Paxton results on my '06 coupe - 672 rwhp 612 ft-lbs

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just picked up the car today from Motorsport Technologies here in Houston. I had them install my Paxton kit and build a custom 3" exhaust system with catalytics. Nick at MTI has been working on Vipers for 10 years, so it was in good hands.

Baseline was 421 rwhp, car has about 3,500 miles on it.
Dynojet SAE 672 rwhp 612 ft-lbs after mods.

This is with the Paxton kit right out of the box, with the Paxton tuning. Only other mod is the custom exhaust (stock manifolds).

You must be registered for see images

Tony

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nice numbers. Im waiting for ILLSMOQ to finish my Paxton install. Im going to put my stock computer in since my current computer had a DC tune for my other mods. Then Ill dyno with Paxton and stock tune with headers,corsa and no cats. Then Im headed down south to A&C Performance for a custom dyno tune. Hoping for at least 700rwhp.

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike, I'm also looking into tuning options. What brand product or tuning software are you going with?

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nine Ball - if you went with the out of the box Paxton don't you already have the Split second system in the car? I have a Paxton but threw the S/S box out with the bath water and had a VEC 3 put in instead.

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nine Ball - if you went with the out of the box Paxton don't you already have the Split second system in the car? I have a Paxton but threw the S/S box out with the bath water and had a VEC 3 put in instead.

You are correct. I just had them use what came with the kit. How much is the VEC?

murci

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW...awesome results. Hope I'll get the same #'s when it's mine turn. PM'ed 'ya.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mike, I'm also looking into tuning options. What brand product or tuning software are you going with?

He is installing a blower tune in the PCM , much like DC Performance does. But he is then going to adjust some things using the split second box Paxton supplies. Ive heard the VEC has more options for tuning. But Ive also heard of guys getting 700-730rwhp by just tweaking the PCM tune and SS box on a dyno.

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I better get my set up going b4 I run across you on the street! Killer numbers and kick ass wheels to match those stripes!!:2tu:

03gobluecobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What kind of dyno was that? The 421 seems a tad low, no?

The 672 sure sounds good though!

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What kind of dyno was that? The 421 seems a tad low, no?

The 672 sure sounds good though!

Ive seen dynos between 430-450rwhp as a average when stock. Then a few that were a little higher or a few that have been in the 420's.

Either way, I dont think Nineball is worried, now that he is packing close to 700 rwhp. :2tu:

ViperDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know the numbers are the numbers - tell us what you think of the car now with the supercharger on it!

How fast it SOTP, how it drives, handles, anything!

dans69ss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car I just bought, also an 06 had the Paxton installed by A.R.T. Car the the DC tune and a VEC 3. Over 700 hp on the dyno at the rear wheels but the car is currently set at around 670. I'm taking off the DC tuned box and putting the original one back to eliminate the slight bucking I have around 1500-2000 rpm when I take my foot off the gas.

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just picked up the car today from Motorsport Technologies here in Houston. I had them install my Paxton kit and build a custom 3" exhaust system with catalytics. Nick at MTI has been working on Vipers for 10 years, so it was in good hands.

Baseline was 421 rwhp, car has about 3,500 miles on it.
Dynojet SAE 672 rwhp 612 ft-lbs after mods.

This is with the Paxton kit right out of the box, with the Paxton tuning. Only other mod is the custom exhaust (stock manifolds).

You must be registered for see images

Tony
Your car was only 421 rwhp before these mods? Anyone else thinking this is low? Sure you love the Paxton though. Enjoy it!

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are correct. I just had them use what came with the kit. How much is the VEC?

You got to talk to Sean Roe or one of his distributors about that. I think I paid like 1,100 or 1,200 plus install. I can tell you this, your numbers are kick ass. Not many owners of a stock paxton install can post those numbers or anywhere near them. My intstall is not out of the can though, I put down 650+ on a mustang dyno with the vec. I would expect on a dyno jet to get 700+. What does all that mean though, who gives a rats ass besides bar stool bragging rites. I put in a LC-1 Wideband controller and am trying to tune to the street, thats where I think most encounters will occur and where it matters most.

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If that is RWHP numbers that sems a little steep on a stock bottom end?? How much power si truly reliable and safe on the stock bottom? I thought when you crossed the 600-625rwhp it's pushing the internals to the limits.... I may be wrong but would like to here what the tuners are saying???

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The dyno is a Dynojet in-ground unit. I've probably made 500+ dyno runs on this dyno with various cars. The guys at the shop also agreed that my baseline numbers were on the low side (usually 440-450 rwhp). But, my car only has 3800 miles on it, and is probably not broken in yet. It will loosen up with some more miles.

pics of the install, looks factory:

You must be registered for see images attach

As for initial impressions, I haven't had a chance to run it through all the gears yet. Thanks Houston traffic! Maybe later on tonight. I only did some 3rd gear pulls on the beltway and it moves out for sure. To be honest, I like roots style blowers and turbos a little better, they are more responsive at low rpm and really grunt. These centrifugals need rpm to feel them. But, when they do hit higher rpm (like 4000+) they MOVE.

Last edited:

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If that is RWHP numbers that sems a little steep on a stock bottom end?? How much power si truly reliable and safe on the stock bottom? I thought when you crossed the 600-625rwhp it's pushing the internals to the limits.... I may be wrong but would like to here what the tuners are saying???

I always heard that 700-750 was max limits if tuned properly on stock bottom end. I know there are plenty of 650-700 rwhp stock bottom end Paxton cars running around. No major problems that Ive heard of untill you exceed that.

ANIL8-U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what kind of dyno do they use and what was the A/F ratio? My car made 620 and 589 at woodhouse last week. (mustang dyno)

My car has the DC computer, high flow kats and FMU for fuel.

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a hard time putting down the stock 510HP on cool days.
Just curious, how is everyone with these super HP #'s getting the power to the pavement without losing traction?

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Paxton made 704 rwhp on a Dynojet. My friend Chris had same set up and his put down 690rwhp. Now that I have the SCT DC tune it runs soo much harder from all rpms. If you haven't get a tune I love it. Also get the DLM cooler it makes a big difference in the heat soak issue.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
cool stuff welcome to the paxton club:drive:

not too crazy about seeing the fuel pumps and FCU under the hood though...the wires leading into the fuse box either....actually it doesn't look factory to me but it does look like they followed the instructions to the T.

You could fine tune the visual details on your own I'm sure.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This looks a little more factory, no wiring , fuel pumps, FCU, etc to be seen.
CIMG3502.JPG

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just curious, how is everyone with these super HP #'s getting the power to the pavement without losing traction?

It is called the throttle pedal, or driver skill. You simply do not floor it until 3rd gear. For 1st and 2nd you push it just to the brink of wheel spin, and learn to control it.

ANIL8-U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those numbers see high for a stock Paxton kit and no tune. I have seen 690 to 700 after a VEC III and fuel system.

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To be honest, I like roots style blowers and turbos a little better, they are more responsive at low rpm and really grunt. These centrifugals need rpm to feel them. But, when they do hit higher rpm (like 4000+) they MOVE.
Yeah you would love the ROE thats for sure, gives you that low end grunt you are looking for. Cmon Sean you have to be close ;)