Quickest Viper..........

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
YO CASSSSHHHHH!!,

Good to see you made it back from the Keys and some R&R. Lets get the gandy gig together.

I can certainly vouch for the streetability of Tony's car. It has the air conditioning, power windows, locks, the works. If one wanted to run a Viper in NHRA Super Stock this would be the design model.

Best of Luck,

Tom
Http://btrviper.com

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, Sir Hiss how about some official stats, specs, engine, trany, etc. for your car? I know many people have commented on your car not just on the Viper club web site be many others. I would be nice to sort out fact from fiction. Maybe somebody can help you out and put it up on a website someplace.

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You go Sir Hiss!

We have seen you run and your car is also a daily driver....we got your back.....

It's great here in Italy......Ferrari....

NascarDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not that it's an apples to apples comparison, but, I'd disagree with you John as I've seen 2 V8 powered vipers running a full second faster than Hisser.

Anyone seen Dennis Radford's Pro Mod Viper? V8 running low 6.20's at 220mph. Full race cars- sheet metal interior.

Definately not street legal or daily drivable but to my knowledge, one of the fastest vipers on earth. The other being Billy Harper's Pro Mod, also running low 6.20's. Privateer combined effort not backed by DC at all. Billy and Dennis don't even call them Dodge Vipers, just Vipers.

Dennis runs a 706CI Chrysler engine built by Charlie Buck

Tough to compare that to Hisser's leather and AC,but, is a full second and 50mph worth it? Give me the Hisser any day!

Dave

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, why is it that the V10 engine can't be modded to produce the horsepower of the V8 that Sir Hiss uses? It isn't as big a displacement as the V8 but couldn't it have all the boring and other things done to it? I mean, it has a couple extra cylinders to play with doesn't it?

Is it just that V8's have been modded so much more and therefore the cost is much more reasonable? Is there more room for cubic inch increases because there is more room between cylinders than on a V10? Just trying to understand from a novice point of view why a V10 can't be modded to run even faster than a V8. I would have thought more cylinders is a good thing.

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm with Patrick,

I would like to know what the "brick wall" is with the v10.

While it could be the heads (I have seen modded LS1 heads flow more than modded Viper), surely no intake alternatives (but these could be fab'd), and maybe it just comes down to the ECU (they just don't like rumpity-**** cams)

And then it could be the owner profile combined with production numbers. Viper mods are usually done by "tuners" and not in one's own back garage. I mean, how many owners have pulled their heads off and started porting their own heads? While this has been the method a lot of fast private Chevy guys got real fast, this doesn't seem to be what's going on with Vipers. Too few do it yourself racers, too few speed parts, everything is way too expensive, ... the deck is stacked!

GO 4LO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does Sir Hiss use a solid axle in back or the stock rearend? It sounds like the car is putting out about the same numbers as some of Doug's cars but must be putting it to the ground far more efficiently to get 8 second ET's. If it is a solid axle, what did you go with - D60, 9"? If you can disclose that information, of course
smile.gif
Chris

GO 4LO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony, do you happen to remember the fastest time you ran with the stock rearend? Just wondering how much time you were able to pick up with the better launching characteristics of the solid axle. Thanks.
Chris

Robert1994

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a Chrysler sponcered Pro Stock car that was
caught running a "GM" block (DREC ?) engine (not legal with a Chrysler body). They have since replaced that engine with a "Chrysler" block. Perhaps it's guilt by association.
That same "GM" block is now being worked on to run in the
10k RPM range. "Short" stroke, big pistons. Same thing that
makes my Chevy 302 run so nice, but on a grander scale.
I don't know why that plan wouldn't work in a V-10. Ferrari
has worked wonders on that for years, but on a much smaller
displacement. There must be a trade off somewhere.
Our engines were designed by Lamroghini (no slouch !) and I
assume were designed to run hard and fast. Is this the largest
displacement Italian designed race engine ?