Please explain the ASD operation.

vincy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-s...g-fuses-mopar-controller-engine-problems.html

I am having trouble with my 2008, link is above. It keeps blowing the fuse ASD1. To keep things simple I decided to ask this question in a separate thread.

ASD1 is blowing when the engine is asked for full poweer, typically when shifting.

What does the ASD system do? I heard there is a relay, where is it and what does it do?

Is ASD part of the rev limiter? Or is it to shut down the engine when there is a problem? Is there a ASD for each enging bank? Or how are the cylinders divided?

Thanks to all.

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have two relays called auto shut down relays each powering the coils and injectors on each bank on you're vehicle. You have two fuses protecting the relays. The computer will take power away from these relays if you want to shut the engine off or if does not see a crankshaft signal. It is not used as a limiter, more as an off switch.

You are blowing the fuse, so you have something taking to much power from bank one. I would still switch to the old OEM pcm as a quick check. (it is under a plastic cover beside the upper rad hose, three 7 mm bolts hold the pcm in)

If the pcm did not fix it. I would inspect the wiring. If you still did not find a problem, i would start switching compoents from bank 1 to bank 2 untill the fuse on bank two blows.

The following is powered by ASD 1

injectors 1, 3, 5, 7, 9.
coils 1, 3, 5, 7, 9.
mass air flow sensor on the drivers side
oxygen sensor heaters on the drivers side
the control side of the ac compressor relay

The following is powered by ASD 2

injectors 2, 4, 6, 8, 10.
coils 2, 4, 6, 8, 10.
mass air flow sensor on the passenger side
oxygen sensor heaters on the passenger side

OP
OP
V

vincy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. My viper tech broke his foot and has been out of work. He should be back soon and I'll print this all out and give it to him. Thanks

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Never overlook the possibility of O2 sensor wire problems especially with the addition of headers...have seen several cases of melted/damaged wires that have caused full shutdown via ASD relays.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VinhyVegas