Question for you 'Cat-less' ones

Dustman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've been wondering after reading up on that thread

http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-srt10-coupe-discussions/617899-im-too-loud-help-2.html

regarding 'Cat' removal.

WHAT did most of you replace them with ?

High Flow Cats ? Just a pipe ?

I was wondering what OTHER option(s) to High Flow Cats are there ?? :dunno:

I currently have the Corsa track exhaust but thinking about ditching the Cats, but for what ?

Thanks for any further input/suggestions :2tu:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
only options i know of are....

a pipe (what i did)
a muffler
HF cats

thats about all ya can do

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Straight pipe here. Not to loud except under WOT, but that is what I wanted. Flames are awesome too....... Giving thought to tossing the Corsa too and just run headers and pipes all the way out.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
haha these guys that say catless with a straight pipe is not too loud have already lost their hearing!!

everytime I drive my car the next day my ears feel like they need to pop. headers, no cats and corsa.

OP
OP
D

Dustman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I appreciate the infos !

I'm leaning towards just putting in a pipe like Plumcrazy did :D

Did you just yank off the cats and welded in a pipe or how did you do it ? Any pointers would be great ! :2tu:

Just trying to figure out the 'set-up' below since I have yet to see the exhaust system as I wasn't present when they put in the Corsa at the dealership :smirk:

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm leaning towards just putting in a pipe like Plumcrazy did :D

Did you just yank off the cats and welded in a pipe or how did you do it ? Any pointers would be great ! :2tu:

just an FYI...Plums car has exhaust that exits the rear...your's does not :2tu:

.....I'm not excited about needind a hearing aid.:crazy2:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes mine is a gen2 so it exits the rear so its different. sorry. same idea though, cut them off and weld in a new pipe in place of them.

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Originally I just replaced it with a piece of tubing.

If that is too loud for you, replace the cat with a Moroso spiral flow muffler (thanks 1TONY1). It worked nicely and just took the edge off, but the car was still loud and mean but not ear piercing.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yea, the guys with Gen 2's have no idea. Our Buddy BLWNGTS had a Roe GTS, no cats, bellanger exhaust. Very loud, sounded great. But it exited out the rear, so in cockpit it wasnt as noticeable.

Now he has a Gen 3 like ILLSMOQ and I. He recently added headers, no cats. No he is always laughing about how his ears ring. No one ever understands until they drive a Gen 3. Its fun, but the noise definately gets to you. The side exhaust exits right by driver/passengers ears, so it seems extra loud. I have Corsa, headers and no cats, but I may put some metal sub cats back in to quiet it down.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a gen 2 GTS w/o cats and a gen 3 w/o cats. They are loud, but not too loud

The gen 2 is quieter with the exhaust coming out the rear but it is harder to see the flames...

The gen 3 is definitely louder with the exhaust coming out of the side.

BUT, there's nothing like winding the gears out in the 06, especially if you are next to a bike or "ricer", and watch them "freak" when you shoot a 3 foot blue flame at them... :D:D:D

OP
OP
D

Dustman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a gen 2 GTS w/o cats and a gen 3 w/o cats. They are loud, but not too loud

The gen 2 is quieter with the exhaust coming out the rear but it is harder to see the flames...

The gen 3 is definitely louder with the exhaust coming out of the side.

BUT, there's nothing like winding the gears out in the 06, especially if you are next to a bike or "ricer", and watch them "freak" when you shoot a 3 foot blue flame at them... :D:D:D

:D now we're talking ! :headbang:

Did you just replace the kats with a pipe or what is your setup ?

@ Hamrhead,
I saw those too and I felt the same way - they would be AWESOME but still a bit too pricey !