Paint problems with my dash redo, help!

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I think I'm having problems b/c of the F'ing humidity here in KY. We have been in a monsoon for a week and finally had a sunny snap today and I checked the humidity was at 71% so I went for it. Well the can started to "spit" which caused problems, F'ing bugs flew into it while I was painting which caused problems and then I had a couple of small runs which I F'ed with while painting and just look bad now.

From a couple feet away it is stunning, but under harsh lights up close you can see these flaws. I'm wondering if I should sand back down the bad spots a little and re-shoot or if that is just a waste. Does anyone know how long I need to wait before sanding this paint, it is the Krylon Fusion? The can doesn't specify but does say it cures in 7 days so I'm not sure. I'm just wondering at this point if I should take it to a auto painter and have them sand it and shoot it for me, I don't know, very frustrated b/c I'm so anal about this car :( Here is a couple pics, looks great from a couple feet, but you can see the close up under a light. I'm new to "spraycan" painting so any help/advice is much appreciated, thanks guys!

Attachments

• DSC01310.jpg
    DSC01310.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC01305.jpg
    DSC01305.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC01307.jpg
    DSC01307.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC01306.jpg
    DSC01306.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC01309.jpg
    DSC01309.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 43
F

FrgMstr

Get the sandpaper out, get rid of the bugs and runs. You can sand after 24 hours for sure. Wait for a lower humidity day. Build you a "paint booth" next time out of a cardboard, only has to be big enough to put the dash in. Shoot it, close it off, and let it dry. The key to doing it right, is good prep, AND VERY LIGHT COATS IN A CLEAN ENVIRONMENT. Do not get in a rush.

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Frg, thanks that is what I was told by another memeber on here as well. I should have waited, I just wanted to get it all back together too fast I guest. Do I need to sand down the entire thing or just my bad spots? Also should I be wet sanding or dry sanding it?

Last edited:

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
block it down so you have a smooth surface and start over with the same kind of paint.... like was said, the preparation is critical........

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Did you sand out all of the texture, or was your dash already smooth?

Mine was smooth after stripping the fuzzy stuff.

block it down so you have a smooth surface and start over with the same kind of paint.... like was said, the preparation is critical........

Sorry for my ignorance, do you mean to take the whole thing down to plastic again or just till the bad spots are smooth with the area around them?

Also how long after painting do I need to wait until I re-install everything? Do I let if fully cure a full week or just the day after kind of thing and be careful? I am assuming it is ok to drive it without the dash, unless that is a no no?

Last edited:

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would fix the bad areas (by dry sanding) Be careful not to sand into the plastic, creating a gouge or low point. When it's smooth as can be, rub the whole thing with the finest paper you have then re-spray as mentioned.

Let it sit for a day or so then carefully re-install. Don't forget to remove the tilt lever on the steering wheel first.

Yes, you can drive it without the dash.

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would fix the bad areas (by dry sanding) Be careful not to sand into the plastic, creating a gouge or low point.

jdeft1 makes a great point! If you get into the plastic too much it could create "fuzzies" that will be very difficult to cover up. Then it's like chasing your tail at that point. If that happens, you'd need to build up the bad areas with a high build primer and take it down smooth above the fuzzies, then paint it. Good luck :)

F

FrgMstr

Frg, thanks that is what I was told by another memeber on here as well. I should have waited, I just wanted to get it all back together too fast I guest. Do I need to sand down the entire thing or just my bad spots? Also should I be wet sanding or dry sanding it?

Solid advice already given.

Dry sanding is fine on that surface, as mentioned, just don't get too aggressive with it. A final sand with something akin to 2000 grit over the entire dash will give you a baby-smooth even finish.

The worst thing you can do when painting is get in a hurry. Put on 6 light coats instead of 2 heavy ones. DON'T GET IN A HURRY! And make you a booth so you can protect your wet paint from contaminants.

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Solid advice already given.

A final sand with something akin to 2000 grit over the entire dash will give you a baby-smooth even finish.

