Powered Subwoofers in a Gen III or IV Coupe

viperfuntime

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anybody installed one of these just behind the rear panel(above gas tank) in the Gen III or IV coupes. I know there are a few shallow mount subwoofers that are made in 8, 10 or 12" and with a amp built in I wonder how good the sound is?

I was looking at theKenwood KSC-SW10,MTX X ThunderLink XT110P,Infinity Basslink, or theBlaupunkt THb 210A.

Of those above, the Kenwood may actually fit in place of the stock sub box but I need to do some measuring tonight when I get home. In any event this may be a great way to add better bass to the car without having to replace amps and switching out the RB1 nav system.

I recently installed the Kicker door speakers and Diamond tweeters on the dash and the improvement in sound is great so far. Now I am focused on the subwoofer sound and I am looking for improvement with the least aggravation possible.

nemo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i had the kenwood in a 1988 toyota mr2 and it was crap for me im 19 and looking to up grade the system my 08 snake. but i would recomend maybe trying jl's new shallow mounts or putting a 6.5 woofer from jl or some one with an amp under ur seat. my friends have the baslink and like it but i am a huge fan of a crisp thump. and the kenwood didn't give that to me.

OP
OP
V

viperfuntime

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i had the kenwood in a 1988 toyota mr2 and it was crap for me im 19 and looking to up grade the system my 08 snake. but i would recomend maybe trying jl's new shallow mounts or putting a 6.5 woofer from jl or some one with an amp under ur seat. my friends have the baslink and like it but i am a huge fan of a crisp thump. and the kenwood didn't give that to me.

Was the Kenwood the model listed above? There is no room under the seat to put a box so that won't work.

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will post pictures later of my setup. I have an amp custom mounted in the trunk that looks very clean. The problem with the sub woofer is the box, there is not enough air to move any aftermarket sub out there. You need to get a bigger sub box.

OP
OP
V

viperfuntime

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will post pictures later of my setup. I have an amp custom mounted in the trunk that looks very clean. The problem with the sub woofer is the box, there is not enough air to move any aftermarket sub out there. You need to get a bigger sub box.

Agreed.... the factory sub box is weak and is limiting in terms of speaker upgrades.

Going with a "powered subwoofer" in the area just behind the seats on a horizontal should provide a great sound improvement if the subwoofer is amplified separately, the sub is bigger, and the amplifier (included as part of it) is strong enough. If you take the factory wiring to the stock sub and run it into the powered sub (aftermarket) the only other thing needed would be to install a power cable from the new box's built in amplifier to the battery which should be easy since its in the rear anyway.

I haven't seen anybody use the powered subs yet so I was wondering if there is anybody out there that likes the sound quality.

Black Adder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an Infinity Basslink in my Wakeboard boat and it's really good, even in the "open air".
Regards
Tony

nemo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Was the Kenwood the model listed above? There is no room under the seat to put a box so that won't work.

yes it was i had a custom bracket made and it sliped in between the seats i promise you, you won't like it unless you listen to your music on 10 or lower. just my 2 cents though. right now im working w a place that is going to either put 2 shallow mounts behind the seats of my 08 coupe or a ten between the seats and 1 in the passenger floor board. have to have loud so i can pull up next to the ricers and blow them outa the water in all aspects, speed, style, sound, exhaust, you know how it is. but then again im 19 like i said before as my dad said im a pak (punk ass kid)

jpa99acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
man I got my 1st gts at 22, if I got a 600 hp viper at 19 I probably would have crashed and died!

nemo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is Daddy supporting you(pak) or are you just a hard working kid with lots of luck? :eater:

my father passed 2 years ago. ( was for the better cancer and heart failure) but ive had a job since i was in 7th grade as a snack shack worker lol for the pool and i gave him 1000 dollars and he taught me how to invest it. turned it to 10,000 and baught several shares of google before it was 600 a share i think i paied somewhere around 100 per or less and it boomed and here i am. lol but no im not a kid that mommy and daddy have given every thing to i do understand the value of the dollar lol...... sometimes. haha

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good for you:2tu: Its nice to hear of a young man that has made it good. Im sorry for your loss of your Dad.:(
Im sure he would be proud of what you have accomplished.

nemo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good for you:2tu: Its nice to hear of a young man that has made it good. Im sorry for your loss of your Dad.:(
Im sure he would be proud of what you have accomplished.

i think he would too, well and he would be pissed because he got mad when i baught my r32 w the supercharger. so i can only imiagine what he would say w a 600 hp car lol. but thx.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4