Question for GTS Owners

tito#14srt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How good is the a/c on the gts 96-2002 compared to a gen3 or gen4 a/c system? I have heard different opinions on how gts has less a/c vents and so fourth and that the A/C will never be cool enough to where you will turn the knob down because it got too cold in a state like texas or florida where I live and it stays hot year round I would like to have a/c.. I would think if the system has zero leaks and the O-rings have been replaced system has had vacuum and recharged that the cars A/C should be cold and you should be able to enjoy driving your GTS without having to sweat your a$$ off with the windows down. thanks

heath1225

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just got mine and I think its pretty good. I have been in newer cars with less effective A/C.

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A/C on my supercharged 99 in hot Georgia weather works great. Remove the cats or go with highflows will help keep the cabin heat down.

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Adequate for one person, marginal for two.

For temps above 100, I agree with the above for my '01 GTS. That's only if it's sunny out ... if cloudy and that hot it works OK. Always OK for 1 person, but sharing the limited vents with 2 people can be a challenge.

OP
OP
T

tito#14srt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess in my case the GTS will be perfect since my wife doesnt like the A/C vents blowing on her anyway lol

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my old 99 GTS the only thing to complain about was the poor AC in the summer. By this I mean a very weak fan motor, poor control of temps and of course they all just have the passenger "hole" only down low which is almost useless. Dodge really stepped up the entire AC for Gen 3 and beyond.

OP
OP
T

tito#14srt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my old 99 GTS the only thing to complain about was the poor AC in the summer. By this I mean a very weak fan motor, poor control of temps and of course they all just have the passenger "hole" only down low which is almost useless. Dodge really stepped up the entire AC for Gen 3 and beyond.

Is there an aftermarket fan motor that is better then the oem?

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im not sure if there is an aftermarket fan motor available that would give a better flow for the GTS but it would really improve it.

g3t_t0rk

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A/C works great in my opinion. Only complaint is that there is no vent on the left for your left side/arm but better some a/c than no a/c!

DEADEYE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just went for a ride in a Gen 4 and the A/C in my GTS is no comparison but mine *****. I rode in an ACR later that day, the SRT was better than that one too.

OP
OP
T

tito#14srt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As long as I have some A/C is better then no A/C plus I plan to order an rsi street twin turbo and upgrade the interior with suede

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Adding a FMIC and turbos in the foot wells will probably not help the A/C situation out. Like said earlier, just be happy to have some A/C.

Johnny GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get in, buckle-up open the windows feel the power and enjoy it will never get cooler than this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine work great after replacing inlet and outlet rings. Almost as cold as my new accord. Very adequate

OP
OP
T

tito#14srt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine work great after replacing inlet and outlet rings. Almost as cold as my new accord. Very adequate

Thats the first thing I plan on doing is changing the o rings....wht year gts you have? Do you go to any local car shows here in tampa

Bugman Jeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've always charged AC systems by vent temp, not refrigerant weight. This is especially effective with some of the freon replacements that don't cool exactly the same as 134a. Enviro-safe for example is a bit more efficient than standard 134a(though not as good as R-12), so you don't need as much to get the same effect. Recently I charged the AC in my new use '97 GTS, I stopped adding freon once my vents were consistently blowing 47°(on a 85° day). I don't remember what pressures I had on the gauges, but both were well within acceptable ranges.

OP
OP
T

tito#14srt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've always charged AC systems by vent temp, not refrigerant weight. This is especially effective with some of the freon replacements that don't cool exactly the same as 134a. Enviro-safe for example is a bit more efficient than standard 134a(though not as good as R-12), so you don't need as much to get the same effect. Recently I charged the AC in my new use '97 GTS, I stopped adding freon once my vents were consistently blowing 47°(on a 85° day). I don't remember what pressures I had on the gauges, but both were well within acceptable ranges.

cool thanks for the helpful info I will keep this in mind when I do it on mine.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only issues I have run into are heat soak. I have headers and once the heat up the condenser box the car doesn't really blow super cold air anymore.

Luisv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just evacuated the system and recharged it. I figure it was never done and it could not hurt to swap the 11 year old refrigerant. Pressures were OK except that the low side dropped a little lower than I'd like it. After the recharge.... Definitely cools more.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper