Question for you stereo guys

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the amp in question (doesn't seem like mega power) it looks like you wouldn't be sacraficing any power or quality by keeping the stock lead from the battery. On the other hand, if your running a pair of 10's 12's or 15's, etc. with like 300 watts going to each speaker, then you would definatley want new wiring with very thick gage all the way around..

Gerald

AJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there are tables available for sine power vs. wire gauge.

if you are running x rms watts, you should be at y wire gauge.

do a search on google.com

and no, for your power you dont need thicker power lead

alex
02 gts
few other cars

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LarryJ, you got the same car as mine, check out my install for ideas if you like. also, you will have to pull the tire to do the work properly, especially wiring to and from trunk (where im assuming youre mounting the amp)

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LarryJ,
I will have to disagree. That amp can draw 30amps. Your factory wire will not handle that load. I would run a fused 8 AWG wire from the battery. The Viper is easiest car to run the wire. A jack on the rear wheel, take off the wheel well shroud and the battery is right there next to the amp. It is almost too easy to skip this step.

While you are in there, you will want to run a dedicated ground. It too is right there on the frame next to the battery. The factory ground wire is too small also.

LarryJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm going to install new speakers and a JL Audio 300/4 amp and i was wondering if I will need to have the speaker wire from the battery changed. The stereo shop I'm going to doesn't have a lift and i would rather not have them pull the wheel if i can get away with it. But on the other hand if i'm spending all this money on a new system i want the best quality possible. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery