Radar detectors

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need to buy a new Radar Detector right away.......MY old one bit the dust and I do not know what is the best, most liked, effective Detector that you guys reccommend????? Your recomendation is what I am going to go by and buy today or tommorrow......input please......Thanks :eater: :dunno: :rolleyes:

Sam 01 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love my Passport 9500, the range is superb, and the GPS function to store known false alarms and speed traps means that when it beeps, you better slow it down.
:)

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, I have NEVER used a radar detector in any vehicles I've owned & I've never gotten a speeding ticket on the highway (I usually wait for that one car that comes blowing by you & just jump in line). I mean does ANY radar detector reach out farther than what the cops have! just wondering?

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, I have NEVER used a radar detector in any vehicles I've owned & I've never gotten a speeding ticket on the highway (I usually wait for that one car that comes blowing by you & just jump in line). I mean does ANY radar detector reach out farther than what the cops have! just wondering?
You will see the cops up to two miles away while the are looking at other traffic. The V1 will tell you which direction the threat is coming from. If there's no other traffic and the cop isn't running his gun constantly (instant-on or POP-mode) and he see's you first and gets a lock, you're caught. ...don't ask how I know. Or if they're on a bridge hiding with LIDAR, you're caught when your detector goes off. (no way to combat LIDAR, other than to see them using it before they see you)...don't ask how I know. You have to learn how to use a detector, know when it's effective. and when not. Slow down when you're not sure. It provides you with information, and you interpret that. At least you have a fighting chance. Not 100% fool-proof....don't ask how I know. .......watch out for cops.

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need to buy a new Radar Detector right away.......MY old one bit the dust and I do not know what is the best, most liked, effective Detector that you guys reccommend????? Your recomendation is what I am going to go by and buy today or tommorrow......input please......Thanks :eater: :dunno: :rolleyes:

This topic has been discussed in great detail already. Check this thread out. Hopefully it will point you in the right direction. Good luck! :2tu:

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/650071-Radar-Detector-Question...?highlight=radar+detector

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have four V1's if that tells you anything. Others are good; but, I do like the arrows so you known which direction the signal is coming from.

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will see the cops up to two miles away while the are looking at other traffic. The V1 will tell you which direction the threat is coming from. If there's no other traffic and the cop isn't running his gun constantly (instant-on or POP-mode) and he see's you first and gets a lock, you're caught. ...don't ask how I know. Or if they're on a bridge hiding with LIDAR, you're caught when your detector goes off. (no way to combat LIDAR, other than to see them using it before they see you)...don't ask how I know. You have to learn how to use a detector, know when it's effective. and when not. Slow down when you're not sure. It provides you with information, and you interpret that. At least you have a fighting chance. Not 100% fool-proof....don't ask how I know. .......watch out for cops.
Thanks Allan, I guess I just need to jump in line when he blows by me. We're never in the Viper anyway, its Always the Family vehicle (on road trips) well anything up to 5 hour drive, anything longer than that, we fly!

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take the Viper on a long road trip. It's a blast. I've gone to Vegas twice, about 2500 miles round trip for me. Once with stock exhaust, then with the Mopar race exhaust. Definitely noticed a difference. I don't understand why this car has a radio. Anyway, V1 all the way, no tickets.

Green Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried several others and after reading several commenst bought a V1, then added a second for my wife.

The arrow indicators and "bogey" counter are a real plus and help you find hidden radar traps. There are other detectors with voice, etc but the arrows and counters are not a gimmick, you learn to rely upon them just like your mirrors.

They have paid for themselves at least 10x over, even if you don't speed by much they help you be aware when the group in front of you is going to nail the brakes. We use them in all of our cars, why not?

Good luck with whatever you purchase but my recommendation is the V1.

moisesal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Radar Detector

Valentine1, 4 Me is the best! Check it out!
http://www.valentine1.com/

F

FrgMstr

Had my first ****** in 1986, have my ****** 9500ix today. Great product. There is a great solid mount now sold through ****** that comes with the pigtail you need to plug into the back of your mirror as well.

You must be registered for see images

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a plug in the back of the mirror??? I have also used ****** Passport (portable) and it works great except for laser tag, which has gotten me once in twenty plus years of use. Two miles range would be a PITA imo. I prefer close range (1/2 mi) alerts only.

F

FrgMstr

Is there a plug in the back of the mirror??? I have also used ****** Passport (portable) and it works great except for laser tag, which has gotten me once in twenty plus years of use. Two miles range would be a PITA imo. I prefer close range (1/2 mi) alerts only.

There is a 12v in on the back of the mirror that is used to power the lights in the Gen III and Gen IV cars. You just pigtail off those leads. Super easy to do.

I bought mine a couple years ago from some guy online, but one comes with the kit I linked above.

You must be registered for see images

Here is a link for one like I have.

Last edited by a moderator:

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jamming a radar is illegal.If the cop using LIDAR you're hooped.Once that arrow on your V1 shows the direction the signal coming from, you're busted .The only time these radar detectors save your skin is when there're other cars in the mix and you're somewhat behind them.If you drive a Viper,Corvette, Porsche,the cop would pick them before they pick a nondescript vehicle like a Hyundai.I have the ****** Passport 9500ix but still don't trust it 100%.Most of the time i see the cop the same time the warning beeps sound.It helps with warning of marked areas of cameras and known radar traps with its built in GPS program.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jamming radar is illegal. "Shifting" laser signals is not.
The laser "jammers" on the market (and that I have) are passive devices that shift the laser signal shot at you, away in a different direction instead of back to the cop's laser gun.
They have saved my ass quite a few times, because you're right, by the time your laser detector goes off, you've already been tagged.

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jamming a radar is illegal.If the cop using LIDAR you're hooped.Once that arrow on your V1 shows the direction the signal coming from, you're busted .The only time these radar detectors save your skin is when there're other cars in the mix and you're somewhat behind them.If you drive a Viper,Corvette, Porsche,the cop would pick them before they pick a nondescript vehicle like a Hyundai.I have the ****** Passport 9500ix but still don't trust it 100%.Most of the time i see the cop the same time the warning beeps sound.It helps with warning of marked areas of cameras and known radar traps with its built in GPS program.

Do some research...Laser shifters work. Jamming radar is illegal, but laser jammers are not. Like mentioned above certain states do not allow either. There is a another forum dedicated to radar detectors and laser jammers. I would look there for more informative information rather than opinions.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456