Question about Navigation System for Gen II

NOTV8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is there any navigation kit for Gen. II? I have after market navigation for my truck (Avic 1 by pioneer, a bit pricey but it really works) and looking to put one in my FE. I saw the thread for group buys for Gen 1 but not for gen II. Is there a navigation kit for FE? Anyone?
Thanks for any input.

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Use the search function for this web site. A couple of the flip out screen types work on the Gen II. Both Pioneer and Alpine make models, but I don't remember the model numbers.

I use a Garmin StreetPilot 2620 unit that mounts with a windshield suction mount. Works fine when I need it and removes for other times.

Viblur

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bought my 98 with a Alpine CVA-1006 installed..overkill but works great, I can send pics for DVD location etc..

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I would never want a nav system in my Viper. It would take away the excuse to the wife of, "Sorry honey, I got lost" :cool: when I sneak out for some extended driving time!

OP
OP
N

NOTV8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Viblur,
Can you send picture? How do you like the installation? Just looking to compare it with the pioneer before I decide which to put in my viper. Thanks in advance.

tmcalist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Pioneer AVIC in my Viper and it works great. The antenna is on the dash and you don't even notice it. Here are some pics
You must be registered for see images
You must be registered for see images

The one thing I would like to do is shift the climate controls so that when the screen is out it does not block the vents.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I also have a Pioneer AVIC-N1 in my Gen II RT/10. I'm fairly happy with it. When I researched it (last June), it was by far the best bang-for-the-bug dash-installable AM/FM/CD/MP3/DVD/Navigation system out there. (I installed the antenna in the sport-pad - the pad in front of the roll bar, by hollowing it out).

I also own a couple of Garmin units (StreetPilot 1 recently sold, StreetPilot III, Etrex Legend, and a number of older units), and I must say that the Garmin units are more convenient when it comes to figuring routes, but they can't play MP3 CDs, DVDs, etc.

The DVD player entertained my copilot for most of the 50 hours of driving to and from VOI8, which the Garmin units wouldn't do.

All in all, I'm happy with it, although it could be improved. Main drawbacks to the Pioneer unit are
1) having to insert the map database DVD (one for the west half of the US, one for the east) whenever you want to compute a route, and
2) it does an incredibly bad job of figuring long distance routes - for instance, the route it figured from San Jose CA to VOI8 was about 200-400 miles out-of-the-way, no matter how one configured the average speed per type of road - it insisted on taking me through L.A. and OKC, both of which are out of the way.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You guys must be kidding!!!
[....]
1996 RT/10 White w/Blue Stripes
2003 BMW M3 Convertible
1998 Nissan Pickup
2004 Nissan Pathfinder Armada LE
This, coming from someone with a BMW? :cool:

Viblur

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ric.. pics attached as promised.. pics are a bit dark as my digital camera skills diminish with Saturday night scotch...in summmary, the dvd player is located in the RR wheel well area, most cabling routed on the right (passenger) side of the interior.. also, the ac/heat vents in the middle of the console are toast when this unit is installed (would guess this is normal for all sound upgrades due to behind dash space)...honestly have never used the Nav unit, sound / control wise it's a great unit.. paul

4777CIMG0842-med.JPG

4777CIMG0856.JPG

4777CIMG0857.JPG

4777CIMG0858.JPG

OP
OP
N

NOTV8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I just order the pioneer Avic-n1.
Nice dash tmcalist. Who painted it? I am thinking of doing mine either painted or carbon fiber just don't know where to go yet.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I just order the pioneer Avic-n1.
If you're going to install it yourself, you'll want to go by a stereo shop to pick up an amplifier extension cable for the stock Alpine head unit/amplifier, so you can cut the cable up and attach it to the new head unit so you don't have to cut into the car wiring. Otherwise, plan on about 8 hours for the installation (it took me a full Saturday to do).

The unit is actually two parts; the head unit and the remote unit. The remote unit is almost as big (but half as tall) as the head unit. As I recall, it has to be mounted within 30 degrees or so of horizontal, so I chose to mount it under the driver's seat. The driver's seat is actually very easy to remove - just four bolts.

tmcalist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks JASMELMIC. A local guy here in Tampa did the paint as well as the install on the stereo equipment. PM me and I will give you his name and number. The guy has skills.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960