Paxton Supercharger 10lb pulley

PJJP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Anyone running this? I saw it on the racing solutions web site. will this put me over the limit for the stock bottom end?

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tread very lightly on increasing the stock Paxton output without beefing up your internals and driveline. The stock Paxton comes very close to being the maximum output while still being very reliable.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah call DLM . 305-249-7223 id be more worried about the fuel system but im sure the bottom end is close to its end at that point. but doug WILL have those answers for sure.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone running this? I saw it on the racing solutions web site. will this put me over the limit for the stock bottom end?

Yes. Minimally you will need to change out your pistons. And, as stated above, give one of our sponsor tuners a call. Doug's in Florida. Dan Cragin is in California.

OP
OP
P

PJJP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was actually curious if more boost + a more safer/conservative tune would still be ok for a net small net increase in power. I will call Doug next week.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a "conservative" tune.....With the stock pully I saw low 11/high 12 AFR. With the 10 pound pully I see mid 11's on a warm day and 12.0's on a colder day.

Data logging with the LM1 wide band

LM1RUNK.JPG

Data loggin with the split second R4 program

10_POUNDD.JPG

here is a pic of the pully

CIMG3854.JPG

not much to look at...but the trained eye can pick it out as I found out last night. I was hoping to keep this one a secret for a while but, Mr 2002 GTS ACR knows his supercharged vipers pretty well :2tu:

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
oh and I run a 50/50 mix of 100/91 octaine or better...
Does that higher octane mixture actually help? Going to too high an octane can actually hurt power if u dont have the c/r to take advantage of it....flame propagation may not have enough time to reach its optimal temp. U done dyno's with and w/out this mixture?

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We drive these things pretty hard out here, I'm willing to give up some HP for some added safety.

This is the fuel mixture I run in this car...so yes, all of my dyno runs with the SC have been with this fuel...I'm due to dyno it again...currious to see if I break the "700" mark.

OP
OP
P

PJJP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So...you actually have this installed...was this your 'secret weapon'?
good to know I will not be the test rat. I will be running on 93 octane.

I bet you hit the 700 mark. Please let us know.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Yep, he made up his loss to me with the pulley and 3:55 gears. Now he edges me out, where I had him pretty good before. And when his lighter rotors get here next week, he will definatley leave me behind. My reign was short lived, oh well, guess I need a pulley now too.:D

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, he made up his loss to me with the pulley and 3:55 gears. Now he edges me out, where I had him pretty good before. And when his lighter rotors get here next week, he will definatley leave me behind. My reign was short lived, oh well, guess I need a pulley now too.:D

any bets as to who pops a motor first???:nitrous:

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If you intend to make this pulley change you may want to look into switching over to the ati damper as well. The stock damper is not that strong and quite a few have had them break or crack. The smaller pully will put more stress on the stock damper. Doug urged me to swap the damper and I had reason enough to change it just from reading posts on this site about the stock one breaking.

One thing worth noting on the ati damper.....it needs to be machined for the SRT timing cover. If it is not machined it will make contact with the cover and that could be a problem. I ended up getting the pully, belt and damper from Doug and the roe crank pin kit from roe racing. When I installed the parts I saw what Doug ment about the necessity of machining the damper. Everything fit perfect.

call Doug.

OP
OP
P

PJJP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Did Doug send you a pre-machined damper?

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
PJJP,

Paxton Supercharger 10lb pulley "Anyone running this?" Yes.

"I saw it on the racing solutions web site. will this put me over the limit for the stock bottom end?" Yes. Pistons would be a minimum. I'd go to forged rods too.

Mike and ILLSMQU,

At 10 lbs max boost, one or the other of you will likely pop your engine before long on your stock parts - I did. Have fun while it lasts. I suggest you try and limit your runs to short bursts.

Longer runs, like a quarter or 1/2 mile will likely cause lean conditions.

Change to the ATS damper as recommended. Consider a bigger intercooler set up.

Running higher octane gas will help.

DC Performance can add fuel (re-tune) with the stock computer. Consider doing this too.

Dan

OP
OP
P

PJJP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I already have the larger intercooler and a handheld tuner, so a new tune would be easy to get. The pulley on the RSI website is 3.25" with a photo of a 3.33". Acording to Doug, DLM sells a 3.5"(what smoq has) and stock is 3.75". He also mentioned "playing with fire" and seemed most concerned about getting fuel as the main thing.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I already have the larger intercooler and a handheld tuner, so a new tune would be easy to get. The pulley on the RSI website is 3.25" with a photo of a 3.33". Acording to Doug, DLM sells a 3.5"(what smoq has) and stock is 3.75". He also mentioned "playing with fire" and seemed most concerned about getting fuel as the main thing.

Yeah when i bought it he never really said it was a "ten" pound pulley, but I'm hitting ten pounds per the split second box. Fun stuff:2tu:

OP
OP
P

PJJP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think I will wait a few months and see if your motor holds up before I try it out. I am having a fidanza flywheel installed on Friday, so that should keep me happy for another week. I have stoptech rotors on order(backorder). Seems like I am never satisfied...

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike and ILLSMQU,

At 10 lbs max boost, one or the other of you will likely pop your engine before long on your stock parts - I did. Have fun while it lasts. I suggest you try and limit your runs to short bursts.

Longer runs, like a quarter or 1/2 mile will likely cause lean conditions.

Change to the ATS damper as recommended. Consider a bigger intercooler set up.

Running higher octane gas will help.

DC Performance can add fuel (re-tune) with the stock computer. Consider doing this too.

Dan

As always, thanks for tips Dan. I'm running a lot of race gas and I try to let the motor cool a bit between blasts which is usually 3rd to 4rth.....and I've already accepted that sooner or later the motor is gonna blow.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I will wait a few months and see if your motor holds up before I try it out. I am having a fidanza flywheel installed on Friday, so that should keep me happy for another week. I have stoptech rotors on order(backorder). Seems like I am never satisfied...

probably smart;)

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
PJJP,

If you have a blower on your car, I would not recommend a lighweight flywheel. Been there, tried that, didn't work well.

The parasitic loss of the blower is much more noticable at low rpm, like getting the car moving from a stop up a hill.

Dan

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
PJJP,

If you have a blower on your car, I would not recommend a lighweight flywheel. Been there, tried that, didn't work well.

The parasitic loss of the blower is much more noticable at low rpm, like getting the car moving from a stop up a hill.

Dan

Jon 20002 ACR has a lightweight flywheel on his06 SRT blower car and loves it. His car stays up pretty close with mine, due to the flywheel and lighter rims, smaller tires. And he has less mods on his car otherwise. I think its probably a worthwhile mod if your in there doing a clutch

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PJJP,

Dan

I dissagree, and I even have stock gears. I have maybe killed the car 2 times while letting IT back itself up ramps or forward over big obsticles AT IDLE... i'm telling you, I have had no problems with my alumn flywheel and if you have gears, it completely negates any minute chance of issue. But I'm stock gears, stock paxton kit and exhaust system, and I'm perfectly good and HAPPY with the alumn flywheel.

Jon

OP
OP
P

PJJP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have decided to try it(flywheel). If I don't like it, I will just switch back. Thank you all for your comments both for and against it.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll end up with one at some point...there is a used fidanza in the classifieds for 100 bucks....otherwise summit racing has it at 479.00

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Masterofzen