Played Cat and mouse w/ a Porsche today

GCHDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the way out of town today a new Porsche Turbo wanted a little, and that is just what he got. I can't say for sure that he was giving it his all but I had to keep hitting the brakes to keep from running over him. It would make me sick to know that I spent 100 large more on a 8 year newer Exotic Car and still got spanked by a Old Viper. His tag frame said "Porsche There's No Substitute" I think he needs to watch a little less Risky Business and admit that today he was schooled. Kind of wish I had a plate frame for him to have read "Porsche For Lunch".

RedSnakeGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont know about the money thing, b/c there are some things that he might find that he likes better in the porsche besides going fast. i hate it when vette owners claim they paid less and ran on a viper, so i dont think i could ever bring the money factor into the equation. if he wanted a viper, he would have bought one, just like i could have had a vette, and modded it cheaper, gone faster, etc....

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know from the previous discussions the 993TT was just a hair slower than the Viper.

If it was a pretty hot day and he was running 90 octane gas or lower, you probably would have an edge. (The Porsche detunes itself if it thinks the gas is suspect and the performance seems to drop with temperature)

Frustrating thing is to determine how hard he was going at it. I had an open road relative performance evaluation with a 996TT in my M5. He didn't seem to be pulling away from me. Was he giving it just enough to pull ahead and no more or did he have it opened up all the way? I'll never know and he probably wants to keep it that way.

I know if my wife is driving in the area I tend to not want to go too ******* it due to the fact I may not be able to drive my kids around in the car if I get spotted. Perhaps he was in a similar situation.

I understand the stock 996TT may not be as fast as the 993TT.

Tom B

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Actually the phrase on his tag is used in many Porsche advertisements, just borrowed by the movie. Don't kid yourself, if both cars are close to stock, it's about even, if someone gets a slight jump, that's the way it would end. If you should run into a X50, or a GT-2, chances are you'll see their rear lights. Keep in mind that the TT996 is as easy, or easier to modify then the Viper. Being a owner of a 02 GTS, and a 03 X-50, it's hard to compare the cars from strictly a $$$ standpoint, they are very different.
Tom

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a gut that wants to race me pretty badly. He's got an 02 turbo. I think he'd definitely have the advantage out of the hole because of the AWD, but after that I think it shifts more to my side. I guess we'll see.

ZX1100

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know Paolo C. has taken down a few TT's in a mainly stock GTS. I believe one was just recently. Seemed like he had no problems with it from a stop or roll but it could have been the driver.

OP
OP
G

GCHDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a GEN2 car should be able to beat a 996TT
Well Yesterday a Gen I did and by the way it was a turbo I could hear it. Never the less it sure was fun, a whole lot of fun :D Someone made the statement that they are very close in performance and I would have to agree. I know that he had to shift before I did because I had to let out of it to keep from rearending him and he was winding it out from the stop sign.

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That sounds like fun. I think Porsche turbos (especially 993TTs and 996TTs) are great cars, and I have run with a couple on some different track days. We were pretty close overall, although neither one of us was driving at the limits. The Porsche would have an advantage in braking, although I honestly believe the high speed acceletation of the Viper was better.

Porsche turbos are expensive, but it just depends on what you want in a car. I ended up buying a Viper and a Z06 rather then a Porsche Turbo, although I'm sure I would have enbjoyed the Porsche.

Jim

RedSnakeGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well Yesterday a Gen I did and by the way it was a turbo I could hear it. Never the less it sure was fun, a whole lot of fun :D Someone made the statement that they are very close in performance and I would have to agree. I know that he had to shift before I did because I had to let out of it to keep from rearending him and he was winding it out from the stop sign.

didnt your original post claim you didnt know if he was getting on it or not? how can you claim a kill..........

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I raced a 911 turbo in my Creampuff. The 911 has a definite advantage until the viper gets traction, then the viper has the advantage.

I also drove a coworker's 2002 911 turbo back to back with my GTS. When I let my friend drive my car, the first thing he said when he hit the gas was, "There is no way my car is this fast."

The 911 turbo is a really cool car but just isn't as fun as the viper, Gen I or Gen II.

OP
OP
G

GCHDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
didnt your original post claim you didnt know if he was getting on it or not? how can you claim a kill..........
I don't know if he was all the way in it while racing up from 75-125 and so forth but I feel pretty sure that he was tacking it out from the stop light. I was just posting a reply to some of our famous enthusiasts who know more about owning a Viper than I do. I have had Turbo Porsches in the past and am very familiar with them and their acceleration characteristics. Although I have not owned a 01-03. It was not like we were sitting side by side on a drag strip and had a Christmas tree light to start from. It was just a little bit of "spirited driving" :D

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Definitely! I've seen extensive video of a stock Viper whipping up on an AWD 996TT Porsche in every conceivable way (i.e., dead stop, rolling starts at various speeds, high-speed runs, quick jumps by the Porsche, etc.) The video was taken from inside the Porsche and the commentary is hilarious!

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a Porsche on EVRERY corner in my hood. I can go for a Sunday drive and count probably 20 of them, along with several dozen Corvettes. Granted, only 2 or 3 are turbos, but I'm lucky if I see one Viper. I chose to go against the grain. The Viper feels like more of a race car to me, and it gets a TON of attention!

Birvini

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a Porsche on EVRERY corner in my hood. I can go for a Sunday drive and count probably 20 of them, along with several dozen Corvettes. Granted, only 2 or 3 are turbos, but I'm lucky if I see one Viper. I chose to go against the grain. The Viper feels like more of a race car to me, and it gets a TON of attention!

When do we get the details of you spanking your new neighbors??? I'm still waiting for the video!! :cool:

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check your old MT or C&D mags guys...You will see that the GTS just eats up a 993tt at anything above 100mph....In the standing mile the Viper was about 7mph and almost .8 secs ahead of the 993 on one test to the end of the mile...Both cars on the same day, same track....The 996 are a tad slower than the 993's from most mags numbers I've seen if you go for mag numbrs.. ...that being said its a tough task for a Gen 1 to take out a 993 or 996...They both trap higher and are almost a sec faster in the 1/4mph not to mention much better aerodynamics at tripple digit speeds....

Theres a post in this section with a Viper with cat-back only vs a 996 with the X-50 pkg :eek: from the factory...The races were verrry close with the Viper comming out on top by a nose...I fully expected the 996 to eek out a win against a GTS with just a cat-back....Makes you respect the Viper even more...

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I really HATE about the 996TT is the AWD, hate it.

The GT2 is suce a pure car, one of the few I would have to think long and hard if the key to either a GT2 or GTS were offered to me for an afternoon.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The GT2 is suce a pure car, one of the few I would have to think long and hard if the key to either a GT2 or GTS were offered to me for an afternoon.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed....I love the look...Its the only version of the current body I really love.....If you choose the GTS better get some Stoptechs to be able to beat that GT2 on a track...It is no joke on a track....Its like a high-tech Viper...RWD, slotcar handling, and a bad attitude....Not sure which is faster not quicker in the quarter..Not et, I mean mph...Ive seen 118-121 in mags which is right smack dab in Viper territory....

I would pay good money to see these two cars flogged around a track by experienced drivers....The GT2 is the one car that really exposses the Vipers one short comming in stock form...BRAKES....The snake's been killing everything including 993tt's ffor years even with those comparably weak brakes on roadcourses. Them brakes is the main reason the Z06 is a good match for it on roadcourses.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't care if it was a Pinto, any excuse to drive fast sure makes for alot of fun. Spirited driving is what I am all about even if I end up 2nd.

RedSnakeGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

speaking of your hood, i saw a yellow rt/10 today at 75 and mockingbird. i have seen him a few times lately, any idea?

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sunday before last, I went out cruising around with my buddy in his R/T. We saw two GT2's! I still get excited when I see one of those, but I don't really even blink an eye when I see any of the others anymore. Heck, I see more Ferrarri's around than Vipers! Unless I'm at the Viper Club meeting that is. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960