Question on fuel pressure issue

Yves

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was wondering whether anybody has some sound advice for me.
My 94 RT/10 is kind of a slow starter. Takes a couple of seconds before it fires up.
I had it hooked up to a diagnostic which indicated that the fuel pressure builds slowly, resulting in a lenghty stating process.
Recommendation of the mechanic was to change the fuel pump.

Before I plunge into this cost I want to make sure though that replacing the pump and filter would solve my issues. My idea of a fuel pump is that it either works or not, not that it works 'slowly'.

Anybody any pointers ?

Thanks in advance for your help !

PBJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yves,
My guess is your mechanic is correct. There is a check valve built into the module that keeps the fuel at the rail for your next start.I believe the regulator controls this if I am not mistaken...I could be wrong. If the fuel bleeds back into the tank the pump has to reprime the line to start the car. This would show up on a fuel gauge on a cold start by 0 fuel pressure at the turn of the key and gradually building up to 55+. If there is fuel in the line, it will be a instant pressure reading, not slow. Dodge does not exactly build the best fuel pumps, I have change more than my share at our dealership. Hope that helps a little.
Later,
Joe

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yves....The R/T 10 is a very difficult fuel pump to change ( because of its location). It will be expensive to change the first time, make sure your tech installs plastic rivets back.

Cudaman :usa:

Bob Woodhouse

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you wish to confirm it is a fuel pressure regulator; after the car has been setting for over an hour, turn the key on, then off three or more times. If the car then starts right away this will reinforce the diagnosis that you have a pressure regulator that is leaking back. When you turn the key on the pump runs for a second or two then shuts back off until the engine starts so some successive key on's will rebuild the pressure.

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
had the same problem. it sounds like teh fuel pump is bad.
Try what Bob said.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I second what Bob says! Again, after letting it sit for a significant time, turn the key at least three times. If it fires up right away, fuel pump is allowing the pressure to bleed down. I think the charge for my pump was $800. :eek: :eek: :eek: Fairly difficult job from the looks of it. :p :p

RSenn94RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 1994 RT/10 and it has the same problem.

I was told that replacing the fuel pump is a complicated process. I was told that it would require cutting from inside of the trunk to get to it.

I have had the problem for three years now. I just turn the ignition three times to represurize the pump and it starts right up.

I am not sure it is worth replacing the pump.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dodge only sells the complete bottle. It lists for approximately $500. You might be better off just replacing the pump A Walbro 255 is close and it gives you some additional volume. It is not a direct replacement, it needs a bit of massaging to make it work.

OP
OP
Y

Yves

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi everybody, thanks for the advice ! I tried the 3 step approach and the car started faster. Not immediately though (maybe after 3 seconds, used to be more like 7).

Also found a pump from a salvage yard. 200$. Got 10K miles on it.

Would the replacement be something I could do myself, or do I need special tools ?

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is is the pump only, or the complete pump-in-bottle. If it is the complete bottle, it will save you some time. The problem is you have to remove the gas tank on the RT10.

jp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Removing the tank is not a brainer. Just drill the rivets, unhook the straps, remove the fender wells, remove the gaspipe...then it's just to pull it backwards. Can be done in 5 hours. Check your Assembly Manual. No problemo.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang