Radio help please

SNAKE BITE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ever since getting my car back from winter storage followed by new head gaskets install, I have no sound out of my radio. The radio powers up and comes on normal, just no sound from any speakers. Any suggestions on what to look for would be appreciated. Thanks, Andy

OP
OP
S

SNAKE BITE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I checked and have power to both amps that are in the trunk. Can someone tell me what needs to be taken apart to get to the back of the stereo?

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Pull the bezel off around the radio (it snaps on - only thing to worry about is scraping your dash above the radio with the metal clips), two screws hold the radio in. Takes maybe 3 minutes to get the radio out (assuming you have a phillips screwdriver :cool: ).

OP
OP
S

SNAKE BITE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I must have done something wrong because it wasn't quite as easy as two screws and the radio is out. The radio is only held in by two screws, but the tabs that the screws go through are too wide to remove the radio from the dash without taking out the driver and passenger panels above where your knees sit and also removing the screws from the dash so it could be flexed out enough to get the radio out. Still not more than a 10 min job.
All radio connections are good, so I think I'll try and swap a different radio in and see if that fixes the problem, unless anyone has another idea.

1MEANSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Prince Frederick Maryland, On the Chesapeake Bay
I believe our radios are passive (meaning the amp provides the power for sound) so it would lead me to believe that the problem does not have to do with the radio, but the amplifier. I cant imagine all 4 channels in the amp going out at one time, but it may have. Even though the amp has power, it doesn't mean your channels cant be burnt out in the amp. Maybe it's time for an upgrade, ditch the radio and amps and install new ones :) Let us know what you find?

venom1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
check the remote turn on lead from the amp to the radio. when you turn on your radio it sends 12 volts to the amp and turns the amp on. Just because you have power from the amp doesnt mean it is on, it only means that you have power from the battery and it is ready to be turned on by the remote turn on lead from the radio. alpine's remote amp turn on lead is blue or sometimes it is blue with white stripe.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I must have done something wrong because it wasn't quite as easy as two screws and the radio is out. The radio is only held in by two screws, but the tabs that the screws go through are too wide to remove the radio from the dash without taking out the driver and passenger panels above where your knees sit and also removing the screws from the dash so it could be flexed out enough to get the radio out. Still not more than a 10 min job.
Hmmm... My apologies - I mistakenly extrapolated that the '95 and '00 radio installation were representative - didn't know the '94s radio ears interfered with the dash on removal.

ArlyDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I suppose I had a similar situation with my radio. At night when I was about to turn, I put my turnsignal on and the music went off...but the backlight was still on in the head unit. But no numbers or music played. It pissed me off for 2 days. Then I took my headunit out unplugged all the wires from the back, cleaned everything out, put her back together and she works fine ever since. It was weird, but She works now! You can try that. It should take about 20-30 minutes.

OP
OP
S

SNAKE BITE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just can't seem to find enough time in the day to take things to get looked at.
I don't have any blue color or combination blue wire coming from the back of the radio, but did notice(as mentioned) that the amps do power up when radio is turned on.
Another question...There is a black block attached to the wire harness in the center of the trunk. Does this block have anything to do with the stereo/amps?

venom1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I checked and have power to both amps that are in the trunk. Can someone tell me what needs to be taken apart to get to the back of the stereo?
Power to both amps sounds to me like you have put in an after market amp on top of the existing amp, and the black box in the trunk in more than likely a noise suppressor, which indicates that you have a ground loop problem. If it is a noise suppressor it might be bad. take the two amps and gounds them together eliminating the black box and see what happens.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Power to both amps sounds to me like you have put in an after market amp on top of the existing amp
Perhaps you missed his signature block where he mentions he has a '94 RT/10. Gen I cars had two amplilfiers, so him mentioning two amps is not necessarily an indication of any modifications.

venom1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sorry man I am a 6 month viper owner, and just figured it had 1 amp like my 2000gts. I had no intention to be misleading. Sorry snakebite

venom1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know this is a viper forum but I want to let other viper owners that I do know what I am talking about when it comes to stereos. Here is a pic of my 94 300zx twinturbo that I installed a custom stereo from scratch. I currently have the interior of my 2000 gts completly gutted for the soul purpose of Dynamat, and complete stereo overhaul.
8944stereo01-med.jpg

OP
OP
S

SNAKE BITE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
First, thank you very much to all that helped!
Problem solved.
There is a (factory)power wire comming off the battery(behind the rear tire) that goes up to one of the amps. Somehow my battery is leaking acid and inturn the acid ate through the wires and broke one of them right at the connector. One of those things no one could have known. Again thanks to everyone who helped.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang