Pad comparisons: PFC Brakeman Pagid Carbotech etc...

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has done any pad compound comparisons/research between pad manufacturers? I have experience with performance friction, brakeman and pagid products, but not the full spectrum that each manufaturer offers.

Specifically, I was wondering what compares to:
PFC 01 compound...Pagid Black? Carbotech XP-10? others?
PFC 97 compound...Pagid Orange?...

Can anyone equate Brakeman 3 to any manufacturer's compound? PFC 97?

Has anyone used Carbotech pads?
Has anyone heard of Brakeman 61? PFC 02's or PFC 03's? I have seen mention of
both on their respective sites but never seen them sold anywhere.

I am interested in anyone's experiences with pads (mainly track) and what combinations they have found that worked (front and rear) what didnt, if anyone has personally "ranked" pads best to worst based on track experience.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We ran PFC01 and PFC03. 03 was sold to me as "everything the 01 is and more...." and it wasn't. Nice pedal feel - more like a BM3, not as much of a finesse pad as the 01, but shorter life. Called PFC and they said go back to the 01 for a heavy car like a Viper. That's what we did and it worked.....

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am interested in anyone's experiences with pads (mainly track) and what combinations they have found that worked (front and rear) what didnt, if anyone has personally "ranked" pads best to worst based on track experience.
You'll likely want different pads for track versus street anyway. Track pads are made to give max braking force at extremely high temperatures, at the expense of all else; rotor wear and sound (i.e., most track pads I've used squeak, with some exceptions). Street pads will grip better at the lower temperatures of intermittant use one uses on the street but can't handle the high temperatures of the track, will usually not be as ******* your rotors, and should be quieter. The big difference that has me swapping pads for the street versus the track is the grip - track pads usually don't work well until up to higher temperatures than you should find on the street.

OP
OP
B

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Randy,
Well aware of track vs. Street. I dont care to compare that, but track compounds vs. each other.

Janni,
What do you run in the rear with the 01's up-front? If you wanted to go to a pad that is less finesse up-front, what would the "runner-up" choice be? Have you tried the 99's or 97's?

Does anyone know if Brakeman 3 is = to ??? Its definately not PFC 01...

Any Pagid/Carbotech/Hawk/Porterfield/Wilwood users out there?

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BM 3s are slightly grippier than PFC 90. BM 4 seems to have about the same torque curve as the #3, but is compounded for higher rotor temps. I've gone through a full set of BM 3 or 4 in a weekend, while the rears will last 6 or more weekends with the stock rear piston size. BM will release better than the PFC 90. I really like the PFC 01 compound. Good bite, modulates and releases well - quite similar to the PFC 93 which I really liked, but were rather severe on rotors and seals and bearings at 1400F temps.

The PFC 90 rears will outlast the BM 3s, which means I can get about 2 years on a set. Both will come on more quickly with up to about 500F rotor temps, then flatten out as the fronts hit their heat range. Either one will release more slowly than OEM, which works well for trail braking while you modulate the fronts with toe pressure. Here, I give a slight edge to the BM 3 with OEM rear calipers. If I went to Tom's up-sized pistons, the PFCs might be the ticket.

OP
OP
B

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Dean. Rotor wear must have been improved on the 01's vs the 93's because I am seeing very good wear, or lack of...They wear great too, only downside is they COST. You get what you pay for...

DAWING

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I ran the pagid blacks on the front of my 01 GTS and the Brakemans on the rear.Even with 3" ducting blowing thru the rotors I baked the Blacks heat cracked the rotors and melted a lot of front end rubber after 2 10-15 min.sessions.I don't care what pads you run.If you run ******* stock brakes with even endurance pads you will loose your brake pedal.I am mounting Brembo 355/345mm brakes tonight.I am teaching at Road America for three days this weekend.I will start out with the Hawk ht-10 if they fail I will try the Hawk Blues.I will eventually try the pagid orange then the blacks.I have used the ht10,s and the orange on my 2900# race car with great lo wear success.The Viper is gonna take a lot more to stop.

I will post my results on the Hawk/Brembo combo next week.

DAWING

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I never did answer your question.I have run every pad you listed.The pagid orange are my favorites based on rotor wear,pedal feel,friction and temp range.A ran a 45min.race with a no cool down red flag nose to tale race with no fade or modulation change.They are worth the extra coin. thats me in the blue

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They wear great too, only downside is they COST. You get what you pay for...

PFC is about double the price of BrakeMan. I get way more than 2X the wear. Bottom line is that the cheaper pads cost more to run.