Quick Q, what did it cost to repaint your sidesills?

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hitting mine this upcoming week and would love to hear some numbers as to know if I am in the ballpark on them, unlike the minion that quoted me nearly 5 bills (out the door) for a rear muffler delete.

thanks,

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think there's a guy in Slaughter's area that refurbishes them, as in knocks the dings out, and paints them for about $500. Not sure though.

If there's somebody around I've got four that have seen some rough times.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan (Daniel Cole) did mine, great quality, stripped all paint off, aluminum welded about 20+ holes.
I will e-mail you pictures! Excellent price too!
Lauri

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a small ding in one of my sidesills. I paid $150 for repair and painting of the whole sidesill.

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$500 is alot to repair the sills. i wouldnt want the shop to use bodyputty on them.
Has anybody used bodyputty and had a problem? The best way i would think is taking the dent out and NO putty to do the repair right.

Max

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$500 is alot to repair the sills. i wouldnt want the shop to use bodyputty on them.
Has anybody used bodyputty and had a problem? The best way i would think is taking the dent out and NO putty to do the repair right.

Max

At some phase of dent repair, you really don't have a choice. Lead filler, is
not an alternative on the sills. The difference between a good job and
bad job, is how close the dent is brought back to approximate the original shape. This lessens the amount of Bondo used. Body putty(Bondo), applied right, will survive the heat of the sills. Many body shops are ill prepared to
fix the sills right, they ain't your run of the mill body panel. They are aluminum, exposed to incredible heat, and need special preparation
to close holes and remove oxidation. If your body shop is not prepared for
this type of work - go else where. The majority of body shops - WILL NOT -
completely strip the sill and weld the holes. In fact many shops will just
apply a sealer over the dents and add Bondo on top of that.

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another note on the side sills -
Considering the location of these parts, and the extreme temperatures they
are exposed to, they are usually in far worse shape than you think.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HP,

I agree. They corrode from the inside out and by the time it pops through there is a lot of decay throughout.

Sadly, because of the weak OEM design, some preventative maintanance is required to stay ahead of it.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think there's a guy in Slaughter's area that refurbishes them, as in knocks the dings out, and paints them for about $500. Not sure though.

If there's somebody around I've got four that have seen some rough times.

One of our local Viper guys runs a paint & auto-body shop (kennyhawkins.com), and for ~$500 or so (had other work done at the same time), my severely dinged in sidesill was rolled out to fix the ding, then repainted, looks excellent!

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dings on al are easy to pound out. See if he holds that price to grind out, tig weld and then refinish.

Mine was more of a gash actually...

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was some hammer-sized piece of metal (or something like that) in the road the other day. Traffic was too tight to swerve so I ended up running over it. Thank god the tires were ok, however it flew up and hit the side sill (right next to the exhaust pipe outlet) with a loud THWACK. Caused a VERY healthy dent and paint chip. It probably would have punched a hole through the door if it hit it there.

So looks like I'm in the market for a side sill repaint.

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want your side sills restored to 'like new' or better,
send them to Dan (DANSAUTO). He refrains from advertising on the forum, but
he is an expert at Viper side sills. His cost is $500 each, that includes
complete stripping, TIG welding the holes , prepping, and painting.
You can do a search and look him up.