Question about dealer work on the door?

BSheppard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2002 GTS that the passenger door is drooping a little. Only problem I have ever had out of the car. I have adjusted it one time my self a few years ago. Took a long time and I think this time I want a new hinge, weather stipping and a dealer/body shop to do the work for me. So, a few questions.

1)What should it cost ballpark at the Dodge dealer?

2)Would you go to the dealer or a good bodyshop?

3)Is there an aftermarket hinge that would hold up better?

Thanks in advance.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think we are stuck with oem hinges. GOOD used is an option too

personally id do that or let my buddy who has a mechanics shop do it. but the best will always be a body shop, they do hinges all day long. the dealer will screw it up IMO. most dealers dont have viper experience let alone hinge experience

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had some exhaust work done, a/c sealead and charged, sills painted and the facia aligned on my 98 GTS last week and and the guy pretty much threw in the door adjustment. He didn't even write it on the receipt. The guy does mainly body work but he's a used car dealer and also does general repair. He's also a Viper and Vette owner and enthusiast. I spoke to the guy that actually did the work and he said the door was a snap. The fascia on the other hand was a different story...

I would take it to a body guy and let him try to adjust it. I'm thinking the hinge is expensive and you may not need it. To me it actually looks easier on a Gen2 or Gen1 Viper than most other cars because of that little panel that sits right in front of the door comes off so easily.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do it yourself. I doubt the hinge is injured (usually the broken detent spring is all that goes wrong with them). Especially ont he passenger side (unless you are shuttling a LOT of Betties in and out of the car :D) As long as you have the proper torx bit, a floor jack with some padding, and some time you can do it yourself. If not go body shop not dealer.

OP
OP
B

BSheppard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I have fixed it a few times myself. I don't want to do it agian. After reading you alls advice, I decided to take it to a bodyshop. They said to not replace the hinge and that it would not cost more than 1/2 hour of labor. He said that in the past that they had put some kind of boding material on the back side of the hinge to help keep it in place. What are your thoughts on that? I told him to hold off until I thought about it.

whts-nxt?

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Im assuming the shop is talking about using like an epoxy mix "lord fusor,duramix, sem," as the bonding agent. If they use a small amount thats fine and no big deal. it will help your hinge from sliding and i guess thats what you are saying its doing. Just make sure they arent goin to go crazy with that stuff. What we use is an excellent for ******* but any excess that is not wiped off is super hard to get off. IM sure they will use a small layer between it and remove any excess. I would say something just to be sure though.

OP
OP
B

BSheppard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im assuming the shop is talking about using like an epoxy mix "lord fusor,duramix, sem," as the bonding agent. If they use a small amount thats fine and no big deal. it will help your hinge from sliding and i guess thats what you are saying its doing. Just make sure they arent goin to go crazy with that stuff. What we use is an excellent for ******* but any excess that is not wiped off is super hard to get off. IM sure they will use a small layer between it and remove any excess. I would say something just to be sure though.

Will do. Thanks for all the help.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make sure it's really the door and not just the door panel pulling loose. If it is coming loose it will drag just like a hinge that needs adjusted.

OP
OP
B

BSheppard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make sure it's really the door and not just the door panel pulling loose. If it is coming loose it will drag just like a hinge that needs adjusted.

Tell me what to look for? Where would the door panel come loose? Are you talking about where the hinge bolts to the door or the inside panel with carpet?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony means the inside trim panel. He's from Georgia; I will translate.

Grab the black interior trim panel in one hand and the exterior of the door in the other. They should not move separately.

OP
OP
B

BSheppard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony means the inside trim panel. He's from Georgia; I will translate.

Grab the black interior trim panel in one hand and the exterior of the door in the other. They should not move separately.

I will stop by the shop in the AM and try this out. Thanks for the help.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If they glue the hinge to the body you hope that there is never another adjustment needed?

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My passenger side door rubs the jamb by the latch and the drivers door doesn't stay open very long before it closes itself.

I have a friend that just fixed the Viper with the vertical doors. You know it was that red R/T that notched the hood just to open the doors... He fixed the hood and put regualar hinges back on.

Anyways I think we might look into some aftermarket hinges to open these doors a little further out in the near future. I think there is enough slack in the wiring inside the door that will allow the doors to open further. I know there is a little bit of slack under the dash if you move the wires around a little.

I notice that the wires seem to be set up way to high in the jamb which could be lowered so they don't pull or rub any wires like they do now. It's just an idea right now, but it something I want to looking into more down the road. ;)

OP
OP
B

BSheppard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they glue the hinge to the body you hope that there is never another adjustment needed?

Thanks for all the help guys. No glue was needed. The shop said I had not tightned down the bolts good the last time I did an adjustment. They said that I was good to go and not to replace my weather stipping since it looked good to them and I had no leaks.

The shop was great to deal with and would not even let me pay them for the adjustment!

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys. No glue was needed. The shop said I had not tightned down the bolts good the last time I did an adjustment. They said that I was good to go and not to replace my weather stipping since it looked good to them and I had no leaks.

The shop was great to deal with and would not even let me pay them for the adjustment!

It can't get too much better than that. Glad you're all fixed up.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kodiakleather