Race Deck owners...in here please!

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did some spring cleaning in the garage this weekend and the epoxy I put down before I got my first ACR back in June of '06 is starting to look a little worn. I'm considering putting in Race Deck this summer and was wondering what this stuff costs on a per tile basis?

Any special considerations or gotchas when ordering, installing or caring for this stuff that I should know?

Thanks!

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can tell you exactly as I have been pricing it myself of late for my garage.
The "regular" racedeck in diamond or coin pattern is about $2.79 per tile (sq foot).
This is with VCA discount. Shipping is free.

I have samples of both the regular and the 'Tuffshield" style.
The latter has a shiny surface and is supposedly "tuffer" than the regular, more resistant to surface abrasion and stain.
Quite beautiful looking I must say. It is a dollar a tile more however..:(

The will send you samples no charge.

rwd4rsk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just finished a complete redo of my garage a few weeks ago where I took it down to the bare walls. I looked all over at different flooring materials and everything I liked was in the $3 to $4 per sq ft range which was more than I wanted to spend as I needed just under 1000 sq ft. I eventually stumbled across the bigfloors.com web site. This is the owner of racedecks website where he sells all of his products direct with free shipping. I used the Garage Trac product which I bought for $2.14 per sq ft. It is a little lighter than racedeck but since I won't be rolling anything approaching 50,000 lbs per sq ft over it it seemed like a good choice for me. Other than being a little lighter weight it is designed and made exactly the same as racedeck. It went in easliy and I am exstatic with the result, with how easy they were to deal with and how quickly the product arrived at my door.. I just looked at the bigfloors web site and they are now selling it for $1.99 per sq ft.

OP
OP
K

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just finished a complete redo of my garage a few weeks ago where I took it down to the bare walls. I looked all over at different flooring materials and everything I liked was in the $3 to $4 per sq ft range which was more than I wanted to spend as I needed just under 1000 sq ft. I eventually stumbled across the bigfloors.com web site. This is the owner of racedecks website where he sells all of his products direct with free shipping. I used the Garage Trac product which I bought for $2.14 per sq ft. It is a little lighter than racedeck but since I won't be rolling anything approaching 50,000 lbs per sq ft over it it seemed like a good choice for me. Other than being a little lighter weight it is designed and made exactly the same as racedeck. It went in easliy and I am exstatic with the result, with how easy they were to deal with and how quickly the product arrived at my door.. I just looked at the bigfloors web site and they are now selling it for $1.99 per sq ft.

Sorry...I missed everything after "1000 sq ft." Your garage is bigger than the apartment I lived in when I my wife and I married. LOL. I need some pictures of that bad boy!

Thanks for the info.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure you've read all the other flooring threads whereas Race Deck is reasonably inexpensive and easy to install, but will too look dull and dirty after a while if not given routine TLC. Why not refresh the epoxy?

rwd4rsk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forgot I had to run home at lunch for a minute so here are a couple of prelim pictures. No cars or other toys in sight because the Viper is in Sacramento @ BBG getting some Wheaties installed. Will be back when the rain stops.

DSC_0003.jpg
[/IMG]

DSC_0006.jpg
[/IMG]

rwd4rsk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure why that didn't work but let's try again.

You must be registered for see images

SSGSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have race deck in one of my garages and it is great get the large tiles I think they are 18" I just use a swifer wet on it once and a while and cleans great. Race deck also has a cleaner you can purchase. Great stuff.

OP
OP
K

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure why that didn't work but let's try again.

Whoah...I missed yours before. That looks great too!

Question: How do these handle moisture? Does it drain through the seams and get trapped under the tiles?

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Question: How do these handle moisture? Does it drain through the seams and get trapped under the tiles?

It sets on seams which keeps the full weight off the floor.

I used Simple Green with a mop, pressure wash and then use a leaf blower to dry and force water out.

rwd4rsk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The tiles are designed so that there are channels that run under them and allow moisture to flow out to the low point of the garage. As a result water does not get trapped under them.

One other thing that I learned from talking to others and the company is to not use white. The company told me that the difficulty of keeping white clean is their number one complaint. Hence the reason I used the alloy silver color as my base.

OP
OP
K

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The tiles are designed so that there are channels that run under them and allow moisture to flow out to the low point of the garage. As a result water does not get trapped under them.

One other thing that I learned from talking to others and the company is to not use white. The company told me that the difficulty of keeping white clean is their number one complaint. Hence the reason I used the alloy silver color as my base.

Good advice. I'd probably use...oh, I dunno.....yellow and black. :D :D :D

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Take a look at my white tiles after four years.

BJG32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used Titan Tile. Cheap stuff on Ebay (I think around $1.25/sf shipped)...holding up well and cleans easily. Overall I am happy with it. The hard plastic flooring is loud to walk on until it settles a bit. Even after a year a lot louder than I would like, but I went the cheap route. I get nothing but compliments on the floor though.

24568_1460611993081_1166878073_31402085_1657046_n.jpg

24568_1460611793076_1166878073_31402081_22673_n.jpg

24568_1460611873078_1166878073_31402083_1921644_n.jpg

LiquoRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So people with... can you use a jack on it safely ? Is a car safe on jack stands ?

rwd4rsk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Race Deck claims they can handle rolling loads of 50K lbs sq ft and the Garage Trac that I used they say can handle 40K lbs sq ft (same manufacturer). Obviously the load of a Viper or other car would be way below those numbers (GVW/4 wheels) and the company told me that jacks and jack stands would be no problem. That said the product is made out of PVC so if you have jack stands that have sharp corners like mine do you might want to put something under them so that the floor does not get marred by the sharp corners.

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I carefully considered racedeck--got samples--laid them down under a jack and jacked up the front of my Viper--jack wheels dented the samples very bad. Decided to just go ahead and use porcelain tile thereby eliminating the issues with epoxy or plastic. Porcelain tile( not ceramic) is used in most new dealerships for showrooms and service bays. I did 3300 sq. ft. for $5K myself--took 3 weeks working in the afternoons only. The stuff is virtually bullet proof--use jacks all the time--drive the cars and a 7,000 lb Excursion all over it with no issues at all. I highly recommend it as a final answer to a garage floor. I just dry mop it in about 10 min. to clean it. Can wet mop it but never have had to. If a car comes in wet just let the mess dry well and then just dry mop the remaining dirt off as the porcelain tile is so teflon like in terms of repelling all stains. Floor is not slippery when walking on it--have to be careful when wet just like smooth concrete can be slippery when wet. I'll try to attach a few pics here to show you the result--Dave

Attachments

• DSC_0272.jpg
    DSC_0272.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC_0270.jpg
    DSC_0270.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC_0151.jpg
    DSC_0151.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC_0264.jpg
    DSC_0264.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 35

markk

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I think you need a '96 white/blue for your collection. Nice job on the flooring. I used 16" ceramic tiles in my basement and I agree with your comments about ceramic tile. In hindsight, I should have used 12" tiles because the 16's were heavy and hard to align.

BJG32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So people with... can you use a jack on it safely ? Is a car safe on jack stands ?

can't on mine. Solved the problem With 3/4 Ply squares under the jack and jackstands...

Mine is a floating floor with several pegs/feet underneath for air/water movement....I would imagine any similar set up would be the same way.

Photog1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go to racedeck.com and check out their gallery of photos. Mine has been down for over 5 years and it still looks great. Just had my viper on a floor jack no damage to the floor. Now i have a 4 post lift and no damage to floor. Can't say enough good about the product. VERY HAPPY!:2tu::2tu::usa:

You can see it in my avatar

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang