PLEASE....help PERSUADE me to do it!!!!

VIPERESS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now generally I can convince just about anyone to go ahead and do, just about anything, no matter how impractical or unnecessary it may be, and in the end usually even make them feel and believe that they made the right decision. But I'm having a hard time doing it for myself. So, I am asking for your assistance.
This is the deal, a very good friend of mine bought a 96 blue/white Gts, I guess about 1 1/2 years ago. I told him when he got it, "when you are ready to sell it, you make sure you call me". He never ever uses the car, maybe 2-3 times since he has gotten it. He is a real car guy, has about 7 other cars, and for some reason he doesn't feel comfortable driving it (worries about it too much). In his words, to him it is more like a "trophy". So yesterday he contacts me, ready to sell. The car is mint, absolutely mint, with 3400 miles on it. He is the second owner, the first owner was an older guy who babied the car as well. Completely stock, no mods what so ever. I figure this is more of a collectible car, first year Gts, low miles, completely stock. My plan would be to perhaps eventually make my 2000 Gts a track car, and keep the 96 more like the Sunday car. Although, then I kind of lose out on a daily driver. I have a 2000 Denali which is my bad weather/towing vehicle, but I do drive my 2000 Gts every other time. Now my dilema is that of course I don't really need the car...but wow...do I want it!!! It seems kind of impractical to do, and I almost feel badly about wanting a second one, when there are so many people who need so many things in this world. If I decide to do it, I know I need to jump on it, before he changes his mind, because he doesn't really want to sell it, he as much as said that to me yesterday. He told me if he wasn't selling it to me, he would price it ridiculously high in the classifieds, knowing it wouldn't sell, and then tell himself "Oh well, looks like I'll have to keep it". (Mike if you are reading this, don't get any ideas of changing your mind!!). So now I need someone to help convince me that it is a good idea...then maybe I can sleep tonight, because last night I was awake because of this!!! Thanks for your anticipated help.
BTW...my key scratches were fixed yesterday...looks good as new...Thanks Joe B.!!
Laura
devil.gif
BURNOUT.gif

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Geez Laura--and I thought I was the only person who would be kept awake over car stuff! Anyhow, one thing I learned is not to buy cars for "good, sensible, reasons". Like when choosing a mate, your heart, or "gut reaction" will always lead you in the right direction. You can always rationalize any purchase, but if your heart isn't in it...it's wrong. Good luck..you already know the answer.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have the money and the desire. Why hesitate? I agree with Bob in that there will be no more coupes in this style and you will now have a pair of classics. The '96's are still one of the most striking cars out there for looks and history. If I had the dough, I wouldn't hesitate for more than 2-3 seconds. Sounds like a real beauty! Good luck, and be sure to send lots of pictures of the two cars side-by-side when you get it.
smile.gif

Chris

Serious Eric

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lay down on ze couch fer a vhile young lady, undt listen to ze voices.

id: Saw it ... want it ... need it ... gotta have it ... got one ... gotta have another!!

ego: I don't need it, I've already got one.

id: Get ANOTHER!! Some is good, more is better, too much is JUST RIGHT!

ego: But it's just conspicuous consumerism. Look at all I have - I'd feel embarrased. And how about all the starving children in India?

id: Name one.

ego: uhhhh ...

id: Then SHYADDUP ya bleedin' heart!! You worked for your money didn't you?? Ya didn't **** and pillage the third world for it, did you? Last time I checked this was America, not North Korea or Sweden - so get out there and exercise that constitutional right to pursue my ... I mean YOUR happiness.

ego: Welll ... it would be fun, and I'm only a young hottie for just a brief flicker in time ...

id: 'sniff, sniff' I can smell your desire. Here, let me help you tap into the power of rationalization. Just promise yourself that if you get the 2nd viper you'll double your contribution to total strangers on the toll roads and super-size to large fries on those happy-meals you buy for the tykes in the drive-thru line behind you. Hey you could don a cape and become some sorta super-hero. Batman was a do-gooder and HE lived well? Why not you?

ego: I surrender ...

Serious Eric

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck 94 RT 10:
Laura:

I agree with the rest of these guys (I'm a little nervous about Eric though).
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL! Haven't gone ****** ... Just a reference to one of Freud's BS psychological theories. 'id' was supposed to be the voice of the unconscious pleasure seeking part of the mind, while 'ego' was the rational mind that tried to mediate 'id' with reality.

Just trying to give Laura a little shove in the direction that I think she already wanted to go.

RickV2K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i don't think it's a very good idea. take care of the one you already have. don't be greedy and go out and buy another one. now.....about your friend, would you mind giving me his number?

OP
OP
V

VIPERESS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck 98 RT/10:
Anyone who owns two Vipers must be crazy. Put the money in the stock market.
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is that right Chuck??? Anyone with two Vipers must be crazy...hmmmm...how many Vipers do you have?
Laura
devil.gif
BURNOUT.gif

Thank you Bill Pemberton for the call today
smile.gif

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe Chuck and Tomatoper both will agree that 2 vipers is better than one, and if I were you, I'd want to find out for myself!
smile.gif

Reaction score
dear laura, as the "list" below indicates it might(???) be possible to go "over the top" with your toys, but i don't think two vipers put you there. you obviously want it and have worked up a very good rationalization- do it!!!! allan. ps: how is liz doing??..

Viablo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Laura,

Just do it.
Fellow 1996 GTS owner. 940 miles and going.
If you do buy it with the mileage it has and it is mint you'll want to keep it that way. Therefore you will need two or in your case three vipers. I have the same dilemma, i hate using my car because i cannot leave it anywhere, at the same time i want to drive it all the time.

As a matter of fact you have just given me an idea. I think i will trade my modified ZR1 with the spare engine, spare transmission, spare rear and front suspension for a viper with some mileage on it, so i can drive the hell out of it, and do doughnuts and power slides.

Seriously, you will not regret it.
Good luck,

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by neil:

As a matter of fact you have just given me an idea. I think i will trade my modified ZR1 with the spare engine, spare transmission, spare rear and front suspension for a viper with some mileage on it, so i can drive the hell out of it, and do doughnuts and power slides.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great idea Neil!!! Get a second Viper and take it to a Viper Days event where you can REALLY drive the hell out of it!

As a matter of fact, you got me thinking about another road trip. Watkins Glen.

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like the Nike commercial says .... "Just Do It". You only go around once so you might as well go full throttle!

OP
OP
V

VIPERESS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sean of NJ:
I say no. One viper is enough for any man or woman.

Sean

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why is that Sean?? Why do you think that one Viper is enough?
Laura
devil.gif
BURNOUT.gif

Marc Lublin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know what Laura, I don't want to sound sexist, but Just hearing a chick talking about buying another Viper and her towing car Denali puts a big smile on my face. You are obviously a huge car buff and love the Viper so just go ahead and do it. If you feel later like you made the wrong decision, then sell it! It's not like it will loose it's value.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sean of NJ:
vacation home in Vermont?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What do you want more Viperess? Cruise 140 mph around a track or a vacation home in Vermont?

OP
OP
V

VIPERESS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck 98 RT/10:
What do you want more Viperess? Cruise 140 mph around a track or a vacation home in Vermont?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well Chuck,
That's an easy one...if you can't drive it, and it's not fast... then.....I don't want it!!! Looks like the car wins!!!
Laura
devil.gif
BURNOUT.gif

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ahh Yessssssssssss.... TWO VIPERS.........

Anyone who owns two should have their head examined!
bounce.gif

But here is something to think about....

POINT NUMBER ONE:

I keep my new 00 in PA with me. Wayne's Bad Viper, I keep in NV for West Coast playing!!!!!!

In NV you can get operators insurance which for one money, you get liability on any car you drive - my friend out there has 30 cars and pays about $400/year for liability!!!!!!!!!

And I'll tell you what, there is NOTHING like CLIMBING up those 2 lane mountain passes. The Sierras are awesome and I can just imagine what the Rocky Mountains are like!!!! Then there are the NV events - hill climbs and open road races....

POINT NUMBER TWO:

It's also nice to have a GOOD Viper and a BAD Viper (Thanks NADINE!!!!
BURNOUT.gif
)

A stock one and a race one!

You might want to consider keeping your 00 stock and buying someone else's track car.

I like Wayne a lot, but ask him how, for some reason, you get pennies on the dollar for speed mods! You would think that a nicely set up car with all the right parts might even command a premium for the design and execution, however, such is not the case! Everyone takes a beating on a modded car!

POINT NUMBER THREE:

If I had bot Wayne's car first, I would have NEVER bot the new 00!! I like modded cars and that's that!

POINT NUMBER FOUR:

You might want to see what the GEN3 and C6 are before you do anything! Of course, you may not want to wait that long.

SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATION:

Don't buy the 96, you already have an 00.

Don't track out the 00, buy someone else's.

Consider keeping one on the West Coast in a friend's airplane hanger - but only a crazy person
bounce.gif
would do that.....

And whatever you do, don't listen to a word from anyone who has a Studebaker......

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Viperess,

Any chance you could use your mystical persuasive powers to get some Viper owner to put a 12 cyl 600 cuin Falconer in their Viper?

bounce.gif

BobK898

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's my 2 cents since you're asking. You said you want one for the track and the other (the 96) for a Sunday driver which is apparently not totally what you would like. So it does have some negativity. How about buy the new race-only coupe when it comes out and keep your current one as you use it now.

BTW asking this website about getting another Viper is like an alcoholic asking other alcoholics if another drink would be a good idea. ;)

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've reconsidered my earlier position. Don't buy it, buy an rt/10 for your sunday car so you can take the top out!

OP
OP
V

VIPERESS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BobK898:
How about buy the new race-only coupe when it comes out and keep your current one as you use it now.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well Bob,
That is an excellent idea, and I too have considered the very same thing since seeing Jay's post. That is just a beautiful car. I love the GTS/R concept car, and in appearance, that is pretty close to it!!! However, what do you suppose the chance of being one of the 25 people to purchase the Competition Coupe is?? For some reason I think that will be a great difficulty, unless someone is aware of how to make that happen, then that would definitely be an option.
BTW asking this website about getting another Viper is like an alcoholic asking other alcoholics if anpther drink would be a good idea. ;)

Yes, that was the idea...I would hear exactly the answers that I wanted to
laugh.gif

Laura
devil.gif
BURNOUT.gif

OP
OP
V

VIPERESS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by slaughterj:
I've reconsidered my earlier position. Don't buy it, buy an rt/10 for your sunday car so you can take the top out!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well John,
It would be nice to be able to go ******* again, but I never did feel very safe in my RT/10. I'm not talking about the safeness of the car structure either.
Laura
devil.gif
BURNOUT.gif

Performin Norman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Laura,

Sounds like it is not a money issue just a practicality issue. If it makes you feel good and feels right, go for it. You deserve it. I have gotten to know you well enough from this board that you are deserving. Don't use your brain in the purchase unless you have to worry about the money. Just make it an emotional purchase. With your Denali in hand, your plan is perfect. I say go for it. Every time I have passed up on a deal, I usually live to regret it.

Have fun no matter what you do.

RockStar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GO FOR IT LAURA!!!!!! As soon as I can afford it, there will be a second Viper in my garage. I will definately add a GTS to the garage. I want to have on original side-piped car, and one bad *** performance car
smile.gif
If it'll make you feel better, i offer my services: Buy me my second one, then if anyone asks why two, you can say, "well Greg has two too!!" Just go get it. BTW, where in NY do you live, cause a friend of mine saw you outside Buffalo some time ago. I live 30 seconds from Buffalo on the Canadian side.

OP
OP
V

VIPERESS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GregV94RT/10:
GO FOR IT LAURA!!!!!! As soon as I can afford it, there will be a second Viper in my garage. I will definately add a GTS to the garage. I want to have on original side-piped car, and one bad *** performance car
smile.gif
If it'll make you feel better, i offer my services: Buy me my second one, then if anyone asks why two, you can say, "well Greg has two too!!" Just go get it. BTW, where in NY do you live, cause a friend of mine saw you outside Buffalo some time ago. I live 30 seconds from Buffalo on the Canadian side.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Greg,
I like your way of thinking!!! But the idea of, buy you your second one...really...just so I can use you as an example of another nut with 2 Vipers....somehow I think there could be a less expensive way for me to do that...but it was a good try on your part
laugh.gif
So someone saw me outside of Buffalo...hmmmm??? I live on Long Island. However, I have been up there on more than one occasion. When and where did your friend see me??
Laura
devil.gif
BURNOUT.gif

RockStar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh well, Laura, it was worth a try
smile.gif
If I recall, it was last summer. A buddy of mine said he saw a GTS with your license plate, and it was a female driver. I don't remember exactly when, though.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ms. Laura will you adopt me???
biggrin.gif
It seem like the only way Ill be able to drive a Viper......And when you do buy the second GTS you will have me to take care of it....
biggrin.gif

Id like to own one much less two...

I say buy the second GTS....These cars have been called "A legend in its own time" by the automotive press......I cant imagine a car like these Vipers not being a collectible...It sounds like a good investment to me.........Whatever decission you you make you will still be happy because you will still come out of it owning a Viper........Pease

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4