question about throw-out / release bearing

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's a clutch kit on eBay that shows the release bearing separate from the transmission input shaft "cover" that bolts to the front of the transmission case. Anybody know how the release bearing is removed from the assembly? The service manual says the bearing is not taken off the slave cylinder. Thanks.

clutch kit on eBay

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom I purchased one of those clutches last month. It is a Luk brand clutch. I am puting it in a 96 GTS I hope to find out about this same question. If anyone knows about this clutch and the install of it, I would like to know about it.

OP
OP
T

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So Mike, what does the inside of the new release bearing look like? There must be a tang, clip, or gizmo we all need to know about....

OP
OP
T

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Clutch release bearings alone (no hydraulic slave) are available for $40 (includes shipping) from

[email protected] if you want to do Paypal

-or-

Young Sohn
Buyclutch.com
16926 S. Keegan Ave. #A Carson, CA 90746

These are the same folks that sell the LUK clutch kit on eBay for $185. I am not in any way associated with these guys, but I appreciate their replies to the (obvious) cheapskate questions I had.

There is only one tang that hold the plastic skirt of the release bearing guide onto the slave cylinder. If the hydraulic pressure line is at the 3:00 position, the bleed valve at 2:00, then the tang is at 6:00. Pinch hard at the seams of the plastic skirt and bow the skirt out so it clears the tang. Or, since you don't need it, once you find the tang, pry the plastic lip over it. I ordered one, if you want to know if it's good quality or whatever, send me a note on Friday (arrival date.)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96