Paint shop mucked up my Viper.......

softuff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Due to vandalism,I had to get my Viper repainted. When shopping for a good shop,the first thing I told everyone was I wanted it to look like it had never been painted....which meant no orange peel & no trash. Well,the car has neither,but it does have a buttload of places in the paint where it looks "cloudy" for lack of a better defenition. There's also some edges where the paint looks burnt.

Can someone tell me what's involved in fixing this....these guys just keep trying to mask it with polish,which is not the answer I was looking for outta them.

I should have known something was up...when I originally pointed out all the bad places on the car,they said they could take care of it in ten minutes. So far,they've had it twice & I am having doubts as to their ability to make this right.

Any help would be greatly appreciated:(

Billy The Kidd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The cloudy appearance, if it does occur in the top coat or clear coat, can be wet sanded out and polished. If it is a bad chemical reaction in the paint that is buried under the clear coat, then that spot will always have that appearance unless repainted. The "burnt" edges is an indication of not properly painting or covering the edges with paint and/or the lack of experience when polishing. Edges are usually avoided when polishing because this can happen. I am sorry to hear that they really didnt give you satisfaction. I would honestly try to talk with the owner and maybe even get another shops opinion/estimate that you can show this shops owner. hope this helps.

fixumm

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Cloudy? not buffed good enought or it was humid out and they did not have a good spray/bake booth or they pounded the clear on and then it would solvent pop or fog in areas.
Burnt Edges? buffing at high speed on edges or paint was fresh when buffing.

28 years in the business.......................

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
May not be the answer you want to hear but I agree. Find a reputable shop with experience painting Vipers. By the way, the damaged panel(s) should be removed prior to being painted.

Heck, I'd be dissatisfied with cloudy panels and burnt edges on a Geo if I paid to have a repaint done.

Like has been said, polishing 101 covers buffing around edges. Or not, as the case is.

So no disrespect to your choice of repair shops, but was this kind of a low bid wins selection process?

OP
OP
S

softuff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heck, I'd be dissatisfied with cloudy panels and burnt edges on a Geo if I paid to have a repaint done.

Like has been said, polishing 101 covers buffing around edges. Or not, as the case is.

So no disrespect to your choice of repair shops, but was this kind of a low bid wins selection process?

No,it was not....that's what has me perplexed. The shop came highly recommended by some friends of mine that had used them for several high end cars.

OP
OP
S

softuff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thy're paying for a professional detailer...*fingers crossed*

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thy're paying for a professional detailer...*fingers crossed*

thats what I was going to suggest. At this point, a strip and repaint. May cause more harm than good. $$ and cents aside.