Pilot Sport Cups - Are there left and right tires?

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had a new set of Cups put on and noticed that the tread design on all 4 is identical. This means that the inner half of the tire has grooves that angle back on the right side of the car but angle forward on the left side. To me that doesn't seem right. I checked the old set that were removed and they are the same. Perhaps someone could post a picture of the tread design to demonstrate what I mean. With this tread design it seems that there should be both right and left side tires in the set. Does this make sense to anyone?

Bob K

OP
OP
B

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck,
The inner half of the tire has a totally different tread design than the outer half so there is no question as to how they should be mounted. I cannot find a directional indicator on the tires.

Bob K

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought the same thing when I got mine a couple of weeks ago. I called Luke at the Tire Rack and he said they are not directional. Though they are marked OUTSIDE to specify that the slick portion is towards the outside of the wheel. If you look in my photo galley there are pictures of the tread design. I have them on the car now, and have not noticed any odd handling characteristics. In fact they really stick when warm.

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah bob ^^^^^^ what he said. i noticed the same thing with mine but again they are not directional tires. just make sure you have the tire mounted on the rim correctly. in otherwords the dimpled slick portion is mounted on the outside of the rim and the treaded portion mounts on the inside of the rim. i took mine up to a speed of 189 mph last weekend and the grip is just phenomenal in the corners. i luv these tires. i believe they will proove to be the ultimate tire for open road racing events such as the silver state classic we are doin next week.

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OUTSIDE should be facing the outside of the car. the slick portion. check for it & hit up the mounter to R&R if not correct.