Possibly Buying a '94 - need help

SHADOW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Possibly Buying a \'94 - need help

I am going to look at a '94 RT/10 on Sunday. The car has only 8000 miles on it, original tires, no mods. It has been serviced by a Viper tech. At first I was pleased with the low mileage, however, I began thiking, the car is almost 10 years old, is lack of use going to be detrimental to the car? What in general should I look for - what might be an issue due to age and low mileage? Would the head gasket issue have already come into play? I haven't asked the owner yet. Do the tires need to go simply because the rubber has aged? I also thoght that the 42K he is asking might be slightly high?

Thanks.

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Possibly Buying a \'94 - need help

I dont think 42k is all that bad for the car, especially if it is in good condition. Thats actually seems about right or even better.

Austin

Greg W

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Paid about that for my '94 with 8,700 miles. It had the dreaded head gasket replace before purchased. (about $2,200 if I paid)

New tires a must. Rubber is old, poor grip. I got into some pretty big problems before the new tires.

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Got my 94 at 6000 miles a couple years ago. Head gaskets shouldn't have gone yet but may start soon. Were the 8000 miles put on early and then the car stored or was it a little every year. If it was spread over time you shouldn't have any problems with leaks caused by hardened rubber, etc. Otherwise you might encounter a few leaks. I had to tighten a few things when I got mine. The head bolts were not up to torque spec, the oil pan bolts were all very loose and the hoses onto the water pump were loose. You'll burn the tires off before you notice them being old anyway!

Look for cracks in the hood, very common and fairly easy to see on dark colored cars.

Glad to see it still holds a $42K value, but I think that is probably a little high. I don't think I would pay more than high 30's for it.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Count on the tire rubber being hard and only good for drives around the block. You'll be way down in traction, to the point where it might be a problem.

I have a 94 RT that I bought about 1.5 years ago. I just wanted to tell you that so you know that I have a stake in this myself.
Here goes,
I think $42k is about $10k too high. There are lots of nice gen1 Vipers around and I don't see why one with 8k miles should be worth any more than one with 20k miles, they are both very low mileage cars for a 9 year old car.

The $42k sound's like a price from 2 years ago. Things have changed, prices are down.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Other things to consider that would bolster any "higher than normal" (if there is such a thing) price:

Original owner - or how many (does Carfax show multiple owners, auction sales, leases, etc)
Sales documentation
Maintenance records
Interior condition - (seats / dash)
Rocker panels (underneath - damage & rivits blistering))
Side sills (inside condition - blistering)
Front facia / spoiler (underneath)
Hood (alignment / cracks)
Overall paint
Underneath car inspection for leaks
Drive - (sounds, smells, sights) oil leaks, oil burn, coolant leaks, etc
Inspection by VCA member / Viper Tech

HTH

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've heard the Michelins in those days weren't too good. XSTs or something like that. Later they came out with MXX3s and now the Pilots which handle pretty well in the rain.

Spend a day at the dragstrip doing burnouts then get some new rubber.

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm with everyone else agreeing that you'll probably want new tires.

And having just bought a '94 I'd say $42k is definately on the high side... high 30s (if the car is in near flawless condition) is probably more like it. Low to mid 30s if the car is showing its age. Head gasket replacement will run you ~2k, so factor that in if you think it'll need it.

As for general "what should I look for" things, plenty of posts have been done on this previously, do a search.

I'd just add, only buy the car if the deal feels 100% right to you... it's a big purchase and you shouldn't have to settle.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think this day and age when you can buy a Gen II GTS w/ 20k miles for 44k to 45k, YES 42k for a GenI is **WAY, WAY** high.
30-35k car... IMO
Does it have A/C
Hartop? Softtop? Is softtop warped? Head Gasket Issues? It will need new tires asap. I can guarantee the originals are hard as a rock.

Good Luck, if it's what you like, then the price doesn't matter.. :laugh:

Gerald

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score

MagicBoy, how much did you pay for yours? Yours is awesome and has that bad @ss custom red paint job :D .

Austin

iispms

Viper Owner
Reaction score

You can find a 97-98 GTS for that much. I just bought my GTS with 19k miles for $40k and it only needed tires. Other then that, it is flawless, except for the dreaded window problem.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score

Just bought my '93 garage queen about 3 months ago. Don't even think about driving with the old tires as they will be hard, offer NO grip, and IMO dangerous to drive (I did spin out trying to get some use out of my old original tires - new Pilot sports ~ $1500 inc mount, balance). Other possible issues - oil leaks from gaskets hardening. I had to replace the timing cover gasket and oil pan gasket. Change all fluids. Price seems a little on the high side as well.

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

New tires a MUST.

Having owned a 94 RT, the $42K is pricing from 2-2/1/2 years ago and should be reduced to mid $30's!!!

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Head Gaskets; check for the tell tail signs on the block for leaks.
Did mine at 7700 miles this past winter; bought the car with 2700 miles in 2001. Like you said - not driven.
Later,

MR VENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Do not pay $42K for that car. Shop around and be patient. Much better deals to be had. I bought my 95 last November, with 4,700 miles on it for substantially less than 42K. I feel that if you search and find someone that does not have an emotional attachment to the car (may be hard to do), you can get a low mileage 94 for about 30K. I searched for about 9 months. Tires....you bet. Mine were hard, no traction, slippery in turns and downright dangerous. Recently got the Kumhoooooooooooole shots. :eek:

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Much too much...got my 96 rt/10 10K for under 40K. Of course I put 15-20 thousand into the car already..Oh My God Those mods just keep on coming..With That sad if its a one owner car with original window sticker thats a big plus..

Prices are still alittle on the weak side so be patient. I know its hard but it will be well worth it.

Just a suggestion..Get extended warranty asap no matter what car you buy.

My .2c

Adam

yellow94

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Are you looking at it in CT? If so, where? I paid just under $42k for my 94 exactly one year ago with 13k miles but it had over $10k in upgrades and had an Arrow rebuild due to the head gaskets. Oh, and it's YELLLLLOOOOOW!! (1 of 83).

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

We paid right around an even $40k for ours, which included:
-head gasket work
-A/C recharge
-18" wheels/tires, both tops
-4 year MaxCare warranty
-Custom paint job
-Delivery
and last but not least... peace of mind from buying from Bill P!

Not the cheapest Gen I, but we feel that we got what we paid for. :)

http://viper.lamba.ca for those who haven't seen it.

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I find this thread very interesting and in sharp contrast to past threads where owners are complaining about how the value of their cars is dropping. You aren't doing anything to help sustain the value of your Viper by urging new buyers to search for a car at a price much lower than you would want to sell yours for. You are, in essence, driving the value/price of your own car down.
Think about it.
Bob K

OP
OP
S

SHADOW

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Everyone's tips are really great - some stuff I had'nt considered - thanks.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I thought the same thing, and tell all my Vette friends that "this car's not for you, you" LOL!! :)

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well BobK,
What do you think would be the proper response to someone who asks if he should pay $42k for a low miles 94 R/T?

What should we tell him?

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Joe117,
You can tell him whatever you want. I just wanted to make the point that we as a club can exert some influence on the pricing/ valuation of these cars. If we constantly urge prospective owners to make low offers and buy the cars cheap it will eventually come around to us when we want or need to sell ours.
Bob K

OP
OP
S

SHADOW

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for all who posted on this - it is a difficult decision when you consider that for a few more thousand I could be getting into a newer '99. The '94 at 42K would need new tires, and I would probably get new wheels at the same time that I did the tires, so right there I'd be close to the price of a '99.

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Joe117,
You can tell him whatever you want. I just wanted to make the point that we as a club can exert some influence on the pricing/ valuation of these cars. If we constantly urge prospective owners to make low offers and buy the cars cheap it will eventually come around to us when we want or need to sell ours.
Bob K

So Bob if I understand you right we should lie and artifically overstate the value of our cars. All the man is asking is whether the asking price he was quoted a fair deal price wise. If some of us went through the same dilema that he did and can offer some sound and honest info WHY NOT?

Bob if may of us thought like you we would have more corrupt CEOS of major companys (ENRON) lieing and cheating employess and stockholders of their savings and then bankrupting the company the work for.

Our cars will dictate their resale values normally and without falsly inflationary pressures by anyone!

Adam

picflight

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Joe117,
Bob K

So Bob if I understand you right we should lie and artifically overstate the value of our cars. All the man is asking is whether the asking price he was quoted a fair deal price wise. If some of us went through the same dilema that he did and can offer some sound and honest info WHY NOT?

Bob if may of us thought like you we would have more corrupt CEOS of major companys (ENRON) lieing and cheating employess and stockholders of their savings and then bankrupting the company the work for.

Our cars will dictate their resale values normally and without falsly inflationary pressures by anyone!

Adam

I think Bob is making a very valid point here, I too noticed in some earlier posts how current owners were worried about dropping values but in the end the market will determine the price. Having said that, if someone is asking for my opinion on making a purchase that I have made in the past, I have to give them what I honestly know, prices are low right now. my 2 cents.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If Bob's point is that owners are aware that prices are falling and they have talked about it, well, he's got a point.
It sounded to me as if he was saying that we should "talk up" the car, don't dwell on the few problems, and don't encourage anyone to shop around.

The idea being, avoid driving prices down, and do so by not being totally open about what we know.

We should have a place on the board where we could only say good things. The cars would all be expensive, hold their value and never break. The wives and girl friends would be good looking and the children are all above average.
Newbies could go there and ask questions. Right.

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Joe177,
The first statement in your last post is the point I was trying to make.
First I see a post that someone has been offered an apparently very nice low mileage '94 RT/10 for 42K. Then I see a response telling him he should be able to get one for 30K and other posts saying 42K is way too high. Others say the mileage doesn't matter and a 20,000 mile cars is just as valuable as an 8,000 mile car.
I just don't buy into all of that. Certainly you can educate someone on what to look for and look out for when buying a Viper, but unless you know every single detail about the car (which we don't) or have actually inspected it (which we haven't) you can't tell him it is a 42K car or a 30K car.
I bought my '94 five years ago. It had only 800 miles on it, had never been registered and had had the oil changed on a regular basis. It was a perfect car and I gladly paid $45,000 for it ( he was asking $47K). It now has 8,000 miles on it and it is still near perfect. Would I sell it for $30K? **** no. Would I get $42K for it? Probably not, unless I was lucky, but I would sure try. I think this is the kind of car the original poster is looking for, not one with 25,000 miles that needs the front end repainted, the curb rash on the wheels fixed, etc.

Bob K

MR VENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Joe177,
The first statement in your last post is the point I was trying to make.
First I see a post that someone has been offered an apparently very nice low mileage '94 RT/10 for 42K. Then I see a response telling him he should be able to get one for 30K and other posts saying 42K is way too high. Others say the mileage doesn't matter and a 20,000 mile cars is just as valuable as an 8,000 mile car.
I just don't buy into all of that. Certainly you can educate someone on what to look for and look out for when buying a Viper, but unless you know every single detail about the car (which we don't) or have actually inspected it (which we haven't) you can't tell him it is a 42K car or a 30K car.
I bought my '94 five years ago. It had only 800 miles on it, had never been registered and had had the oil changed on a regular basis. It was a perfect car and I gladly paid $45,000 for it ( he was asking $47K). It now has 8,000 miles on it and it is still near perfect. Would I sell it for $30K? **** no. Would I get $42K for it? Probably not, unless I was lucky, but I would sure try. I think this is the kind of car the original poster is looking for, not one with 25,000 miles that needs the front end repainted, the curb rash on the wheels fixed, etc.

Bob K

:rolleyes: Typical emotional attachment I was talking about. Wants about the same money as he paid five years ago, disregarding the added years in age and additional mileage. Others are not capable of identifying a clean, well maintained car. Now that I have mine you will really have to pay to get yours. Prudent, educated buyers will dictate the market value of these cars. Emotional buyers will overpay.