Racing & Track Days Oil - F.Y.I.

OP
OP
F

FastGuy68

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When is this oil going to be available. I think I see a group buy here. I'm in. Rick

I will check with my local Mobil Distributor but last I heard was May of 2011. Also, the price is about $98.00 per 6 qt. case so it's not cheap. Lastly, and maybe most importantly it is not "cat" friendly so unless you running an "offroad only" exhaust it might not be the best choice.

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
But...........under frequently asked questions ,not recommended for everyday street driving where vehicles use catalytic exhaust converters.

That leaves 90% of us out.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
ViperTony -- thanks for the clairvoyance as I would like Tom to chime in. Wondering if the issue concerning the converters is just to placate EPA , and no real issue?

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ViperTony -- thanks for the clairvoyance as I would like Tom to chime in. Wondering if the issue concerning the converters is just to placate EPA , and no real issue?

I think he posted about Mobil 1 racing oil at one point. If I recall correctly, he assumed that the Mobil 1 racing oil probably had less anti-wear additives being a racing oil and require more frequent oil changes. But he was waiting for some data at the time.

I currently run 15w-50 and was wondering if this racing oil is worth a switch.

JAY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I Thought AMSOIL Was better , given there data sheet, and re=testing after 1000 miles . :)

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Read the fine print...

"Mobil 1 Racing 0W-50 is recommended for applications where a higher viscosity and thicker oil film are required such as longer duration races where heat build-up may be an issue.

• It has boosted levels of anti-wear protection (zinc/phosphorous) well beyond those of ordinary automotive oils.
  • Mobil 1 Racing 0W-50 provides exceptional high-temperature protection in high RPM engine operation, even at temperatures up to 500°F (260°C).
  • It is not recommended for everyday general street use where vehicles use catalytic exhaust converters."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte