RADAR DECTORS?

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Many of us on this board, including myself, swear by Valentine One. Pricy, but worth it
You must be registered for see images

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking for a new one too and saw some site, which of course I can't remember now, that said the biggest fault of the Valentine was miss detections (automatic doors, etc.). That drives me nuts because it eventually makes you not pay attention to the detector or turn it off. This site mentioned that the top end Bel detected just as well and didn't have false alarms. The Bel didn't have the cool "which direction is the cop coming from" feature though if I recall.

Dirk Pitt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As an engineer, I don't know how you eliminate false positives given that many other consumer/industrial devices are emitting and the same wavelength as various radar bands.

The only way to eliminate false positives is to integrate the incoming signal and reject based upon some algorithm (looks at signal, determines if it is increasing in strength and contains other "known" characteristics of actual radar). I have a Valentine and there is a "Logic" mode which is intended to eliminate false positives in "noisy" radar areas. It seems to work just fine and does eliminate most extraneous alarms. The risk of any algorithm that eliminates false positives is that you are throwing away information that a signal was detected.

You are right, too many alarms and you ignore the device. Too few and you might miss an early warning signal. I do know that our local police department intentionally sits in "noisy" radar areas to confuse drivers with oncoming radar detectors. As I understand it, this is not that uncommon a tactic.

I have owned Bel in the past and the Valentine seems at least as good and the direction indicator is a great feature.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Valentine, at least in my opinion, is the best. It not only has incredible sensitivity, and the arrows hat show where the signal is coming from, but it also will count as many as 9 signals, and the arrows will tell you where the strongest signal is coming from. When you go through an area that always has a "false"...if the police have a trap set up...it will tell you that there are 2 signals.

Paul Fischer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Phiebert, it's easy to program out most of the "false bogeys" by simply deleteing the x band function from your Valentine One. This eliminates the greatest source of radar false alarms and in my area at least the police no longer use X band radar. There are three sensitivities as well. Putting them together I have had no radar related tickets in the time I have owned the unit, using it for runs from Texas to California through some of the heaviest radar traps in the country with the next best thing to diplomatic imunity.

If you'ld like the instructions on deleting bands on a V1 just e-mail me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery