Question for dual Viper owners

pavenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have thought alot lately about possibility of having second Viper. IMHO nothing beats the Gen II cars for looks but after driving the Gen III cars at the recent Eastern Zone Redezvous, it is clear they have the performance edge. One can obviously increase performance of Gen II to beat virtually anything one can conjure up, so I am curious why so many Viper owners have elected to purchase second car. Do most dual owners have convertible and GTS coupe regardless of Gen or do most opt for having different Gen cars? For those who do own 2 Vipers, do you use them differently, for example one low mileage and one driven frequently? Curious how other VCA members have approached this question.
Pavenom
2000 Red RT/10

Viper Fever

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Easy, exercise waxing only one viper was getting to
easy needed the other viper to stay in shape. I could
own 10 gts and still not have enough.No explanation
I just love these cars. However might supercharge my red 97 gts and keep the b/w 96 stock

ViperCorp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I owned both a GTS and an SRT simulatenously. I drove the SRT as more of a daily driver. The SRT is a car you can relax in ... refined. The GTS is car I have to "be in the mood for" because its just reflects BRUT both driving and looks.

I bought the SRT because I wanted a VERT -- what I got was a car that was incredibly quick and I had no idea ... so quick ... I crashed it. I think owning an SRT and a GTS simulatenously is a great combo!!

Reaction score
Started in late 95 with my first RT, a MacViper, and loved that car until a 97 GTS arrived followed by a GT2 an ACR and SRT10. The first two were sold. After the first GTS arrived the RT received little use. The GTS provides more features like sun protection (never took the RT soft top out of its plastic cover) more space for luggage, etc. The GT2 is more for show, the ACR is for the Track and the SRT is great for a daily driver.

A GTS / SRT10 combo is great.

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have an Old Gen I for myself, simply because that is the one I like ahd I have to much work into it to get rid of. Just hit 50K miles, so it is a driver.

Also, have an 01 GTS that is really my wifes, she always liked the coupe and the Gen II's are better for her, with the windows, adjustable pedals. Plus this is more like the going out to dinner car, since it is so civilized. Also a driver has 30K miles on it.

I would love to have an SRT to ifin I had Room & extra $$ laying around. :headbang:

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 97 b/w was my first viper, and would be the last thing I ever sell. I got the SRT because of the true convertible, and the excellent driveability. But I don't consider the SRT a replacement in any way. The 97 is the car I race, the SRT is the car my wife races, she can hardly drive the 97, if that tells you anything.

Gus Strakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I prefer the Gen II cars over the Gen III because of the radical “over the top” styling of the Gen I/II. I also prefer the Gen II over the Gen I because of the real windows and increased horsepower. So for me, if you are going to have two vipers, a GTS, and a Gen II RT/10 is the way to go. I don't use either as a daily driver, and I find that I am driving each about the same.

Don

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One for cold weather (no snow), one for summer. Love the side pipes, but wanted a car I could lock up. I don't like the SRT "yet" so I haven't given it any thought. That doesn't say much as I didn't like the body style of the late 90's Dodge Ram either, but it became one of the most popular truck body styles out there. It grew on me and maybe the SRT will too.

Wayne Finch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTS is more of the "musuem" or special outing car. SRT is more of the daily driver type.

GTS is better to look at but the SRT is better to drive

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I prefer the Gen II cars over the Gen III because of the radical “over the top” styling of the Gen I/II. I also prefer the Gen II over the Gen I because of the real windows and increased horsepower. So for me, if you are going to have two vipers, a GTS, and a Gen II RT/10 is the way to go. I don't use either as a daily driver, and I find that I am driving each about the same.

I agree :2tu: :2tu: 99 RT and a 2001 GTS, but I really enjoyed my ole Gen 1.5. Sold her with over 53K miles on the clock and was going strong, I just prefered to have windows. :usa: :usa: :usa:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I find that each Viper is different...having it's own "personality"...and, as such, offers me a different driving experience as I go from one to another.

Wife's theory (and I agree with her on this issue) is that one can't have too many Vipers.