Product to remove hard water spots?

Irid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a black and silver ACR. Recently it was parked near a broken sprinkler at work. The sprinkler was a giant fountain and dumped water all over the car during the day, which then evaporated off in the sun (it's in the 80's here).

I now have giant water spots all over the car, which I can't seem to get off. I pulled all of the wax off of the car this weekend, claybar'd it and then hit it with Zaino. That should have taken anything off of the paint...

No dice. I don't know if the water here (Washington) is exceptionally hard or what, but I can't get this off of the car. You can see it on the *glass*. Completely annoyed.

Something has to take it off, but I don't want to resort to heavy polishing unless I have to.

Suggestions?

bwhitmore

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There is a product called "Nothing's Better" (spelling may be unique?) that is designed for removing hard water spots on glass. Don't know about paint though. It is a white powder that you sprinkle on and wet down into a paste to polish out the spots.

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will probably have to use a Porter Cable and some 3M cleaner. Best to take to a detailer if you don't already have the equipment.

smashman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, Good old Porter Cable and some 3M Cleaner wax or Finesse It will do the trick.

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try white vinegar,Just put some on a towel and rub the spots,it work 90% of the time.

Luc.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Meguires paint and body scrub.

It works mirracles and is clear coat safe. I cant over estimate how well this product works. Just put it on a cotton rag and rub the area you want cleaned. The harder you rub the more comes off.

96 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try white vinegar,Just put some on a towel and rub the spots,it work 90% of the time.

Luc.

I agree with above 100%. Use the vinegar to get rid of the majority of the mineral salts before you use anything else on the surface. Simple chemistry.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had that happen to me once, what a bummer. Try 3m ssr 39009 by hand or with a pc and a finishing pad if you have one.

Bo knows

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to agree with Russ M. Meguires paint & body scrub works miracles. The only problem you'll have with it is after you do one spot you'll want to do the whole car. I have had great results with this product using a buffer also.

Bo knows :2tu:

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a similar thing happen to my Cobra...the hose burst and soaked the car in the sun.

I washed it with Dawn..with a dash of baking soda in the water. It took off all the Zaino and the water spots too.
I suppose the Zaino was the sacrificial layer.

As said above, vinegar is definately the place to start. You could either make up a mix of water-vinegar, or soak a soft towell with the vinegar and soak the marks off.

Avoid using anything abrasive until you have tried these more gentle ideas first.

OP
OP
I

Irid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the vinegar ok to use on the body? (scared!) The spots are all over the dang car. I started with the "strip it down with dawn, the claybar and then zaino" and got nada.

I'll try the Meguiars paint and body scrub and the vinegar in some isolated spots and see how it goes, then use whatever works over the car and then strip it down and built it back up again with some zaino madness.

Thanks guys!

XS TORQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vinegar is what Sal Zaino suggested to me when I had this issue as a starting point (prior to using anything abrasive). When in doubt, call Sal!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang