Radar Detectors

red98RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a note....I keep seeing everyone praise the Valentine One radar detector which I hadn't heard of, so I started some research on it. Interestingly enough, while it is very highly rated, there are others which are just as good (or better) for less money! I have the ****** Passport 8500 and have been very pleased (saving MANY tickets). This detector does everything the Valentine does for 100.00 less. For a great review site see RadarBusters . Hope this helps someone save a ticket!!

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you think the results published by RadarBusters might be influenced just a bit by the products that they market?

There's a reason why we all pay the extra $100. The V1 IS better. You bought a good detector regardless, but you got duped by advertising promoted as third party results.

OP
OP
R

red98RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
actually....he sells the ****** because he likes it. not the other way around. Email him if interested...he is a nice straightforward guy.

OP
OP
R

red98RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes it does show separate signals and direction in one of it's modes.....but I must qualify a statement above. I recieved an email from "Roy Reyer" when I inquired info from the site. I have never spoken with him or anything so I suppose anyone could have sent it. Oh well, am just trying to help. :confused:

tim721

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i know you're just trying to help!

i was just wonderin if other detectors have the signal direction locator - i find it really helpful where i live

i can't complain though, the V1 has saved me more than once already in only 4 months..

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Valentine only sells direct. No discounts except on refurb units. Dealers hate this, and tend to be a little self serving in their evaluations.

This dialog has been going on for decades. Who's the best, and who's good, but cheaper.

I use a ****** when I travel because it is the best. (Battery powered, easily installed. and a Valentine in my own cars, because of the arrows, and experience.

After a little experience you get to like the Valentine's features better. Arrows, multi-targets, Rear scanning, and POP.

All detectors have strength and weaknesses. Often times 3 different "testers" will come up with 3 differnet "bests".

OP
OP
R

red98RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand.....and I'm sure you're right about the different testers having different favorites. It's like anything else...people all have their preferences.

For clarification, though...the ****** 8500 does have multi-target, direction and rear scanning. Don't know what POP is.

Probably the only thing EVERYONE agrees on is that RED Vipers are the best! :D

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No problem red. We've just ALL read the reports and the truly unbiased ones always place the V1 on top. I've used both the ****** and the V1 and IMO the V1 is far more "usable" on the street.

gts_2001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 6 V1's , one hard wired in each car (except the SRT-C, and that is coming soon). One thing not mentioned is the "Stealth" module for the V1 that no other manufacturer seems to have.

It has always been my understanding that what radar cops look for when scanning cars is the "telltail" red or yellow light from the radar detector and / or the almost instant flash of brake lights. Virtually all of my police acquaintances from the Michigan State PD down to small town "Local Yokels" have said that they will always stop someone whom they know or suspect has a radar detector and never give them a break.

I had to break myself of the habit of hitting the brakes when the V1 goes off. With the stelath module, they never see a flashing "telltail".

All of the info I have seen states that the V1 is at least as good as and most often better than the competition. Adding the stealth module into the equation IMHO makes it hands down the best!

Just my $0.02 :headbang:

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another point to consider. The V1 is built in the USA. The company I work for does business with the contract manufacturer who builds the V1. I can tell you that the electronic manufacturing processes used to produce the unit are first rate, and should result in a reliable device. Given the harsh environment in which the unit operates (hot and humid in the summer, cold as hell in the winter), devices produced with poor manufacturing processes will corrode and fail.

BTW, I don't know anything about the ****** manufacturing processes, so this is not meant as a comparison, only an endorsement for V1.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The guy that owns Valentine used to run ******.

Both units will detect radar.

One has more features and cost more, other has less features and is cheaper.

Don

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been through several different Radar Detectors. I prefer the V1 and am very used to it. I would be hard pressed to change. My biggest dislike is the size of it. It looks ancient, however, this is due to the upgradability of the unit when new bands are released. Atleast, this was always my understanding.

YoungGun

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am think of getting an Rocky Mountian C450 (the newest) What do guys think about them?? Good Bad or just 'OK'.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No matter which direction, doesn't "BEEP" = Brake???

Beep shouldn't always = brake with a V1. You need to look at the arrows first. Rear arrow --not necessarily. Your brake lights are a dead giveaway to a cop directly behind---just like the nose taking a big dip in the front under heavy braking--especially at night. I have been stopped for 'nose dipping' after being shot. As far as the stealth mode goes, if your rear window is tinted, they'll be no tell tale lights that can be seen if the detector goes off.

I've had several V1's and other various detectors--though none other since my first V1 around 1994. I have 2 now.

Another fact not mentioned here yet is the price for upgraded V1. It is roughly $100 less than a new ******. If I had bought every new Passport out since my first V1 in 1994, I'd have hundreds of dollars more invested in the Passport than the V1. I've upgraded the V1 each time a new version came out. I think about 3 times over the years. You send in your old unit--Old Mike sends you a brand new one. I have no intention of switching any time soon. The arrows and the 'bogey count' does the trick for me. I don't need any more bells and whistles than that

Steve

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My opinion on ****** passeport 8500:

1. It is ******* the breaks and the cars that follow you, doesn't detect early the radars
2. It is good below 80mph
3. Above 80mph better to open your eyes and have another car in front of you speeding faster than you
4. red98RT10 is working for the company that makes the 8500
5. red98RT10 is only speeding 70mph.

OP
OP
R

red98RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL Schulmann :laugh:

No, I don't work for any radar detector companies...I am a family doctor in Mississippi.

You can ask my friends how fast I drive...it's an inside joke about how I never slow down. And, it's OK if you guys don't like the ******, I was just offering another opinion.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I too use the V1, Valentine has their stuff together when it comes with radar-laser detection. I currently have two.

One great V1 feature is it's update ability. Send it back and they will update to the latest specs for a reasonable cost.

POP is a new feature of some radar guns. It emits and receives a signal so quickly that many detectors cannot pick it up. Valentine units that display P O P during start-up contain the technology needed to pick this signal up. IMPORTANT...the makers have admitted that POP is NOT reliable enough to issue citations, and have warned that citations written with POP are not legit. Now how many police departments are using POP either unknowingly or otherwise to write citations? Also how much of the public knows this?

To answer another question above...laser is still in limited use. Needs to be in a stationary position, held on target and aimed carefully. Detection is much harder due to the thin laser light beam, but easier to spot at the side of the road.

I saw something above about Rocky Moutain goods. Last time I read a test they were completely inaffective.

One last note. I remember reading somewhere that there was some degree of bad blood with radarbusters and Valentine. I don;t remember what it was, but it has surely skewed their test results.

98viperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a $49.00 Cobra unit from Wally-World. This thing goes off every chance it gets. I think that cows also set it off, because I can be out in the middle of a field and it will go off. But by it always going off it reminds me that I need to do the speed limit. I however like the V1.

cagleman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who here has installed/used an active laser jammer? Looking at the Radarbuster website I was noticing their Blinder Laserjammer that looked quite nice. Seems like it would be a nice compliment to an ****** or Valentine, or whatever.

cagleman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My question though was about the laser jammers, which does not appear to be against the law

Jammers and the Law
One question that we are frequently asked "isn't jamming laser against federal law?" No it isn't. Laser is a beam of light and laser is regulated by the FDA. Currently there is no federal law prohibiting you by owning what amounts to "a brighter beam of light then the cops have".

Granted the quote says there is no "Federal" law (I am not really sure about Colorado law). I know several of the routes I drive are hot spots for cops with laser radar guns. Just curious if anyone has experience with them.

Don

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My question though was about the laser jammers, which does not appear to be against the law

Jammers and the Law
One question that we are frequently asked "isn't jamming laser against federal law?" No it isn't. Laser is a beam of light and laser is regulated by the FDA. Currently there is no federal law prohibiting you by owning what amounts to "a brighter beam of light then the cops have".

Granted the quote says there is no "Federal" law (I am not really sure about Colorado law). I know several of the routes I drive are hot spots for cops with laser radar guns. Just curious if anyone has experience with them.

Walking that grey line. If you never use it, you don't have to worry about the laws changing.

This is one thing I wouldn't want to have to concern myself with. If your speeding and you get pulled over, smile/sign and deal with it in court ;)

KurtZ RT-10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a ****** SR-7 with blinders . it works great! had the laser lock on me doing 85 in a 65 .The radar went off, and had a readout saying laser shifting then saw the cop jump in his car after me . as I was pulling over he stayed behind the car that was following me and pulled them over.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JKGiant