Polyurethane suspension bushings

overzealous1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So it is final! The polyurethane control arm and shock bushing kits are ready to start taking orders! My very first call looking for parts for my car was for polyurethane bushings over 2.5 years ago. Nobody made them. I have finally gotten so sick of the wet sponge feel of my cars handling, I have decided to make them! This first group buy is for 1997-2002 GTS and RT/10. Gen 3-4 is only a week or so out! Gen 1 shortly after.
For those not familiar with Polyurethane bushings, there is alot of advantages. Polyurethane is chemical resistant, will not break down like rubber, alot firmer than rubber, and in the case of the Viper, you no longer need to buy a full control arm or shock to replace worn bushings!
The stock rubber bushings allow for alignment change and control arm movement when subjected to cornering, braking, and acceleration forces. On cars with skinnier tires, this change is less noticeable. But, the viper being able to create greater forces than most cars, and larger tires then most cars, this alignment changing relates to a car that feels loose or unpredictable when being pushed near the limit. With the poly you get far more predictable handling, and far longer bushing life.
Not only is there the obvious performance gains to the poly bushings, but it can be looked at as a maintenance part also for the Viper. Upon pulling my car apart (97 GTS) i noticed the stock rubber bushings were in far worse shape than originally thought. Every bushing on the entire car was cracked, some even with chunks missing. Even not all of the stock bushings are available without the purchase of a whole new control arm, or new shock. My shock bushings were approx. 1/8" off center with no weight on them out of the car. With weight on them, and figuring in where they bolt onto the control arm, this could equate to about 3/4" or more in dropped ride height, and the first 3/4" of rebound being nothing but bushing play! The bushings are not dampened by the shock, so it can induce a slight amount of bounce. Not good for handling!
So in this initial group buy you will receive all control arm bushings, all shock bushings, related hardware, and an alignment lock kit that is installed once your alignment is set. These are all parts made in short runs specifically for the Viper. All hand made in the U.S.A.!!
I understand some of you already have aftermarket shocks that have uniball or some type of solid mount already. In that case just let me know and i can subtract the price of the shock kit.
Instructions will come with each kit. Some of the stock bushing outer cases are kept, and some inner cases are kept. This is all outlined in the instructions. Polyurethane bushings must be greased, so we include grease taylored to this. A special oil has also been added to all of the bushings to help eliminate sqeeking.

They will ship via usps priority. Paypal is preferred method of payment. I have over 330+ positive feedback on Ebay with a 100% score, and about 500 total paypal transactions.
Just to add. I am also offering a service where you can send me the control arms, and shocks, and i will install them for you and send back. Labor charge is $200 excluding shipping. Local installs can be handled by Portland Speed Industries here in Portland. I will be meeting with them on proper install tips and tricks.
Interested locals will also get shipping and paypal fees removed for even a better deal!

My cell phone # is 503-504-1037 (Scott) and can be reached at that number to help with install questions or tips. The website will be up very shortly and am reviving the name SVRTech (the name of my parts business i had before my day job got too busy!). A quick search and you will find many videos posted by customers about prior products on the 350Z/G35 chassis. As far as i know, I still have the highest bolt on power record for exhaust designs. I even recognize some screen names from the forums over there who also moved up to the viper!

Now the pics!!

Full kit. Control arms and shocks
You must be registered for see images attach

Control arm only kit

Shock only kit

installed upper front control arm

Pic of how bushing goes together for all lower control arms with s.s. washer thrust surfaces.

Pic showing thickness of polyurethane. it will be exceptionally responsive, with minimal deflection. Enough deflection though to eliminate bind through the entire suspension movement!!

All alignment lock shims are 304 stainless. All lower control arm bolts are fine thread grade 8 bolts with grade 8 nylock nuts. All thrust washers are also stainless. All center bushing material is drawn over mandrel steel.

This first kit ready for order is for all 1997-2002 GTS and RT/10. Gen 3-4 is right around the corner (hoping a week or 2) with gen 1 right after that.
Just to add. I am also offering a service where you can send me the control arms, and shocks, and i will install them for you and send back. Labor charge is $200 excluding shipping. Local installs can be handled by Portland Speed Industries here in Portland. I will be meeting with them on proper install tips and tricks.
Interested locals will also get shipping and paypal fees removed for even a better deal!

Pm me or post questions here!

Check group buy section for group buy intro pricing!

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Sorry, did I miss where you posted the price for the Gen 1 kit?. Or will it be $640 + shipping like the Gen 2?

OP
OP
O

overzealous1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i am assuming price will be about the same for gen 1. won't know till i actually measure it all up. gen 3-4 will only be about $10 more. should find out fri or sat.

Goatman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is something I would definitely be interested in for my Gen 1. How long will you be producing these?

OP
OP
O

overzealous1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
here is some installed pics. i greased mine quite abit. you could definately use it a little more sparing than i did. all lower control arm bushings are the same, so those pics would be same for all lowers. pic of front upper is in post up above. front upper and lower shock mounts are the same as the rear upper, so those will all look the same also. could not get pic of lower rear shock mount, but, set up is nearly the same as the top.
i hopefully will have time to set up alignment today and show how the alignment lock set up is installed. the car really feels light and airy now. is feels like it just shaved 7-800lbs off the car. WAY more responsive!

lower front control arm, rear mount-

lower rear control arm, rear mount-

rear upper control arm, front mount-

rear upper shock mount-

OP
OP
O

overzealous1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
perfect timing, cause i just got done installing them!

stock cam bolts. you can see the gap that can be left at certain positions. unfortuneately, this position is more than likely where you need it.

here is the installed shim. get your alignment set, then measure to centerline of bolt, drill 1/2" hole in the stainless square, and assemble using the supplied grade 8 hardware. will lock in alignment under even the most extreme conditions. if you have the need to change your alignment to different settings, i can either include more shims at $2.50 each, or you can simply make your own. stamp them for different camber/caster settings.
for those that didn't know, on the gen 2's atleast, there is a couple "sport shims" underneather the front upper control arm that when removed will produce exactly -1 degree camber (if alignment is set to factory specs). just remove those and reset toe.

Last edited:

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A set of double ended ARP studs would work much better and easier to change shims for easy alignment adjustments. As well as the Alignment shim kit offered by Dodge Motorsports.

OP
OP
O

overzealous1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
if someone would like to purchase that instead, i can easily subtract the alignment lock set from the kit. the appeal that i was trying to achieve with this though, was to include basically the same function, and also include all of the control arm bushings and shock bushings for less than the cost of the double ended arp bolts and the alignment shim kit offered by dodge motorsports by themselves. it may take just a few seconds more to remove the bolt entirely. simply undo the one nut, push in a 1/2" dowel or simply a 1/2" bolt from the other direction to hold the arm horizontally, install first shim, push dowel back out with orignal bolt, install other shim, retighten one nut. car would still need to be lifted to relieve pressure. it would be a trade off. removing one bolt versus, having to undo one more nut.

that goes for the arp studs that is. having a whole pile of shims like the kit from dodge motorsports is a good idea if someone installs this set up, AND has to frequently change alignment settings.

OP
OP
O

overzealous1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
it has finally occurred to me that alot of people here may not know me or my history. these bushings are not made by me in my garage. the polyurethane itself is produced by a large polyurethane prototyping and manufacturing facility here in oregon. they manufacture bushings for freightliner, many trailer manufacturers. also part of their clientele is large businesses like stanley tools. i'm sure it is alot more vast, but this is just stuff i have seen on the meeting room desk while i have had my meetings with the owner going over the correct hardness and sizings. they are basically a manufacturer, to manufacturers. they have no retail side. griffith polymers is the name. a peek at their site will give you an idea of the professionalism and experience of this company. my involvement has been designing the rest of the kit and supplying them with measurements. rest assure, there will be no mistakes or short cuts taken in the formulation of these bushings.

i have had my viper for approx. 2.5 years. but, i personally have been building cars for over 20 years, professionally and as a side job. on the 350z platform, i was designing internal engine strenghtening mods, building race engines, turbo kit upgrades, designed the highest bolt on power exhaust system, and had the double down 350z out of las vegas and san diego sponsored with all my parts (with some of them developed for the car). car was a consistent 1-2 finisher in 2 time attack classes and was driven by names like tanner foust and scott busch. a search for double down 350z and svrtech will bring up lots of material. my screen name has always been overzealous1 also. a simple search for that will also bring up years of internet goodness. i am new to vca, but not new by any means.
i know there is alot of very experienced builders and drivers on this site, and do definately enjoy getting into some great engineering discussions! i have a bunch of these kits shipping out next week. i can't wait for others to get them, and get install and handling improvement feedback! it still does feel good though that right now mine is the only one with them :)

scott

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

overzealous1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
thank you! glad that i am the one to finally provide them!

btw- confirmation measuring of gen 3-4 is happening tomorrow. should have first set in 2 weeks or less!! group buy on that opening soon!

OP
OP
O

overzealous1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
got lots of kits out there now, i know some are on the road! looking for feedback.

it has come to my attention that some other vendors have been spreading misinformation about the bushings they have never seen, installed, or tested. yes, the information has gotten back to me. if any shops or other site sponsors would like to physically see or test the product themselves, all you have to do is call me or send a message, and we can work out how you would like to do it.
if anyone has any further questions about the manufacturing of these, feel free to post questions here for all to see. the viper community is in desperate need of this product and i do not want misinformation to lead people into making uninformed or misguided descisions by people who have never seen product.
my car is under continuous testing with these on the street, with *** holes and other hazards. i check them every 100 miles or so. still look brand new. for those waiting for long haul testing, no problem, i will still be here and posting results.