Purpose of the liquid in headlight

vigilantty

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The yellow tubes in the head light assembly are to determine headlight level. Some people call them headlight "aimers". You can use these tubes to adjust proper headlight position.

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No No No They are emergency light beacons. If you get stranded at night, you take them out, bend them a little to break the inner seal, shake it really hard and you get 20 minutes worth of light. :D :D

George Bryce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found two reasons for my liquid filled tubes. In 1999 when I got my new ACR....My wife and my little 3 year old girl were walking around the car, admiring its obvious beauty......my wife says "what are those little yellow liquid thingys" .....my lil 3 year old says "Mom", as she bent over close with her hands behind her back, "those tell you how much headlights you have left!" We laughed so hard we liked to have peed in our pants. :eek:

My answer to all that ask me about the lil yellow thingies....is....they are little mercury switches that cut the ignition when the front end goes higher than 45 degrees!!!!! :eek:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My answer to all that ask me about the lil yellow thingies....is....they are little mercury switches that cut the ignition when the front end goes higher than 45 degrees!!!!! :eek:

Around here in San Francisco, we have streets on hills that are more than 45 degrees. Talk about a lame sounding excuse for being late to work.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always love it when this topic comes up on the board! ;)

yea but the funny thing is I don't think we ever got to the REAL answer.

Hell I still honestly don't know.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just like the liquid/bubble on a level. Gives you a reference to the horizontal alignment of the headlight. Doesn't mean that one should go and just align to the 0 mark though. Depending on the ride height of your car, that may be too high or too low.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From a distance of, I think 20', on a level surface, the light points of the headlights/fog lights have to be a certain distance from the ground and a certain distance from each other. In the case of the headlight/fog light relationship, the fog lights have to be a certain distance below the headlights. The specs of which are in the service manual, which I do not have in front of me since I am at work. A template is usually drawn with these specs, and hung on a wall. The template center is aligned with the center of the vehicle.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The liquid is for reactor cooling on the headlight filaments. If the filament runs too hot, the liquid will bubble up, kind of like old fashioned Christmas tree ornaments.

The secondary function is for crash determination. If you ever plan to purchase a used Viper, look at these liquid filled glass modules. If one or both are empty, it indicated that Viper has been in a front end collision. ;>)

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always love it when this topic comes up on the board! ;)

yea but the funny thing is I don't think we ever got to the REAL answer.

Hell I still honestly don't know.

It's for aiming the headlights

ohh cool. thanks.

but how do you aim them??

With a big hammer!

There are ways to adjust them if you start looking around. I've never done it tho.

Roland L-Ocala FL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No No No! All you guys are wrong, it's to check the oil level in the engine. If the left side tube is down 1 number, then you are short a quart of oil. You can also check to see if you need to change the oil by how dirty the fluid gets in the tube.
----------------

Seriously if you just get the Owner's Manual out and look in the headlight section, it has all kinds of info as to how to aim the headlights with these tubes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper