QUICK SUNDAY BRAKE QUESTION!!!

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know fords have a bolt & clip to bang out, & GM has hex head nuts, but how do I get the pads out on an 02 viper? I have the front wheel off & I do not see how to get the pins out & the rotor looks 1 piece??

Thanks

OP
OP
AJT

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone?
Looks like rain & front tire is off. I did a search & the only question I have is how do you get the pins out??? Tapp them out with a punch???

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If its like mine its pretty easy, just need to punch the pins out from the back side of the caliper.

The front have two pins and the rear one.

Hope this helps.....

dblankenbaker

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bingo! From the outside to remove. From the inside to the outside to install. If it takes more than a mild knock, you're doing something wrong!!

OP
OP
AJT

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks. I did not want to start tapping until I was sure. Back to work!

Thanks
Andy

OP
OP
AJT

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One more question. Do you remove the 2 screws on the rear caliper& take off part of caliper??

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually do not remove the rear caliper at all. Take the pin out and slide the pads out. Then carefully take the disc out. you will need to do this by slowly angling the disc out but it is possible. You can slide the caliper a little to get some room. After you have the disc out than take a pair of long nose pliers and screw the rear pistons in "clockwise". You can do this easily if you unscrew the master cylinder cap. Do not remove completely so no fluid spills. Remember to tighten it down before thinking you are done. They put the disc back and reinstall new pads. Remember to put the little spring clip back before setting the pin. Do one side at a time so you can see how to put this spring clip back. Before you call it quits remember to pump the pedal a few times or you will be in for a suprise. Again make sure the cap is tightened down. The advice I listed above is for an early roadster and any pre ABS car. Don't remember if you said you had a new one with ABS.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Actually, you do remove the two guide pin bolts on the rear caliper (12mm head) to change pads IF working on an 01 or 02 Viper (ABS)...then, on reassembly, torque them to 24 ft-lbs...as I'm SURE you already figured out...just wanted to correct thread for next guy.