Power steering leak?

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was sitting at a stop light and noticed smoke or steam coming out of the vent from the driver's side of the hood. I wasn't far from home (and in traffic) so I kept an eye on the gauges and kept smelling for something burning, but everything was fine. When I got home I grabbed the fire extinguisher (just in case) and opened the hood. There was a little fluid below the power steering pump. I have the power steering drain tube, so I'm thinking the fluid is coming from the end of the tube. Is this normal, or is it a serious problem that needs to be addressed?

I've heard the horror stories about Vipers catching on fire because the fluid ignites from getting on the exhaust, and about the pulley breaking so I'm very concerned. Has anyone else had this kind of problem?

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of course it's not normal. Power steering fluid is a low viscosity fluid (similar to an SAE 10W) but since it is designed to be used for tens of thousands of miles, it is low volatility (should not evaporate.) Viper problems have been when the engine speed and number of turns the driver makes have both been high, like autocross.

What is the level of power steering fluid now? What is the power steering fluid being used? Can you redirect the vent tube so that if it is coming from it, you can see the puddle?

Many power steering fluids labeled as for cold climates (i.e. GM Cold Climate Power Steering Fluid) are semi-synthetic (most likely Mopar has one also) and would be an excellent replacement. Different pulleys turn the accessories slower and while I doubt there is a practical power gain, it is helpful in reducing the stress on the power steering system.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What Tom said.

Also if your Viper is a 96 and the hoses have never been changed it is time to change them. Particularly the high pressure hose because it is near the headers and gets brittle and cracks over time.

While you're at it replace the pulley and bracket. Marchperformance.com has a nice looking pulley and a few VCA vendors sell a bracket.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
96GTS, Understand a few things about the reservoir and cap. Remove the cap. Notice the hole in the top of the ******. Blow in it. You will see how it vents under the splash shield on the inside. The hole is for venting but unless you are tracking the car or driving like you are if the level is correct you should rarely ever have fluid splash up and out the hole. What happens is many times the reservoir is too full.

Now to that. Wipe the dipstick clean. Install the cap and SCREW IT ON. Do not just put it in and check the level. You have to screw it on to properly check the level. If you don't you will overfill the reservoir. While you are doing this it can't hurt to turkey baster out the old and refill with new.

Now wipe everything down with paper towels all around and under the reservoir. Install the cap and take it for a drive. Stop multiple times and check for any leaks. We have read here about the hose at the bottom of the reservoir blowing out. It certainly can't hurt to call Tator and replace this.

When all is checked out install the vent tube. This will stop the cap from turning off and add another few inches to the ****** so it is impossible for fluid to make it out. IF the fluid level is correct.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dodge truly did a half-assed job on the power steering systems in Vipers. If the cap doesnt come off and burn your car down, either the plastic pulley or *** metal bracket will break and leave you stranded. Seriously, I dont know who designed the p/s system, but gawd I hope they were fired years ago!

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dodge truly did a half-assed job on the power steering systems in Vipers. If the cap doesnt come off and burn your car down, either the plastic pulley or *** metal bracket will break and leave you stranded. Seriously, I dont know who designed the p/s system, but gawd I hope they were fired years ago!

I think it was the same guy that designed tha A/C vent system!

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey dave, I'm going to order some Christmas stuff from you tomorrow!
Ya see, not wasted ad $.

Andy

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And next time smoke starts billowing out from under the hood , don't drive it home like my sister would , pull over and pop the hood.................

I safety wired mine.............

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

DWR46

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Viper Spray: Please show us a photo of how you safety wired your Power Steering Cap!

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Back when I was racing superbikes we had to safety wire everything. I use a very small drill bit and drill a hole outside the seal on the cap and then wire it to something that will keep tension clockwise. I use safety wire pliers to twist and untwist ,(when checking the fluid level) the safety wire. There is my pic in this post. Or you just can get the
tube , but safety wire is more secure , ask any avation mechanic.

787d1197428769-power-steering-leak-

Attachments

• wire3.JPG
    wire3.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

DWR46

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry, but I could not find any link to your pics. I need a clearer photo of where you drilled the holes for the safety wire.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, but I could not find any link to your pics. I need a clearer photo of where you drilled the holes for the safety wire.

I think his description nails it. Below the top where it seals on the threads but high enough to have some meat left below the hole. I would guess a 1/16" hole 1/8" above the base of the cap. The location of the hole on the perimeter should be determined with the cap tight, and the wire pointed towards something that you could tie it to, and that it would tighten the cap if the wire was tensioned or pulled on.

Ex aviation so I know all of that crap.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

DWR46

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Dave666, but I have tried that location and the wire is littterally impossible to "fish" through the cap and out the bottom. If the wire is left in place, you can not screw the cap on to the reservoir because the wire fouls the threads. He must be using another location higher up on the cap.

gen2lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
man I just bought that power steering cap from Roe Racing.It cost me $67 bucks to deliver it to Ontario,Canada! The part was only 29.95.:omg::confused:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Chuck, do you have stock in the above brand X:nono:

Again wasted ad money:crazy2: I don't see them spending money for ads on the VCA:nono:

Big Brake Dave:drive:
Home Page

Sorry Dave.

Yes Dave has an aluminum ps pully and I believe a bracket. Dave's pulley also looks to be a bit lighter than the March pulley but I never had the chance to weigh both on the same scale.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use a pipe wrench and give the cap about a 1/8 turn past hand tight. The cap gets a little chewed up from the wrench but it's my tracker so I'm not concerned about pretty.

I also change the fluid and check the level regularly.

Never had a problem with my street Viper.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use a pipe wrench and give the cap about a 1/8 turn past hand tight. The cap gets a little chewed up from the wrench but it's my tracker so I'm not concerned about pretty.

I also change the fluid and check the level regularly.

Never had a problem with my street Viper.

What size Vise-Grips do you use on the wheel lugs? :dunno:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Sorry.

Don't even own a pipe wrench.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member