Padded Lug Nut Sockets

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone have any good suggestions for a padded Lug Nut Socket to avoid damaging both the wheel and the lug nut?

I know about painter's tape around the socket and working on the skill of the nut behind the socket!

Thanks for your input.

wes

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I take good care of my wheels and never needed a padded lug nut socket...didn't even know they made them. Maybe Snap-on or Sears?

OP
OP
S

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny you mentioned Harbor Freight. I called them and they said that they do not carry anything like that! I didn't check for plastic sleeves.

I know Gorilla Automotive makes "thin wall" protective lug sockets.

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an older Harbor freight double ended lug nut socket set. It has the plastic sleeves. It has been replaced with the set that I have a link to below. The are single ended but have the plastic sleeves.
[media]http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_2955.jpg[/media]

Hope this helps.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Switch to McGard spline drive. 1/2 pound lighter than stock.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Please note the complaint-free content. Dave, contemporary mod-rice Viper/Ricer owner, and I approve this message.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
your suspension is very clean....i have another weekend project. :D

Switch to McGard spline drive. 1/2 pound lighter than stock.

Please note the complaint-free content. Dave, contemporary mod-rice Viper/Ricer owner, and I approve this message.

jerseydave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Summit racing sells them with plastic sleeves. If you can't find them let me know and I'll dig out the part number.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LMAO at the title of this thread. ....and the 1st post; Protect yo nutz:rolaugh:

I wasted my money on a plastic/nylon sleeved sockets when on a shopping spree at harbor frieght. They dont even fit in the small bore holes on my HRE's. Nor do most impact sockets. so I have been using a standard sears crafstman socket. Been holding up fine with my cordless impact gun.

AZVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone have any good suggestions for a padded Lug Nut Socket to avoid damaging both the wheel and the lug nut?

I know about painter's tape around the socket and working on the skill of the nut behind the socket!

Thanks for your input.

The socket you need is a Porsche item. The Viper lug nuts are 19mm or a sloppy 3/4. The lug nut bore hole on the std Viper rim is 32mm. Google "porsche lug nut socket". If you look at the lug nut on PCARS.COM you will see the socket I'm referring to. It is a 19mm lug nut size in a 24mm socket & 32mm total width. It works great on the std rims. BUT, I now have Iforged rims that have a 30mm lug nut bore so now it doesn't fit. I looked at some of the other sites (automotion.com) & they look like they might have a smaller width socket.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960