Hey Frg, when you say final, do you mean after paint or before the final paint?

Also I'm feeling much better, took your guys advice and just got done block sanding the bad spots, they are all gone :D I've secured cardboard for a makeshift booth for possibly Friday or Saturday final spray. I went out and got a fresh can today so there wouldn't be any issues with volume. I have pictures of the sanding, it is smooth and no signs of the runs/blemishes anymore, guess I'm good to go right?

I had a buddy tell me today (have no idea how much of an "expert" he is, maybe in his own head) tell me just to shoot the bad spots lightly and it will all "melt" together without respraying eveything, is that solid advice? I'm still a little worried about the "spray booth" idea, just not sure how I'm going to hit everything if it is confined like that :dunno:

Attachments

• DSC01311.jpg
    DSC01311.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC01312.jpg
    DSC01312.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 19

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't make a spray booth for this, just make sure it doesn't fall off a table when you paint it. Go get some red scotch brite and smooth out the rest of your sanded areas so it won't leave a faint line.

This will also help to blend it in so scuff up the surrounding area just a little. Use some Dupli-Color grease and wax remover to clean the surface and let it air dry.

If you have to reshoot the whole thing, don't worry about it. Just apply thin coats and try NOT to run it this time.... :D

I've always loved Dupli-Color spray cans :)

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes you can spot spray it, but I would just expand out from your spot so it will blend everything in. Just don't stop in the middle of your part so you won't leave lines.

Worst case is, you have to sand it again and respray. Patience is the key and this stuff is cheap enough if you're not happy with it.

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, success! I made a paint booth, and took my time, it came out real nice, probably not perfect but really nice. Honestly I am jealous of you guys that can paint absolutely perfect with a rattle can lol. Here is a close up pic of the 2 areas that I showed in the previous post that were the bad runs/smears/defects. Thanks for everyone's help, can't wait to install, I was going to give it a day to dry and install, is that enough time you think or should I wait longer?

Attachments

• DSC01315.jpg
    DSC01315.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC01316.jpg
    DSC01316.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 15

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That looks great! I would wait at least a day. Spray paint usually cures fast but if you're not in any hurry, just wait a little bit longer. :)

Take your time when you re-install it too.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Worth the effort! You'll have it back in just in time for some weekend cruisin'...

F

FrgMstr

Well, success! I made a paint booth, and took my time, it came out real nice, probably not perfect but really nice. Honestly I am jealous of you guys that can paint absolutely perfect with a rattle can lol. Here is a close up pic of the 2 areas that I showed in the previous post that were the bad runs/smears/defects. Thanks for everyone's help, can't wait to install, I was going to give it a day to dry and install, is that enough time you think or should I wait longer?

Congrats! On a job well done. When you go back to install.....wait at LEAST a day. While I will likely get hammered for this, I will many times "bake" parts in the kitchen over at like 130F. Don't think your dash will fit though. :) One thing I do HIGHLY suggest is getting a roll of blue painters masking tape and covering the dash where it might get damaged during install. It will not damage a fully cured paint job and leave not residue. (I use the hell out of the stuff when working on the Viper.)

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well fully cured according to the can is 7 day :omg: So I'll be really careful, would like to get it in this weekend, but I went for a drive today with everything out so maybe I should just wait :dunno:

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly I am jealous of you guys that can paint absolutely perfect with a rattle can lol.

There are some tricks to using a Bomb or Rattle Can. The most important thing is to warm up the can. This will do two things, increase the pressure inside the can and make the paint thinner. This will create a finer paint mist and make it much easier to control how much paint is applied.

If you heat the can, you have to do it gently. This means placing the can in pan or pail of hot water from the tap. To be on the safe side, I wouldn't recommend bringing the temperature of the can above 100F. I have also used a heat gun to heat up the can. But you have to be very careful and make sure that no part of the can get's to hot to touch at anytime.

Sorrow this information is a little late since you have already completed your dash but it will be useful for you next project.