Question for those who have repainted the nose

Kevin ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car has stripes and I was wondering if it works out to take the nose in and have it painted. Can the painter mark off where the stripes are, strip the front end and then repaint and get the stripes in the exact right spot without the car?

My front end was painted with hardener of some type in it and the paint is very brittle, any flexing and it spider cracks. So I want them to pull a color match in advance of stripping the paint, mark the stripes, strip the nose, repaint and stripe with flex agent of some type. I have tri coat akzo sikkens paint. Then I'll just reinstall the nose.

Make sense, any obvious issues?

Thanks

Reaction score
We refinish the fascias of Vipers and often do the same thing it is easy to premark and get it right if the body shop is really qualified to be working on your Viper.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My front end was painted with hardener of some type in it and the paint is very brittle, any flexing and it spider cracks.

Sounds more like they did not add the flex additive to the paint.

Paul S Lacey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had mine painted both stripes and red on my old GTS the paint shop matched both colours very well.

Paint codes are on you door panel and if you paint the whole front the match should be good.

Ulysses is quite correct the problem is they did not use any flexable agent in the paint mix.

OP
OP
K

Kevin ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'm not real happy because nothing happened to the paint for a year after the new nose was painted, then with a slight scuff on the lower lip coming in a driveway it spider cracked up to the side marker. I didn't notice it until the sun hit it, then I saw the the lines reflecting.

I remember at the time it was painted, I didn't know any better, they said they would put hardener in the paint so it wouldn't chip. I should have known better, I knew about flex agent, just didn't click.

Clearly this paint needs to be removed completely before new paint is installed. What are the options for removal, any recommendations whether they try to DA sand the paint or should it be media blasted off? Any advice?

Thank You, I appreciate the feedback!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4