Questions on my new 97 GTS

SteveMat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just purchased a 1997 GTS Viper and absolutely love it. I have had it for a week and it has more power than I know what to do with
smile.gif
I do have a interiour question however. The previous owner unfortunately smoked in the car. So after the car has sat in the garage for a couples days or so it has a strong smell built up. Any ideas on how to get rid of the smell. It goes away as soon as I roll the windows down but initially getting in it you get a good whiff. I can live with it but if I could get ride of that, it would further sweeten this car...

Steve

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm thinking that you have an odor built up in the carpet. If it were mine, I'd take it to be detailed and have them steam clean & treat all carpeted areas in the front & rear.

Jay Lopez

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a product called "Stinky-Be-Gone" from Griot's Gargage for my trucks. It's a mesh bag with lava rocks in it. The rocks absorb ordors. I haven't put one in the Viper yet, but the trucks never have a stale smell now. Not sure if it is effective with smoke smells, but Griot's Garage has great return policies. The product is here:
http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000&L2=L2_1006&SKU=92316

ewave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same problem with my GTS. The PO smoked, and was stinky. I used a product called "resolve". They sell it in stores next to all the laundry detergent and cleaning stuff. I sprayed a whole bottle over the entire interior (carpet, and headliner), then but a fan in the car with the doors open, and let it run overnight. 99% of the smell is now gone. Pretty amazing stuff. Only costs $2.99

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on your purchase, have you joined the VCA? We have occasional NC VCA events which you might be interested in attending - Janni Cone the prez can better inform you, but I believe there's a plan for a dyno test day up here soon in the RTP area.

MJBComp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another good product to use on the interior is "Fabreeze"...it can be purchased at any grocery store near the laundry stuff. It's basically an air freshener and works great on car interiors.

If the PO was a smoker the a/c vents and a/c fan will also probably smell like smoke when you turn it on. YUCK!!!

Sounds like previous posts will get you on the right track. Good Luck.

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fabreeze is the way to go. It's not an air freshener it's an oder neutralizer. When a friend's cat "marked" his drivers seat he thought he would have to buy a completely new seat. As a last resort he used Fabreeze and all is fine again. It's an amazing product.

-Matt

OP
OP
SteveMat

SteveMat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Between spraying the "Resolve" on the carpets and headliner, vacuuming (once before and after the Resolve), running a box fan overnight into the car, wiping down all the vinyl, and cleaning/conditioning all the leather - the cigarrette smell is pretty much all gone.

Come summer time if the I turn on the AC and it smells again I'll give the lava rocks / coffee grounds a try.

Thanks for all your help....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine