PS2's/Runflats

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've finally pulled the trigger on some PS2's. They should be on my car in a few days. I currently have the stock funflats on my car with 7k on them. They are in great shape but ya know, they're runflats. My question is, do I keep these things or just give them over to the installer? I know they were expensive at the time but not sure what I would do with them. Are they worth selling? They are in fact in great shape with tons of tread. Some thoughts would be appreciated.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe the installer will give you a few bucks for them? A while back, I put a set of tires on my Jeep that I just wan't too happy with, and after a few thousand miles I called around to a bunch of tire shops to see if they'd buy them off of me if I bought a new set from them. I found a place that did it, and while I didn't get much for the tires, it was better than just tossing them. The problem with trying that with the Viper is the size is pretty specific to the car - it might be tough to find an installer who will take them since they probably don't deal with many Vipers.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Were they the OEM's? I just bought some PS2s today for my '01 RT/10. I have the OEM tires on that car. I think I might hang onto them. Either just to keep the OEM piece of the car or maybe sell them to someone who wants to go to a burn out contest and wants cheep tires to take.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tape up your wheel wells first, though... Melted rubber is a pain to clean off :) This actually sounds like a good way to get your money's worth out of the tires and I might just do the same thing with mine - and then call JonB for the latest and greatest that will fit my GTS...

OP
OP
C

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A very good friend of mine, the one that owns the Ferraris, says the same thing. He wants to go out and burn those babies up. That is tempting I will admit.

06blueviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put them in the classifieds. I needed 2 fronts last week and would've bought the entire set from you. Unfortunately I already bought a new set of front runflats at retail. I bought my rear set from a VCA member last yr. Don't just give them away...

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've finally pulled the trigger on some PS2's. They should be on my car in a few days. I currently have the stock funflats on my car with 7k on them. They are in great shape but ya know, they're runflats. My question is, do I keep these things or just give them over to the installer? I know they were expensive at the time but not sure what I would do with them. Are they worth selling? They are in fact in great shape with tons of tread. Some thoughts would be appreciated.

Hey Chrissss, Not sure who you are using localy to swap out your wheels but there is next to nobody that can swap out the rears and balance them without damaging the rims. I found one guy and he does an increadible job and also "road balances" them. Performance Alignment I use him for corner balancing my motons and balancing my hoosiers. Great guy and yes the place is a hole in the wall but in a good part of town and he knows his crap! Also if your going to give them away Im sure I could find a local VACA guy that could do something with them :)

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw a photo of a beautiful garage (a man cave) and the lounge area had two tires stacked on top of each other with a clear lucite table top on top. Makes a great looking coffee table, especially if the runflats have most of their tread left.

Bob

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Runcraps aren't worth saving no matter how much tread is on them, JMHO. you didn't mention what the date was on them, no matter how much tread is on them it doesn't matter if they are old tires.

Skybob has a great idea, use them as autoart:)

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I over burned mines up. Yellow smoke and everything. The only reason I made it home was because of the runflat technology. Those stiff sidewall came in handy.

witz323

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Burnouts all the way man. I plan on doing the same with mine come spring time, and they only have 5,400 miles on them.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I've finally pulled the trigger on some PS2's. ......... Are they worth selling? They are in fact in great shape with tons of tread. Some thoughts would be appreciated.

I hate waste......... Budgets matter. I dont like RunCraps..... HOWEVER: We have some customers / members who simply cannot afford, or wont prioritize, new PS2s. Laid off, tough times, obstinate, etc.

I say put em in Classifieds and make em avail to someone who has a need. They will go fast if you price em right.

PS.. Did we do your tires? Just sent a set to OH. We have GREAT prices on PS2. We regularly beat the "tire giants' by $40-$60/set and no tax. Thanks

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Jon - do the Pilot Sport Cups come in a size that will fit my stock '97 GTS? While they're scary as hell on wet and cold roads, the GTS is in sunny Cali and I never drive it when it's raining. I really like the grip and feel of those Sport Cups that are on the ACR! If they don't come in my size, once I get to the point where I have time to swap out the tires on the GTS (after of course testing my launch skills and threshold braking with the existing tires :) ) I'll be giving you a call for some PS2s.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Jon - do the Pilot Sport Cups come in a size that will fit my stock '97 GTS? While they're scary as hell on wet and cold roads, the GTS is in sunny Cali and I never drive it when it's raining. I really like the grip and feel of those Sport Cups that are on the ACR! If they don't come in my size, once I get to the point where I have time to swap out the tires on the GTS (after of course testing my launch skills and threshold braking with the existing tires :) ) I'll be giving you a call for some PS2s.

Sorry, No sprt Cups for 17" or 18" Vipers. But we have some great new Kumhos that are wide and sticky and only about $700 for the whole car! No-fear in compromised traction either

Last edited:

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JonB is right, we should waste, but my trips to the parking lot has taught me some invaluable lessons about the cars handling characteristics.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Put them in the classifieds. I needed 2 fronts last week and would've bought the entire set from you. Unfortunately I already bought a new set of front runflats at retail. I bought my rear set from a VCA member last yr. Don't just give them away...

YIKES !! We have lots of used, front Runflats, CHEAP, no rears !!!

Half Of All Advertising....................

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
JonB is right, we should waste, but my trips to the parking lot has taught me some invaluable lessons about the cars handling characteristics.

Driver Education is not a waste! ...but giving them to a Ferrari Buddy to smoke?
I believe a Viper owner would gladly pay you $200-$250... waste the $250 somewhere instead? ?

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
So what's the value of used runflats? I have 2 rear and 1 front (1 front took a nail near the sidewall) from my '05 with only 6000 miles on them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave