Passenger Window Stuck -96GTS

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last night I put my windows up and the passenger side Popped really loud when the window reached the top. Then the window would not come down. The motor and switch are doing there job but it seems like the window is stuck in the rear track because, if you cycle the switch up and down, there is motion at the front part of the window .
This morning I hit the switch and the window popped really loud again and went down. It worked fine the rest of the day(3-4 down and up cycles) until tonight. Now it won't come down again.

Any clue? Has anyone had this happen to them? How hard is it to remove the door panel and inspect the guide rails?

Last edited:

Pressured

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had the same thing happen to my 97 GTS. Mine turned out to be a snapped cable. There is a cable that the motor winds and un-winds to raise and lower the window. The cable runs in little idlers. Mine did the same popping as yours and then eventually just quit. Ordered a new assembly and had it put in. If I remember right the whole thing installed was less than 450.

OP
OP
R

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks. I just got in and after the initial pop, now the window goes up and down again. I read in the Service Manual that nothing in the regulator assemble is servicable. It has to be replaced.....Looks that will have to be soon.....
Thanks again!

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks. I just got in and after the initial pop, now the window goes up and down again. I read in the Service Manual that nothing in the regulator assemble is servicable. It has to be replaced.....Looks that will have to be soon.....
Thanks again!

How many miles on your car and how many actual times have you put the window up and down? I think that is rediclulous if its the passenger window and you don't use it much, all the $$ you pay for these cars and the window dies with a low miles car or the window hasn't been used much, should or been a recall issue.

FLX109

OP
OP
R

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FLX109- My car has 22K miles. I bought it 7 months ago with 15K. First thing I do when I get in the car is put both windows down. I think I caused the problem because the window switch is reversed from my truck. So I kept holding the button down waiting for window to go up and POP. I have yet to open up the panel to find out what happened. I don't put it all the way up for now. If I do, it will get stuck. It is probably a track problem.

Snampro- funny! My other car is a R package Miata ( almost as rare as the Viper,1 of 1200 for 94). When my wife is with me, most of the time she wants the top up. When I bought the Viper she surprised me by saying, I can't wait to go for a ride with the top out...... I just looked at her and shook my head, "Honey, I didn't get that one!" Just goes to show you can never figure them out.
I love my GTS, even if the top doesn't come off :)