QA1 shock questions

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey folks!
I tried looking beforehand, but the search feature requires a minimum of 4 characters so.....no results.

I have a couple of questions about the QA1 shocks.

1. In all the pictures I've seen (uninstalled), they show the shocks in their compressed position, but with no tie-down.
On the never-installed set that I checked out this past weekend, I could extend and retract the shock by hand, and it would remain in the last position I moved it to.

Is there something I'm missing with these things? Are they leaking/dead? Need fluid?

2. The set that I was looking at had a very odd adjustment setup for the rears. Instead of the adjustment knob coming off the side of the main cylinder at 90º, it was directly below the lower bushing (facing toward the ground). The bushing mount is made so that the adjustment control runs along the backside (or front side, depending on how you view it) of the mount, inline with the main shock cylinder.

I don't have pictures of said rear shocks, but I whipped this up in SolidWorks real quick:

You must be registered for see images attach

Does anyone know anything about this type of mount? I've never seen it on a QA1 before, and nothing on their site comes close.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!!!

Luke@tirerack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
while I am not familiar with the QA1 shocks so, you may want to talk with them directly.

#1.) not all shocks use a high pressure nitrogen gas charge in the shocks and many others have fitting to allow the end user to "charge the shock with compressed air.

#2.) adjustable shocks use many different types of adjusters as well as different location per application as there may be something blocking access to the adjuster

OP
OP
K

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, Luke.

After posting (never claimed I was the brightest bulb on the tree....heh heh), I did call QA1 and spoke with a very knowledgeable tech there.

The shocks are normally like as I described. They are not "charged", per se.
Of course, I didn't ask *how* to get them to work as a damper, so I guess another call will happen in the future.

I described the mounting tab to them and they've never made a shock with an adjustment dial coming out of the bottom.
The tech REALLY wants to see whatthehell the mount looks like though. I don't think he was too pleased to hear that someone is modifying their shocks and re-badging them. :)

Actual pics coming soon (if anyone here is interested).