Plastic K&N Intake for 02 ACR

TorontoACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I noticed while cleaning my 02 ACR air filter that the plastic intake where the filter goes has a very awkward dent that does not allow direct contact with any of the in-coming air. If this was cut out or if a new air filter piece was installed for more ram air like in the old days would this add some more horsepower. Anybody have any suggestions

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That piece is to block water from entering the intake during either driving in the rain or at a car wash etc.

You can eliminate that profile by cutting it out and riveting in a piece of aluminum or plastic.

Any benefit from that is a dynamic mod - it will not show any improvement while the car sits static on a dyno. If you can find a dyno in a wind tunnel then please post those results - wind and no wind.

OP
OP
T

TorontoACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. So you are saying that I wont see any improvement in performance by cutting it out so that there is no restriction and will act as Ram air. I would think it would show a big increase in power seeing that there is no obstruction of the incoming air. Anyone else have any thought on whether I should cut it out or is there another air filter intake

That piece is to block water from entering the intake during either driving in the rain or at a car wash etc.

You can eliminate that profile by cutting it out and riveting in a piece of aluminum or plastic.

Any benefit from that is a dynamic mod - it will not show any improvement while the car sits static on a dyno. If you can find a dyno in a wind tunnel then please post those results - wind and no wind.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So you are saying that I wont see any improvement in performance by cutting it out so that there is no restriction and will act as Ram air. I would think it would show a big increase in power seeing that there is no obstruction of the incoming air. Anyone else have any thought on whether I should cut it out or is there another air filter intake

That is damn near the most ignorant response I've ever seen to something I've said.

Let's review, and I've used the bold text feature above to assist.

Dave says... If it does work, it will be at speed only. Ram air???

Toronto says... Dave says it won't work.

Do people say ship like that just to duck with me?

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
decaf for the rest of the day dave :lmao:

me thinks smoty said "dynamic mod" in canadian means " I wont see any improvement in performance by cutting it out"

:usa: :can1: :tx: can't we all just get along

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
T

TorontoACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
actually, your response was the stupid one. cant you just say that it will show an increase in power but only while in motion. What is this crap of Dynamic mod. Say it like it is and stop trying to be a smart ass about it.

That is damn near the most ignorant response I've ever seen to something I've said.

Let's review, and I've used the bold text feature above to assist.

Dave says... If it does work, it will be at speed only. Ram air???

Toronto says... Dave says it won't work.

Do people say ship like that just to duck with me?

OP
OP
T

TorontoACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there someone out there that can tell me if their are some aftermarket parts of this kind or should I just modify it myself. Anyone know How much power this mod will make in terms of HP

Thanks

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I doubt you will see any benefit..

First you would need to understand how a NACA duct works. The shape creates opposing vortices, in otherwords twirling air on each side of the NACA duct and this opposing twirling airflow on either side of the inlet pulls air into the inlet. The is not a ram air setup, a NACA inlet is completely different. Ram air inlet is typically a scoop which grabs air. Ram scoops need to be positioned higher than the low air speed boundary or right in front of the fascia. Whereas a NACA duct draws air down into the duct like a vacuum. Engine vacuum will promote the vortices and will help draw the air in. NACA ducts are not known for creating high ram pressure. If you had a ram air scoop I would then suggest a wind tunnel test to measure increased pressure. The key benefit of your NACA intake setup is pulling in cold air (not from the engine bay) without significantly disturbing the aerodynamics of the car (like having a raised ram scoop).

See this post.. the race GTS-R has a ram air setup, collecting air from the grille opening not with a NACA duct.
http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/629926-some-gts-r-pics.html

Take it from a Canadian eh'..
Regards,
Mike

PS - Dave.. I thought you bought a book on aerodynamics or race car body design year or so ago?

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TorontoACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I appreciate the response and the detailed explanation. That is the type of response I was looking. Much appreciated

I doubt you will see any benefit..

First you would need to understand how a NACA duct works. The shape creates opposing vortices, in otherwords twirling air on each side of the NACA duct and this opposing twirling airflow on either side of the inlet pulls air into the inlet. The is not a ram air setup, a NACA inlet is completely different. Ram air inlet is typically a scoop which grabs air. Ram scoops need to be positioned higher than the low air speed boundary or right in front of the fascia. Whereas a NACA duct draws air down into the duct like a vacuum. Engine vacuum will promote the vortices and will help draw the air in. NACA ducts are not known for creating high ram pressure. If you had a ram air scoop I would then suggest a wind tunnel test to measure increased pressure. The key benefit of your NACA intake setup is pulling in cold air (not from the engine bay) without significantly disturbing the aerodynamics of the car (like having a raised ram scoop).

See this post.. the race GTS-R has a ram air setup, collecting air from the grille opening not with a NACA duct.
http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/629926-some-gts-r-pics.html

Take it from a Canadian eh'..
Regards,
Mike

PS - Dave.. I thought you bought a book on aerodynamics or race car body design year or so ago?

OP
OP
T

TorontoACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Dynamic term is not a smart ass comment. But not being polite and being insulting about it is being a smart ass.

I don't see anything smart ass about him saying dynamic. It is an appropriate term for the situation. If you don't know that a word means go to Google and search it.