Question re: Mopar Performance Upgrades

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been looking for a performance upgrade that is as close to factory-endorsed or OEM as possible. For example, Mopar made stage I, II and III upgrades for the Neon SRT-4. My reason is that both for the integrity of the car and for later resale value I like to keep things as manufacturer-approved as possible. The closest thing I have seen to a factory-based performance upgrade package for the SRT-10 Viper are the parts sold individually (or in the case of the current VCA raffle car and the VOI 9 edition cars) or as a package through Mopar:

(1) Competiton Coupe camshaft;

(2) Performance Headers;

(3) Swing arm oil pan (i.e., comp coupe oil pan) – I already have this installed on my car;

(4) Race controller ( I assume this is the Mopar ECU);

(5) Performance Exhaust;

(6) Lightweight flywheel

The VOI 9 car upgrade package also lists:

(7) Special pushrods;

(8) Special PRV valve;

(9) Special Valve spring shims;

(10) Select fit main bearings for improved oiling; and

(11) High performance oil filter.

The recent VOI 9 literature and website says that with this package the SRT-10 is rated at 550 hp and 580 ft-lbs of torque.

I gather from previous posts that some of these components will render the car “off-road use only.” My car needs to be useable on both public roads as well as the track so this would be a deal killer for me. Does anyone with knowledge/experience with these components know if they will automatically make the car fail an emissions test? Specifically, I live in Oregon so does anyone know if the above package will make the car automatically fail DEQ emissions testing or is it just a matter of Mopar saying that there is a risk of emissions noncompliance? JonB said the above package should not be a concern in Oregon until 2007 when our state goes to the more stringent California emissions standards. Still, I would like the car to useable on public roads after 2007.

Related questions: what are the primary culprits that make the car off-road use only? I assume that the ECU/race controller is one and maybe the camshaft whereas the oil pan, flywheel and oil filter should not impact emissions.

Sorry for the rambling post but this issue has confused me for a while. Thanks for any input you can provide.

/Rich

Roadrunner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just as an FYI, the SRT-4 stage kits also render the car "off-road use only", and it is due to emissions systems non-compliance...

As the Viper cam/exhaust/controller kit eliminates the catalysts, and is fuel tuned for go, not shed tests it too becomes "race" only.

418viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't see why you couldn't do the cam and the cat back with random flows. I wouldn't go with the spring shims but a new set of performance springs from comp cams. Instead of the Mopar ECU you might want DC to reflash your ECU after you make your mods. You might still pass the emissions, depends on the cam overlap and what is blowing by. Many aftermarket parts have not be EPA-CARB certified so they are classified as aftermarket only. Try callng some of the tuners, they may know

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine