Plus Size rims/tires

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The stock 275s and 335s are HUGE slabs of meat, but I was wondering if people have gone bigger?

I'm curious because I'm looking at different GTSs with factory rims and think that any potential Viper I buy will eventually get a nice set of BBS rims like the ACR - or perhaps some HREs.

Has anyone gone bigger, and what how much room is there to expand over stock? I'm not talking about 22" ghetto rims, trust me. For my purposes, the stock tire dimensions will be fine. But if I am going to buy a different set of rims, why not expand?

gtsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have Startech 20" wheels on my 01 RT/10. 285's in front, 345's in back.

DSC00503b.jpg

DSC00505b.jpg

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Front: 295/35-19
Rear: 345/30-19

Caution: plus rims don't work well if you've lowered your car a lot. The limit with the above combo seems to be 1" of drop; more than that, the edges will rub.

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
T

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those Startechs are sharp. And the Purners look good, too.

So I can fit a 335 in the front on an 18" x 12.5" rim - what is the correct backspacing for the front rims?

And am I correct in assuming then that 335 is the largest possible for the rear? I can't think of any street tires off the top of my head that are larger than 335, but is there enough clearance to accomodate a wider setup in the rear?

Thanks for taking the time to help me out with this. I don't intend to race my car, but over time I do want to be more involved with local SCCA events and club track rentals. So I don't have so much need for the extra contact surface, but I thought that if I was considering going to the expense of a new rim/tire combo I ought to go "Tim Allen" with it.

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brett 91 RS LT1:
And am I correct in assuming then that 335 is the largest possible for the rear? I can't think of any street tires off the top of my head that are larger than 335, but is there enough clearance to accomodate a wider setup in the rear?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

345/25ZR20's are on the rear of those StarTech's...

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Short of racing slicks, I've not hear of any tires wider that 345s. They are HUGE!

Has anyone bought the new 20" HRE's?

The 847s look great, but I haven't seen them on a Viper yet.

-Dean.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreatWhiteKAC