Pistol Grip Shifter Knob

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had seen a thread in the past that showed a nice pistol grip shift knob..... I know probably not "practical", which means it'll be just right for a Viper. Below is a picture of the one I'm interested in (I think a member had done a few as one-off's?)

Plum, I think I broke the search button and still couldn't locate the older thread ;) I did find a couple of links while searching, but these don't seem quite as nice.

BTR Viper Performance Shifter
Dogde Viper Manual Shifters Gunslinger Shifters VIPER SHIFTERS

If any of you guys/gals can point me in the right direction to look into purchasing the one pictured (if available to public)...... I'd appreciate it. :D

Attachments

• thisnthat_008.jpg
    thisnthat_008.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 170

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it went on a sequential tranny it'd be fine. But on a H-pattern it will exacerbate the often missed 2-3 shift and probably 3-4 and 4-5. If you get one, keep the stocker nearby.

RevHeat

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The most common missed shift with the Viper occurs when the driver intends to shift from 3rd to 4th and instead goes from 3rd to 2nd. This unfortunate miss shift can cause motor/transmission damage and/or a spin. When shifting using the normal pistol grip, you will make this mistake often. As such, I suggust you not use the pistol grip and learn to shift in the correct position by cupping the palm of your hand over to top of the knob and let your fingers extend down to lever shaft to provide guidance.

Here is the proper hand position for shifting from 1st to 2nd and 3rd to 4th gear:

You must be registered for see images

Here is the correct position for shifting from 2nd into 3rd:

In addition, you should never rest your hand on the shift knob when not shifting.

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The most common missed shift with the Viper occurs when the driver intends to shift from 3rd to 4th and instead goes from 3rd to 2nd. This unfortunate miss shift can cause motor/transmission damage and/or a spin. When shifting using the normal pistol grip, you will make this mistake often. As such, I suggust you not use the pistol grip and learn to shift in the correct position by cupping the palm of your hand over to top of the knob and let your fingers extend down to lever shaft to provide guidance.

Here is the proper hand position for shifting from 1st to 2nd and 3rd to 4th gear:

Here is the correct position for shifting from 2nd into 3rd:

In addition, you should never rest your hand on the shift knob when not shifting.

Why is this? I do this quite a bit when driving a manual trans.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Resting your hand on the lever can cause increased wear in the synchros. Don't do it, not only in a Viper, but with any manual transmission.

OP
OP
S

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Guys,

Actually I was hoping to use just the top of the pistol grip as if it was a ball (as pictured). I don't think using it as a true pistol grip would be good for the reasons stated. "Show must not impede Go" :D Heat could also be an issue, both transmission and sun. I just liked the cool factor, and wondered if I could even find one like it.

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In addition, you should never rest your hand on the shift knob when not shifting.[/QUOTE]

and surely no one that owns a Viper drives with their left foot resting on the clutch pedal......:crazy2: :eater:

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score

and surely no one that owns a Viper drives with their left foot resting on the clutch pedal......:crazy2: :eater:

and surely no one drives with their left arm hanging out the window with a pack of cigarettes rolled up in the sleeve of their white t-shirt.:nono:

1HOTV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
and surely no one drives with their left arm hanging out the window with a pack of cigarettes rolled up in the sleeve of their white t-shirt.:nono:

Having your left arm hanging out the window is the bomb. The reaction time to wave to all your friends is much faster:fart::buttkick:

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I owned a 1972 Challenger with the 4 spd A 833 tranny , Hurst competition pistol grip shifter for eight years that I bought new. Loved the grip and never had problems with the H pattern . Driven the new Challenger srt8 with the similarly fashioned pistol grip and found it very precise to shift with. Aren't the newer Vipers share the same tranny with the srT 8 Challenger, just wondering ? ;)

ksipes1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I owned a 1972 Challenger with the 4 spd A 833 tranny , Hurst competition pistol grip shifter for eight years that I bought new. Loved the grip and never had problems with the H pattern . Driven the new Challenger srt8 with the similarly fashioned pistol grip and found it very precise to shift with. Aren't the newer Vipers share the same tranny with the srT 8 Challenger, just wondering ? ;)

I have the Hurst black pistol grip shifter handle and use as a daily driver. I haven't had any issues missing any shifts with it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gunslinger reproduction Pistol Grips are beautifully made, in fact I think he makes the repro ones for Hurst now. I put one in a friend's Chally.

OP
OP
S

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Attachments

• thisnthat_008.jpg
    thisnthat_008.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 24

Forum statistics

Threads