painting a gen II coupe---

albinonile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Possibly looking at a gen 2 coupe that I want to paint. Looking to do a solid doge color with stripes and curious to see if any board members that have had one painted -trying to find out what a proper paint job should cost.

OP
OP
A

albinonile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thats just for stripes or full paint and stripes and then reclear?

also-does anyone know if dodge makes all factory colors available for sale?

OP
OP
A

albinonile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
got a quote yesterday for $8000---my jaw dropped to say the least!

the job you got done for $4500--were you happy with it?

OP
OP
A

albinonile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$4500 seems reasonable---8k---i hope they at least use vaseline

is that you car you painted in your avatar?_-that is awesome looking--

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup. When I got a 10k quote for stripes and fresh yellow all around...I figured I could do it myself. It had been a few years, but the new paint out there is very forgiving...I probably had a total of $1500 to do the stripe, refinish the facia, sidesills, rear valance, roof scoop, ecetera. Not a show car, but it "hooks hard and goes straight!!" By the way, I grew up in Lake City, Mn.

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was quoted 3500 for paint (race yellow or lamb yellow) and stripes. Entire car and a hood/headlight/ bumper alignment if needed.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a rough 'over the phone' quote from a VERY well respected body/paint shop that does TONS of Viper work, and for a full bead-blast and repaint of my car, it was $10K. I wouldn't pay any less than $8k...you get what you pay for.

OP
OP
A

albinonile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you wouldnt pay less than 8k?

I would--as I think 5 of his 8k is "viper tax"----you can get a superb show quality paintjob on most cars for under 5k

Last edited:

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
$4500 seems reasonable---8k---i hope they at least use vaseline

is that you car you painted in your avatar?_-that is awesome looking--

That is the car in my avatar. It is show quality and I can't find a flaw. Talk to snkbite here on the forum. His wife does a great job and is now doing a custom paint on my SRT. They have painted many Vipers. They are out of Wisc.

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I got a rough 'over the phone' quote from a VERY well respected body/paint shop that does TONS of Viper work, and for a full bead-blast and repaint of my car, it was $10K. I wouldn't pay any less than $8k...you get what you pay for.

I will paint your car for 8k :D

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree, it is not cheap to paint a car "correctly".

tmr4479

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Repaint same color and add stripes 4k with lifetime warranty. Its no harder to paint a viper then any other car. The trick to a good paint job is detrim, pound on the clear, sand and buff. The reason shops want to charge so much is all-over paint jobs ****! They take to long! Base coat is pretty much all the same, its the clear that makes it nice. Dont let anyone try to sell you a bead blast job! Dodge did a pretty good job getting the factory paint to stick, hit it with 400, seal it, shoot your base, hit it with 2 coats of clear. Let it dry for a day, resand with 2000 hit it again with 2 coats of clear let it dry, sand with 1000 then 2000 buff the **** out of it, then it will look like you can swim in it. You can do it in your garage, the key is prep! Easy as can be! Paint is the easy part, its the crashes that are hard.

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
any one that tells you they are going to bead blast your viper is lying. If they do they will ruin the car. You may be able to soda blast it or use plastic media. But unless its been painted more than twice its not necessary.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
any one that tells you they are going to bead blast your viper is lying. If they do they will ruin the car. You may be able to soda blast it or use plastic media. But unless its been painted more than twice its not necessary.

I may be relaying the name/description of the process incorrectly. These guys know what they're doing, based on who sends work their way.

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LMAO at 8k to do single color paint job. Unless yall are talking about completely stripping the car of paint and removing each individual piece and painting. Even then 3-4k..

Yall are getting viper taxed.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have seen Mbccenter's car in person and it looks outstanding. Get up there and enjoy the warmth............ I mean, freezing asscold temps :D :D :D

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The $10K I was quoted was to strip the entire car, re-paint and re-stripe and re-clear. Every panel. I was interested in the "worst case scenario" when I asked for the quote so that any adjustments based on their recommendations would be 'in my favor', so to speak.

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get the trucks in my shop stripped down (blasted) to bare metal, primered, painted, and cleared for $5K. They are a lot bigger than the Viper and the paint jobs are great! I will admit that I'm not quite as picky on them as I would be on my personal car but the shop I use does a good enough job that I will be letting them paint my Viper.

When it comes to paint labor, it all boils down to what they are going to do.

Will they leave the body panels on or take them off? With a Viper, you can have the hood, front facia, rear bumper cover, side sills, doors, and rear light cover off the car in less than four hours. Getting 'em all back on and aligned properly is where the labor comes in but any respectable body shop should be able to make short work of it.

When they paint the stripes, will they cover the entire car? Some shops will remove all the weather-stripping around the rear glass and paint the stripes under spots you wouldn't normally see them. Some shops will just paint up to the glass and call it good.

It also comes down to what you expect. Is the car gonna be a daily driver or a garage queen? I would say you could get by at less than $5K for a daily driver but if you want to have a show car, you are looking at way more than $10K due to the labor involved.

Paint is relatively cheap. All you are paying for is the time (labor) to do the job right.

Good luck!