Put in Fram CA8093 Air Filter and 97 GTS runs like crap...

SteveMat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After I installed a Fram CA8093 Air Filter (thought was to replace the K&N's for daily driving), my 97 GTS runs like crap. Not throwing any codes but lots of hesitation, some minor back firing and a minor high idle. I have about 50 miles after the replacement so I assume the computer would have relearned the different air flow?

Thoughts, the only thing I did was swap filters so this was unexpected...

Steve

sshorty

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where is the mass air sensor on the viper and other intake sensors...did you accidentally touch/move/install incorrectly any of those sensors? Did you seal everything, or is the there a hose left open by mistake? If what I'm saying doesn't make sense cause the car is a speed density car, then im sorry as i am not yet a viper owner...just saying as far as general automotive knowledge goes, this could be a contribution to your problem.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, are you SURE you didnt disconnect any wires to get to the filters before you swapped them out? I dunno about Gen 2's, but on my car, there's a air sensor plugged directly into the airbox and I forgot to plug it back up one day after cleaning my K&N's. That threw my ck. eng light immediately upon crankup, and I remembered I had forgot to reconnect.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not the filters. Put your K&N's back in (without reconnecting any found losse wires) and I'll bet you have the same issue. I use the Fram CA8093's and have no issues. Ran dyno tests on them too. Better than OEM's and in fact bought a lifetime supply.

Mister XR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what's the deal... fram air filters get more crap out of the air but don't give as much performance? I've been told to avoid fram like the plague, but if it's going to prolong the engine life I'd go for it. This much power is gonna get me into trouble real soon.

OP
OP
SteveMat

SteveMat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Given that the getting to the filters is not the easiest thing I thought I may have unplugged something something, I did go through a check any hoses / electrical connecters anywhere near the air box.

Pretty sure everything is still sealed up right, the clips are all attached.

I guess I'll recheck the connectors and maybe put the K&N's back in. I'm guessing I messed something up but was hoping someone else had the samething happen to them (minus leaving something unplugged)...

I'll report back

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you take them out of the wrapper before installing?
Sorry, couldn't resist.

:buttkick:

OP
OP
SteveMat

SteveMat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That fixed it, I pulled the wrapper that the Fram filters came in out of the air baffle (they really didn't fit so I had them all crumbled up - they really should have that marked on the instructions) :bonker:

Actually, I pulled everything back off and kept the Fram's in, unplugged/replugged every connector and we are running fine. One of pleats from the Fram had gotten folded back and caught in the airbox so maybe that was making a large leak.

Note, intent of original post was not to imply FRAM filters are bad but more me being lazy and not wanting to pull everything back off to see what I messed up.

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I run the Fram filters since I got tired of the K&N's popping airbox clips all the time and haven't had any problems. glad you got it fixed...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery