Paint my top yellow, or leave it black. Opinions wanted.

AndyMac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got the gen 2 doors on my 95 now, and I had to modify my top to make the windows work. I will have to paint the top anyway, so should I make it yellow or leave it black. I'm really leaning towards leaving it black.

My car:
You must be registered for see images attach

Gen 2 with yellow top:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
With the black sidepipes and rubber I say BLACK. You could make the scoop yellow!

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It depends, on wether you want it to look like a Roadster or a Coupe.

Black = Roadster
Yellow = Coupe

If it were me, I'd leave it Black. Nice choice in tops, no after thought look.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Either color works with the trunktop. I'd go with black myself.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
+1. To me, it looks better w/the matching yellow top. The black top just doesn't look like its meant to be on a yellow car, IMO

I'd tend to agree but with the black side pipes i think the black top pulls it off. Sorta like the Rug Matching The Curtains so to speak. :D

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like the Mach7 three piece top... nice.

Outside pieces yellow, Center piece black to pull out the side pipes... oh yeah!

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the look of the black top...it is very subtle and makes the RT/10 look very low. IMO, a yellow top makes the car look a lot taller.

Car looks great!

runin1320

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Without the pictures I would have said yellow. After reviewing them both....ONE MORE VOTE FOR BLACK.

Canuck

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here are some (albeit quickly sketched) mockups of full yellow and yellow/black roofs.

All 3 have merits. My only bias is that the glossy black top surface on bright car to me brings to mind the tinted T-tops of late 70s/early 80s era Corvettes. Personally wasn't really a fan of that look, but it is all a matter of preference.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I kinda like the black center band. Maybe if the scoop trim or center (like where the air would be ingested) also had a splash of yellow, that could complete is. Like a 1" wide strip. Nothing more.

SlayerLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep it black. It makes the car look like it has its top off, which is good considering RT/10's don't look good with a top on.

aviatorone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree, paint it black. : )

I like the black top. That view with the black top looks good. What about from the rear? Does it look complete?

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All 3 have merits. My only bias is that the glossy black top surface on bright car to me brings to mind the tinted T-tops of late 70s/early 80s era Corvettes. Personally wasn't really a fan of that look, but it is all a matter of preference.

That was my reasoning behind say paint it yellow. The black look reminded me of my dad's C4 Corvette top.

aviatorone

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thats what I liked about it!! At first glance, I didn't see the 70/80 era Vette... thats a good thing!

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep it black. It makes the car look like it has its top off, which is good considering RT/10's don't look good with a top on.

Nothing looks sillier than the factory hardtop on the RT/10. The 3-panel top has a very sleek look to it and the scoop (is your scoop functional?) looks great.

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sticking with my original post... sides yellow... center piece black to match pipes!

That nice photoshop pic by Canuck verifies it.

Someone mentioned earlier using flat black like the pipes, good idea as well.