Please help - loud clunk from the rear

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greetings,

I have been hearing a loud clunk in the driveline when I aggressively downshift from 3rd to 2nd. It sounds like a freaking fire ******* going off in the rear. There is no visible crack or twist in the drive shaft. I took the car to a local dealership. They had the car for 2 days and with about 40 more miles on the odo they are telling me they don't have a clue.

Through discussion with Chuck Tator, I am planning to go back to the dealership to re-torque the tranny and diff mount. Is there anything else that I can request them to look over? Evidently, the dealership did absolutely nothing to resolve the problem other than taking it for a drive. They "think" it's either tranny or suspension. I have no other driveability issues other than intermittent clunk mentioned above.

Thanks in advance for any leads

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Through discussion with Chuck Tator, I am planning to go back to the dealership to re-torque the tranny and diff mount.

That would be the first thing I would check.

Vic on here also had a sound that was coming from the rear which turned out to be the wheel hub.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dealer only resolved my clunking after finally getting Chuck (Tator) on the phone and getting his input. Get under car and torque everything to specs, check hubs, check for washers above the dogbone that don't belong there. Check u-joint caps for movement etc. Ugly process of elimination.

Tomcat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had same problem and the fix was.........Replaced half shafts and retorqued everything. Just retorquing did not fix my problem.

OP
OP
S

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like various different things can cause loud clunk. Mine happened to be broken transmission mount. Luckily, they had the part in stock and got it done in 10min. No more noise.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like various different things can cause loud clunk. Mine happened to be broken transmission mount. Luckily, they had the part in stock and got it done in 10min. No more noise.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Yet at first they had no clue :confused: ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Incinr8