Progress on diagnostics on sketchy pete

SketchyPete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all,

Not giving up, even if it means an LS or **** cat swap!

J/K I played with it some more today and was curious on some experienced folks thoughts. The cam sensor plug and crank sensor plug both have a 5v reference and a 5v pull down signal.
This makes me believe that the PCM is functioning.

I have no spark, the car spins, I smell gas and turns 3/4 cycles and had to have the key reset to try again.

I disconnected the cam sensor and attempted to crank, the car spins and spins, I smell fuel in the intake, still no spark. This is a different behavior.

I disconnected the crank sensor, the car spins but does not spin indefinitely, it turns 3/4 cranks and then stops. I reconnected the crank sensor, the car spins and spins. Same behavior

So, Im leaning towards throwing another cam sensor at it. I have had a no communication message with a cheapo scanner. It could be the cam sensor or it could be the BCM and I believe the PCM communicates through the BCM.

Any thoughts?

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
You have to be careful with the cam sensor as the depth is very important to get right. There isn't a stop or a shoulder or anything that you just install it till it bottoms or anything like that. There is a prescribed distance you're supposed to keep the sensor from the rib on the cam. Do you know if it has been touched before? You might be able to see on the sense where the bolt holding it has been as it would show a clean spot. If there is more than one spot it might be as simple as just readjusting the sensor to the correct depth.

A no spark condition could also be as simple as a bad wire to the coil packs somewhere. They are unfortunately not easy to get to since they are under the intake though. If you can I'd try unplugging them and checking that you have power or ground or whatever the common wire is to each pack (can't recall off the top of my head, but guessing it's a common power and the PCM supplies ground to fire them).

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Here's part of the coil circuit:
You must be registered for see images attach

Looks like you should have power from the ASD and the PCM then grounds things to fire a pair of cylinders (wasted spark). I think the ASD should show power with just key on.

Coils are the same kind of setup:
You must be registered for see images attach

S137 is a splice that comes from the ASD relay as well (you can see it on the coil schematic at the top right). Only difference here is each injector gets an individual driver (the other 5 look exactly the same).

If you're smelling gas in the intake though, I would wager the injectors are working and you've at least got power there. You could still possibly have a bad power wire to the coil packs, but it seems a bit unlikely that both would have broken and none of the injector ones. Still, guess it doesn't hurt to check if you can get to them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave