"poser mod" or performance mod.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
\"poser mod\" or performance mod.

Have Eridaspeed rotors and EBC green pads going on soon. Daily driver, street driven. Better than stock combo or not?
Poser or performance?

ntmatter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

The Baer rotors are pretty, and the EBC pads stop good and keep your wheels pretty for street use. For serious track cars, I'd be more likely to go with Stoptech slotted rotors and EBC yellows or Brakeman #3 pads. For the street, the stock (Brembo-made) brakes are very good as-is.

RedSnakeGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

poser im sure, i have them both and love them though...i learned all my posing from Snake Bitten ;)

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Poser, get the stoptech stage II setup for under $800.

RedSnakeGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

well he is only driving on the street, and the baer look way better than the stoptech stage II kit....

OP
OP
N

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

I think what I meant... Is that are the eradispeeds and EBC's better than stock for the street. Meaning stopping power / safety?

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

i love the eradispeeds and EBC greens.
the greens stop just as well as stock.
and the rotors being slotted and drilled would have to help over stock.
so, i would think better stopping power.

and they look great too.. they are on my to do list.
best wishes
Jim

SnakeAv8r

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: \"poser mod\" or performance mod.

Poser or performance...hmmmm... who cares! They look great IMHO, but the rear calipers really ****. If I had it to do over again I would have saved up a little longer for the stoptech big brake setup. That is what solves the rear situation and they are beautiful. I'm going to wear these out for now... good luck and yes it's poser but that's what Vipers are all about right? :)

You must be registered for see images

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

well he is only driving on the street, and the baer look way better than the stoptech stage II kit....
sorry there, but I rather stay with stock rotors for the street and just do the pads and ss lines. Those rotors do not do anything for stoping power other than look very :cool: Also I would destroy those rotors in my street driving as I am very ******* my car. Hey if looks are your priority then go for them, but if stoping is more important than looking good, then go with the stoptech rotors or stay stock :p

David Jenkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Mr. Maui, how you doin'? How long you got until d-day in Colorado? We're just going to bail to Sedona or Big Sur sometime this year. Just me and her. No family. Say ,I've got a set of take off rotors and pads. Slotted rotors and street pads. Put a big brake kit on and this guy wants to sell his old stuff. I don't think it's got more than 2k miles on it. Don't worry about the poser status. I've had drilled rotors on the RT for a couple of years just because I like the way they look. Sure it helps the braking efficiency, but I did it for looks. I'll hook you guys up if your interested. Not sure what he wants for them. dj

RedSnakeGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

sorry there, but I rather stay with stock rotors for the street and just do the pads and ss lines. Those rotors do not do anything for stoping power other than look very :cool: Also I would destroy those rotors in my street driving as I am very ******* my car. Hey if looks are your priority then go for them, but if stoping is more important than looking good, then go with the stoptech rotors or stay stock :p

you act as if the eradispeeds are dangerous. if you are to the point that you would destroy a set of eradispeeds on the street, then i need to stay away from where you are driving! my eradispeeds stop better than my stock rotors, but what does my opinion from experience mean?

also, isnt your suggestion a little contradicting? recommending a stage II kit which replaces your praised stock rotors, and saying how you would stick with the stock ones? make up your mind....

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I went with Eradispeeds and EBC greens about 8 months ago. I did it for the poser looks. But, the setup seems just as good if not better than the stock setup and without all the brake dust. I have read that cross-drilling and slotting is not necessary with todays brake technology, but they sure look cool!!! If I was planning on thrashing my Viper on the road course, I would have went with a complete stop-Tech system though. But I'll sticjk to the street.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hoosier Daddy uses the stock brakes and rotors and he drives hard.Maybe the key is not to overdrive the car?Anyone can burn up any brakes on any car.If you need an upgrade for poser points than go for it.Otherwise learn to drive with a little finesse. Bruce

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

redsnake, perhaps you misunderstood my contradicting suggestion :rolleyes: Those rotors are a waste of $$$ imoI went through a set of those in my vette just playing around on the street. I can imagine that they are worse on the Viper being 200lbs heavier. what you failed to recognize from my statement is that if he wants to stop better he should go for the stop tech rotors or none at all,(staying stock). As far as my driving, I'm sorry but I only drive the car 2x a week and I get my $$s worth out of it :shocked:

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

The Baer rotors are two piece with billet alumimum hats and are lighter than OEM rotors. They also have:

- Faster thermal recovery
- Increased heat absorption
- Increased friction and lower wear

over OEM rotors.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

And have decreased strengh and increased likelihood of cracking.Definite poser mod (not that there is anything wrong with that). I don't think anyone serious about tracking their car uses them.

Those big 20's make the Baers look really tiny!

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

No self respecting poser would be without these! And they do stop better than the stockers...Is the brake pedal the one in the middle??? :cool:

I didn't know they allowed you in the Performance Section - good to see your making a comment on another poser mod. ;)

OP
OP
N

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

DJ gald to see you are still out there.
The Big Day is May 31 in Littleton CO.
Golfing, LA cruise, Vegas. Nice two weeks off the island.
I am registered at Parts Rack! :)

DJ maybe you could set the record for the longest Viper Tech house call. Rotors, pads, fluid. I will pick up the hotel www.koolina.com

The cool part is I have already been to a huge cruise night. Saw my first Roe SC here. Yes here!

The really cool part is the drags are 5 min from the resort. Check it out..
http://www.hawaiiracewaypark.com/history.html
http://www.hrpdragracing.com/

RedSnakeGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

snake bitten, i hate 545s, and the 545/eradispeed combo is just horrible......no offense of course :rolleyes:

*ahem* copycat *ahem*

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

If your current (stock brakes) are capable of locking up the wheels (as 95 has no ABS) and you are not driving on the track you would need to be Juan Montoya to see any benefit of a brake upgrade for street use.

Brake upgrades do not usually provide shorter stopping distances. Brake upgrades allow faster heat dissapation under repeated high speed brakeing (read track) conditions. This is most noticable via reduced brake fade and/or not boiling the brake fluid.

A well known aftermarket brake mfg for Viper says "The bottom line is brakes don't stop the car, tires stop the car. I know this is simplistic, but if you can lock up your brakes or fully engage ABS on such an equipped car, there's not much more you can do than that no matter what brake components are on the vehicle."

However, lighter brakes do allow faster acceleration due to reduced unsprung weight.

and they look cool.

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

If your current (stock brakes) are capable of locking up the wheels (as 95 has no ABS) and you are not driving on the track you would need to be Juan Montoya to see any benefit of a brake upgrade for street use.
Brake upgrades do not usually provide shorter stopping distances. Brake upgrades allow faster heat dissapation under repeated high speed brakeing (read track) conditions. This is most noticable via reduced brake fade and/or not boiling the brake fluid.
A well known aftermarket brake mfg for Viper says "The bottom line is brakes don't stop the car, tires stop the car. I know this is simplistic, but if you can lock up your brakes or fully engage ABS on such an equipped car, there's not much more you can do than that no matter what brake components are on the vehicle."
However, lighter brakes do allow faster acceleration due to reduced unsprung weight.
and they look cool.

Is this really and truly true? From as much as I've read about brake upgrades, this does not sound as sound as you make it sound. ;)
I'd like to hear some other experienced driver's opinions in this matter. Including more information on this unsprung weight business.
Any takers? I'm all eyes. My brain is a sponge, eagerly waiting to absorb your vast knowledge. *grin*

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

At just a glance, no heavy reading involved, the conclusion seems pretty obvious. So, unless the data was tampered with, it does pay to upgrade your brakes. It can easily make the difference between hitting something and stopping before you hit that something.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

"If your current (stock brakes) are capable of locking up the wheels (as 95 has no ABS) and you are not driving on the track you would need to be Juan Montoya to see any benefit of a brake upgrade for street use.
"
If you mean locking up all 4-wheels you are correct. If you mean just the fronts, then I suppose you feel rear brakes are worthless. Brake upgrades can make a huge difference in improving brake bias and aiding in modulation. I found both greatly improved with my front StopTech setup.

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

I'd wager a pretty penny that a great majority of us do in fact believe we are Juan Pablo... ;)

Reminds me of an old film...

"I'm Juan Montoya and so is my wife!"

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang