Racing stripes.

dru282

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anybody have a pdf of the racing stripe pattern for a 99 GTS. I have a plotter but I can't seem to find a pattern I can download anywhere. Any help would be appreciated.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The stipes are 8" wide with a 4-3/8" gap between.

I assume your looking for the lengths so you can install without having to cut?

OP
OP
D

dru282

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I may go a little wider but 8" may do. I am more concerned that the stripes aren't straight. They appear to have a curve in them. I can adjust widths and lengths with my plotter but I was really concerned again about the slight curve. Thanks

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
from another thread...

Our 1999 GTS with OEM measures stripes measures:

Each stripe is 8 inches wide...and there is a 4 3/8 inch space between the two stripes. These measurements are the same from front to rear.

A "search" will confirm same...use "stripe width", and, if you need to know it..."stripe length".

OP
OP
D

dru282

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, I guess the info I got on I slight bend in the stripes is not accurate. I will go ahead and cut them straight and at eight. Thanks guys.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea, Stick with the 8". Iv’e seen a few Vipers with wider and skinnier stripes in person and IMO it doesn’t do as much justice to the lines of the car as the OEM ones that were laid by the artistic geniuses that styled our GTS.

OP
OP
D

dru282

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No I will stick with the 8" but again I just thought there was a slight curve in the strip. I wasn't sure it was a true line due to the curve of the car. I knew once it was on it was straight but I wasn't sure about prior. If that makes any sense. lol. Thanks again. I had bought a pre cut kit but I wasn't satisfied with the quality of it.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The curves in the stripes you are referring to are as the raw material (vinyl sheet) is cut into stripes, if it is cut straight and applied to the curved body, it will be difficult to keep the stripes straight. This is most noticeable on the front and rear, the hood and roof not so much. If the stripes in those tricky areas are cut with a curve in them so when laid on the curved surface they appear straight, then bingo presto, that's a lot better way to do it.

In regards to your question of getting a file of those already laid out, I've never heard of it.

OP
OP
D

dru282

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks a lot Dave. That is what I was thinking. Now just finding the right curve. Thanks again.

Chinook47

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just used avery vinyl. I picked up a 8" wide, 200ft long roll of it pretty cheap. The Pre-cut kits **** because you pay the same for them as I did for the whole roll, and if you screw up one piece you are SOL. The curves of the front and rear are a pain in the ass, I layed out the locations, and they used a laser level to project a straight line down the car.

If you were to get a wider sheet of vinyl and cut the pattern into the sheet to make forming it around the curves easier i could suggest the following: measure the stripe locations, setup the laser level projecting the line on the car, mask the line with several layers of tape, layout a paper template over the stripe location (be sure not to move laser), and CAREFULLY cut the paper template with razor and straightedge along the laser line into the protective tape you applied under the paper. Transfer paper template to vinyl, and apply for real.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang