Parade advise...

Photo pro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1996 RT-10, Black/Silver (9,900mi): I have been asked to drive in a parade for a 6 year-old girl. I don't want anything to happen. Will the sign scratch the paint? (I could request that the sign be backed with micro-fiber material). What would be a maximum weight for the roll bar? Obviously I would use a micro-fiber towel. Will the car overheat? I have seen kids throw candy back to the cars (I could carry a gun in case that happened). Any suggestions...

2001 Sapphire Blue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Start working out with your left leg...you're gonna need it to push in the clutch a hundred times during the parade. I would think over-heating is also a concern, but the look on the kids' faces might just be worth it!!

MOZART

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I RECENTLY DROVE THE HOMECOMING KING AND QUEEN IN THE HOMECOMING PARADE IN MY RT 10 NO PROBLEMS JUST ENJOY THE PARADE. I DO THIS EVERY YEAR AND IT'S A LOT OF FUN

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about overheating; your fan should kick in and keep the gague out of the red... but yes, your left leg will get a good workout.

That's actually a good question as to how much weight the sport bar can hold... but I'd bet that it would support a 6 year old no problem.

Sounds like it will be fun! :)

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1996 RT-10, Black/Silver (9,900mi): I have been asked to drive in a parade for a 6 year-old girl. I don't want anything to happen. Will the sign scratch the paint? (I could request that the sign be backed with micro-fiber material). What would be a maximum weight for the roll bar? Obviously I would use a micro-fiber towel. Will the car overheat? I have seen kids throw candy back to the cars (I could carry a gun in case that happened). Any suggestions...

Greg, My advise: Find a 23 yr old instead of a 6 yr old :laugh:

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove my '93 in the Idianapolis parade (VOI2 or 3) without any problems. Have also done high school senior prom events with high schoolers on the bar without problems. Can't address the candy throwing however.

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Left leg will be worked out. Watch out if there are beads thrown, they will stick on your tired tread & pop your paint each time around. Make a good CD for the cruise &
mine did not overheat in a mardis gras parade ( 100,000) people lined up & it was LOOONG no overheating.

Andy

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At Voi 3 in Indy several people had one or 2 people sitting and standing :( on the roll bar. No problems noticed.

But anyone stands on mine they better have a BIG gun!

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our local club does a parade every year and it's a lot of fun. The kids seem pretty respectful of the Vipers. If they aren't, just rev the motor and they'll scatter :) I don't think you'll have any problems, just put something down to protect the paint and as already mentioned, the left leg does get a workout if the parade is very long.

Parade_Route_back.jpg

--- Ken

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I usually take out the seat bottom (easy, there is metal hook at teh front edge of the seat) so they are standing on the metal bottom not the leather, and I wrap a cotton towel around the sportcap where they are sitting and then put duct tape on the edge of the towel, all the way around. This is not as slipper as the sportpad... also prevents paint damage. The sportcap will support a Viper upside down, so I would worry about a six year old...

I had a chance to carry one of the Indy drivers in the parade too. These guys are not kidding about a left leg work out. By the end of the parade I almost made a major faux pas when I accidentally let the cluch out when I THOUGHT I had taken it out of gear... nearly flipped one Indy driver (Buzz Calkins) and his girlfriend of the sportcap, and onto the trunk! If anyone could have taken a picture, it would have been halarious.... he grabbed the sportcap, she grabbed him... and I managed to get the clutch back in before Indy was one driver (and girlfriend) short.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog